Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f has ok'd one mod, and one mod only to the car: I've convinced her that changing the gears from 3.27s to 4.10s would make the car much harder to stall in first. Gees, I'm sly aren't I? :grin:

This is really great news for me and getting in the 12's. I'm thinking the 4.10s should make 1.7X 60fts a reality. Now the only question is, will this be enough to break through? It's going to be close.

1,169 Posts
410's should be good for 3 ten's. If she really loves you she should let you get 456's.
I can't wait to see your new ET's. :-B

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4.56s LOL!

You know, seriously, alot of the NA Cobra guys are running 4.56s or 4.88s

Now thats some man-ly gears :grin:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I replaced the factory 323s in my '64 Max-Wedge Belvedere with 456s and I went immediately from the mid 13's to the mid 11's. Of course that was with a Stage 3 426. With the stock gears, all it would do is fry the tires,................... but it looked damn good! :grin:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok heres a question??? How hard is it to change gears and where could i find some info on it! Also does changing the gear ratio in any way effect the traction control! Maybe some pics of your gear change would be possible! :smile: Thanx Havgun #1676

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-11-14 16:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also have a quick question for ya JB. You say first "mechanical" mod, does this imply you already have a "non-mechanical" mod? (i.e. chip?)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-14 17:02, Bullitt1164 wrote:
I also have a quick question for ya JB. You say first "mechanical" mod, does this imply you already have a "non-mechanical" mod? (i.e. chip?)
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I said that because my only other "mods" are a K&N and the nitto drag radials.

Personally, I think a chip is a waste of money on a stock or near stock car. You need some serious mods like new cams, headwork, intake massaging, headers, offroad exhaust, etc. to justify the expense. I don't believe on off the shelf chip will benefit our cars much. You'll see better results for your money by waiting until you have accumulated several mods on the car and then burn a chip one time.

Now on a blown or nitroused car, obviously a chip is mandatory from the get-go IMO.

And as far as the gear install, I won't be doing it. It actually is pretty intense for a shade-tree mechanic and you can fug it up relatively easy. I'll pay a professional.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had been reading about gears and had come to the conclusion that 3.73's would be best for me. Now I'm questioning myself again. How will the 4.10's affect highway driving? I make a lot of 200 mile highway trips.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here,s a question? What about 3.55s? Our cars are quick from the get.MY opinion is we need a little help from 2nd to 3rd.I think 3.73 or 4.10 would slow the top end of the 1/4.Not to mention tire spin.Cobras rev higher 6800 to our 5800 so gears help..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that depends on what tire you're running Dan. If you're on street tires and no plans to ever run DR's or slicks at a drag strip, then the 3.55s might be a great compromise for the street and strip.

If you want to run even DRs, then 3.55s aren't going to cut it. The fastest NA 2V Ford guys are running at least 4.10's. Some might even be running 4.30's. The reason is the launch: you can lower the 60ft a great deal more with the 4.10s over say 3.55's. The 1st gear multiplication is how you get the car out of the hole without bogging.

I'm having to really slip the clutch from around 4600 to get a 1.88 60ft on the stock gears. It takes all I have in terms of skill to get the car to 60ft under 1.90. Its a real fine line between spinning and bogging (mainly the latter). With 4.10s, a question of bogging is almost non-existent. It's set the nittos at 17psi, do a nice burnout, stage at 4800, and drop the clutch. I'd imagine slipping of the clutch will not be needed.

If it works right, the car should shoot out of the box like a spotted a$$ ape. :grin:

·
Registered
965 Posts
I know for sure that a chip makes a big difference in a stock motor. I had the dealer install one a few days after I first bought mine, and it really did allow the car to breathe quite a bit more. I could feel it in the seat of my pants.

·
Registered
394 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-02-20 16:59, bullitt1658 wrote:
I know for sure that a chip makes a big difference in a stock motor. I had the dealer install one a few days after I first bought mine, and it really did allow the car to breathe quite a bit more. I could feel it in the seat of my pants.

JBVobra is right. A chip isn't going to do much if anything for a stock motored car.

I do not trust any "Seat of the pants" improvement. keep in mind that you have just spent $$ on a mod and you want to feel a difference. After doing a mod you always pay more attention to the way the car drives. A change in the sound of the exhaust will be perceived as a peformance boost. IF you want to reall know whether or not there was an improvement get it dyno'ed or take it to the track.

I just recently went to have a custom chip burned, which is better than any off the shelf chip, and the results were that I could only get very minor improvements over stock. There are things the Chip manufacturers can do to make it feel like you have more power without really having more power such as bumping timing at initial throttle tip-in. This makes the car feel more responsive but actually does little to nothing for performance. In the case of the Bullitt they are pretty well tuned straight from the factory.

I'd like to see somone who has emperical data that proves me wrong, but I don't think it is going to happen.

Eric

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'd like to see somone who has emperical data that proves me wrong, but I don't think it is going to happen.

Eric

you're right Eric, you'll be waiting a LONG time :grin:

really guys, SOTP results can be very misleading. Back up your claims with either improved track results or higher dyno drum numbers. That's the only way to REALLY know.

And btw...the gears have never gone in the Bullitt. I bought a new car just recently and it's been consuming all of my time. It looks like the Bullitt is going to stay bonestock.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JB VOBRA on 2002-02-22 11:09 ]</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts