Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, #5508's 1st service is due. What fluids is everyone having the dealer put in? I have a couple other things I need them to look at. Like hooking up the speed volume, fixing the cigarette lighter and replacing my 1-2 shift fork (btw, what is the TSB number?). I have to say, I'm a bit nervous about putting ner in the hands of my local Ford Service Dept. They tend to do things like scratch paint or tint! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My personal opinion is not to have the dealer do oil changes unless it's free. I have mine changed at the Valvoline place on San Mateo(around Uncle Cliff's). I would make the switch to synthetic as well. All other fluids should just be checked, and not replaced yet.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Wade,
The differences in sythetics IMO are semantics. For normal use we will never notice the difference between any of them. I use the Valvoline synthetic and never had any oil related trouble, I use Mobil 1(got a good deal on a few cases) in my race car and also have never had any trouble with that either. If you don't do your own changes, get whatever synthetic the place has. For reference the Valvoline place on San Mateo charges me $52 to do a sythetic change. Hope that helps.

Haven't heard from you in awhile Wade, what's new in your neck of the woods?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
$52!!!
When I hit 500 miles I was going to stop by the dealer and have them change it, they have a quick oil change section, less than 30 min.... Stop by in the morning and there was a long line. Screw it went on about some errands. Stopped back on the way home. No one in line and it was 2 hours before they closed. Pull up and they ignore me. Pimple face kid walks out and gets in a pickup and just sets there next to the door. After about 5 mins I say screw it, drive around and purchase 5 qts of the 5W-20 and go home and do it myself, like always. Like I was going to let the zit popper touch the car anyway.
No difference in oil? Check the wear ball tests, that will tell you what is going on inside.
Want to really see how the engine is wearing then send a sample here
http://www.titanlab.com/content/inside/products/Guarantee.html
Amsoil will do it also. I don't know of any other oil company that has a section for oil analysis. All synthetics the same?
Here is a link to one of my pages that has lots of links and info for the oil companys information.
http://www.quicksurf.com/ths/Bullitt/BUPG5/
Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-11-23 12:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
And my rebuttal.
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>For normal use we will never notice the difference between any of them. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
If this was a high compression race engine, or CAT diesel that tows 100,000#s around and is expected to last 1000K miles then oil will have a larger impact on wear. Most of us have never seen an engince failure due to oil quality, and that's including dino oil as well.

For me synthetic is more for piece of mind than anything else since I have a 30# weight off the front of my motor that spins at 50K rpms that uses the same oil.

Synthetic does offer increased ability to remain stable over the miles, where as dino oil *can* break down. Changing it at 3K will avoid these problems with either type.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Nope you are right,
I have never seen an engine failure due to oil. BUT I have seen lots of old tired engines that probably could have benefited from a better quality oil.
At $52 you are paying a premium and I just didn't think you were getting your moneys worth.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You could be right about not getting my moneys worth. I pay that premium because almost all the techs there are Mustang gear heads. I have taken all my street driven Mustangs there over the years, and they seem to give a little extra attention to detail because it IS a Mustang. Hell, I've wasted $50 on crazier things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts