Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know when Ford started using the programing that the Bullitt now uses for using two different octanes. What this program is called and how long has Ford used it. Has it been used before this year and in what Mustangs if it has?
Thanks for the info. In a discussion on another forum and would like this info. to be as accurate as possible. Also need to know if there is any difference between the brakes on the 08 Bullitt and the regular GT. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
From all the reports, most of which you can find here from the time of the Bullitt's release, the '08 Bullitt is the first ford to use this dual octane strategy.

Steeda has come out with a new tune they are touting that makes adjustments 'on the fly' but from what I've read I don't think it is the same and seems to be more specific to supercharger use.

There is a lot of speculation about what Ford is doing, a lot nay sayers and people who think they've just adjusted knock sensors, but I believe there is more to it than that or we'd have seen it being used before, especially by the Hotshot tuners.

The Bullitt uses specific to the car front brake pads and GT500 rear brakes.

I can just imagine the conversaion you're having.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I believe its called a "dual tune computer". I've never seen it before--all part of the constant engine development going one with Ford, GM, you name it to increase fuel economy and still keep performance. Hopefully an engineer can chime in. Obviously the key was getting the sensors developed to quickly 'sense' the type (octane level) of the fuel used and then shift the engine computer to a different tune.

The brakes on the Bullitt in 08 are different from a standard GT only as to the following:

1. Nicely painted to match the wheels-just look darn better!!!
2. Rear calipers get GT500 Brake Pads--a more aggressive pad
3. Front calipers get pads made from GT500 type material--they cannot use the GT500 pads on the front as the Calipers are different...so we get 'unique' pads made from the same material.
2 & 3--the slightly more aggressive pad should add a little bit of braking power, reportedly less fade with repeated use, will probably provide more dust to coat yor wheels with and will wear the rotors slightly faster ie more aggressive.

The brake change is not as substantial as in 01 when they put Cobra brakes on the car...The front GT500 calipers (Brenbo I believe per RC) will not clear our wheels, thus could not be used--although I question this.

I swear in reading the 08 Ford Racing Parts catalogue..the GT500 calipers list wheel numbers they fit and our wheels seemed to be included if I was reading parts numbers correctly (but I could be wrong)--but again note--the GT500 front calipers do not come painted in the color to match our wheels and that 'match' is part of our 'style' with the brake calipers blending into our wheels 68 style.

In either case--01 or 08..the improved brakes/pads are nice but in no way do they come close to a real brake upgrade as in going with larger- say 14 in slotted rotors and 4 or 6 piston calipers.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dang-- RC beat me by a minute...hahaha...have a great weekend RC!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a foreign car guy saying the 08 Bullitt is nothing special and no different than the 08 GT. I told him the brakes, front seats where not like the GT.
his remark about the octanes:
(Also, this adaptive spark strategy is something that even the regular GT's have had since 05. This has been part of the Spanish Oak programming since its inception... Ford just chooses to MARKET it now.)

I really need to know if his statement above is correct or not. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I have a foreign car guy saying the 08 Bullitt is nothing special and no different than the 08 GT. I told him the brakes, front seats where not like the GT.
his remark about the octanes:
(Also, this adaptive spark strategy is something that even the regular GT's have had since 05. This has been part of the Spanish Oak programming since its inception... Ford just chooses to MARKET it now.)

I really need to know if his statement above is correct or not. Thanks for the help everyone.
his statement is not correct. The Bullitt is tuned for Premium octane but will run fine on regular. Most cars tuned for Premium will detonate if burning Regular.

Now a GT will of course run on Premium as well as regular but it is tuned to run on regular and gets no benefit from Premium fuel.

Since the foreign car owner made his statement tell him the onus is on him to prove his statement.

Edited to addd, he may be confusing the use of dual knock sensor programming since '05 with the dual octane strategy.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Mustang 3 said:

I swear in reading the 08 Ford Racing Parts catalogue..the GT500 calipers list wheel numbers they fit and our wheels seemsed to be included if I was reading parts nubmers correctly (so I could be wrong)--but again note--the GT500 fornt calipers do not come painted in the color to match our wheels and that 'match' is part of our 'style' with the brake calipers blending into our wheels 68 style.
I have seen it stated as well that the GT500 brakes will fit any of the 18" wheels.
I've seen kits listed stating that clearly. I've also read that they won't.
We'd have to measure the inside of our whee;s and the GT50 wheels to know for sure.
Of course someone who owns both could just try to put their Bullitt 18's on their GT500 :wink:

I'm not positive but I think the GT500 calipers are from Brembo

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
I was told in San Francisco at the Bullitt launch was that this was the first production vehicle from Ford that uses the adaptive spark tech. That was straight from the Chief Engineer on the Bullitt project.

From the Press Release materials:

Ford engineers modifed the 2008 Mustang Bullitt chassis and suspension to fine tune the handling. Mustang Gt shocks and struts were swapped out for new units that allowed engineers to dial in a more agreesive drving dynamic

Cold air is introduced to the filter via the specifically designed CAI that draws cold air from the front of the hood reducing air temps.

Red line boosted by 250 RPM to 6500

Wheels are unique 18 inch euro flange.
Brakes are different in that they have better pads to reduce fading.
Throttle was reflashed to obtain better throttle response
3.73 gears stock
GT 500 steering wheel
Only production Mustang to come with an open CAI from the factory (unique to the Bullitt)
Strut tower brace
sport tuned suspension (different parts than a GT)
Modified H pipe unique to the Bullitt
Computer reflasjhed to increase HP to 315 VS 300 HP for a GT
Unique grill
3.5 inch tips
Unique mufflers

·
Registered
162 Posts
Greg,
Thanks.
The '08 Bullitt package really does add a number of enhancements, to the GT, beyond cosmetics.
No wonder I love it. :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
... sport tuned suspension (different parts than a GT) ...
Now this is something I have been curious about for some time. Does anyone know exactly how it differs? Different geometry, different spring rates, different shock/strut valving, diff bushings???

so, what's different, and different how?:question:

Anyone, any ideas?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ooops, first let me apologize for the thread highjack, I should have started a new one instead.

Thank you Droopy (errrr, Greg :) ), I would appreciate that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts