Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hey MikuhlBrian, great work on the battery tray and connections. I look forward to hearing what parts you are going to choose for your suspension.

I follow you on YouTube, since you shared your Bullitt stumbling video, and I would love to see content of your 01 DHG. Also, the stop motion video you did on the front bumper cover was really cool.
It's funny that you mention the youtube channel. When I was out filming with my go-pro, it is for more content that I will be putting on my youtube channel. While I love posting my progress on IMBOC (and another Mustang forum), the audience is limited. I'm going to put all work going forward onto the youtube channel. So keep watching. :)

For those who want to subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelBrianStudios

·
Administrator
6,629 Posts
Hey MikuhlBrian, great work on the battery tray and connections. I look forward to hearing what parts you are going to choose for your suspension.

I follow you on YouTube, since you shared your Bullitt stumbling video, and I would love to see content of your 01 DHG. Also, the stop motion video you did on the front bumper cover was really cool.
Thanks for pointing out the channel. I will take a look at that.

MikuhlBrian, good luck with the new part replacements!

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Have done just a little bit of work on the Bullitt over the past few weeks. Just some odds and ends to keep me busy until I can spend the $$ on exhaust to get her CA compliant.

Junkyard Odds & Ends

Went to the junkyard hunting for a factory catalytic converter H-pipe, but as I suspected they were cut out before becoming available in the yard. So here was my score. Two factory headlights, trunk weather stripping, a few wheel bolts, and a driver's dash vent.

Here is the weatherstripping in the trunk before...

...and here is the new(ish) weatherstripping in.

Stock Headlights

I wanted to replace the aftermarket halo headlights with some stock units. Before:

The headlights I snagged from the junkyard were well worn, but I've had good luck with a headlight restoration kit on my Magnum SRT8, so I figured I would give it a try. Stock headlights installed, pretty cloudy:

This is a shot during the restoration process. Sanded with 1000 grit, and then 3000 grit. This is before the polishing.

And here they are after they are polished. Loving that she's looking more like a Mustang. The stock headlights are so much better (IMHO).

Nice job polishing the lights but pull the 2 pins and they fall right out, so no masking needed

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well it has been two years since the Bullitt arrived in San Diego from Louisiana. While things haven't gone as quickly as I wanted to thanks to the pandemic, progress is still being made. Finally was able to get her into the garage, parts ordered, and starting the work. New starter, flywheel, clutch, clutch cable, and shifter. This too has been slow going with travel and just being busy with life these days. Hope to have her back on the road in a couple of weeks.

Current state: Up on jackstands, x-pipe and driveshaft removed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
When I was younger, reading forums and build threads and sometimes they would go dormant for several months before updates. I now know why that is the case, especially with project cars. Life just gets in the way sometimes, which is did for me. After a long 4+ months, the Bullitt is back on the ground and took her out on the maiden drive Sunday. All the new parts:
  • Exedy Mach 400 Stage 1 clutch
  • Exedy Lightweight flywheel
  • SVE High Torque starter
  • Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
  • pilot bearing
  • throwout bearing
  • rear main seal
  • lower shifter boot

After the first drive, everything feels good with a couple of exceptions. The bite on the clutch is still pretty close to the floor. It feels like the clutch cable is pretty stretched. I already have in hand a new adjustable clutch cable, clutch cable firewall adjuster, and an SVE billet aluminum clutch quadrant to install this coming weekend. The shifter is also a little too notchy and difficult to get into first gear. I think I need to do some tiny adjustments on the shifter.

But very happy to have the Bullitt back on the ground and on the road.

The first drive since before Halloween!!!

** and I need to trim the shifter. The Bullitt shifter will not twist fully to the correct orientation of the numbers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
About to embark on the next big project, and that will be replacing the suspension. Over the last few months I've amassed all the parts that I will need for this project. According to my dad and brother, the only thing that has been replaced on the suspension is the right front shock. Nothing else has ever been replaced. So i've been riding around on a factory suspension with 188K miles on it!!! No wonder she floats and bobs and weaves like a 1972 Grand Marquis.

Parts List:
  • Ford Racing "C" springs
    • I went with these because the Bullitt is low enough for me. Even know I have to be careful entering my own driveway to avoid scraping the exhaust as I come in.
  • Bilstein B6 shocks front, rear and quad.
  • Eibach sway bars, 35mm front and 25mm rear
  • Urethane sway bar end links
  • Maximum Motorsports HD Adjustable lower rear control arms
  • Replacement upper rear control arms
  • Moog inner and outer tie rod ends
  • Front lower ball joints
  • Urethane bushings for front lower control arm, rear lower control arm, front sway bar, steering rack, and spring isolators

Just before pulling into the garage to start the project, had to take the Bullitt to get the bi-annual California Smog Check. She passed! Which also means that she's been CA road legal for two years now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Rear Suspension

Over the past couple of weekends I've made some progress on the suspension. The rear is all complete. Ford Racing "C" Springs, Bilstein B6 shocks, Bilstein quad shocks, MM adjustable lower control arms with poly bushings, factory replacement upper control arms with new bushings, and an Eibach rear sway bar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Front Suspension

All ready for surgery.

I've also made some good progress on the front suspension. All new inner and outer tie rod ends installed. Steering Rack bushings were replaced with Polyurethane bushings. I've installed the front Bilstein shocks. The front control arms removed, and dropped off to have the new ball joints replaced and new polyurethane bushings installed. Once I get those back, then it will be time to bolt everything back up together.

Check out these ball joints. They could have given way at any moment.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Front Suspension

All ready for surgery.

I've also made some good progress on the front suspension. All new inner and outer tie rod ends installed. Steering Rack bushings were replaced with Polyurethane bushings. I've installed the front Bilstein shocks. The front control arms removed, and dropped off to have the new ball joints replaced and new polyurethane bushings installed. Once I get those back, then it will be time to bolt everything back up together.

Check out these ball joints. They could have given way at any moment.

Making great progress!:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Front Suspension - Completed

This weekend I finished up the front suspension and the Bullitt is back on all 4 tires. All new tie rods (inner and outer), polyurethane steering rack bushings, polyurethane control arm bushings, new ball joints, Bilstein shocks, Ford Racing "C" Springs with polyurethane spring isolators, and an Eibach sway bar.

Back on the ground and ready for the first test drive. The battery died so I had to charge it overnight. Will be taking the first drive later today after work. Looks like she is sitting a tad higher than she used to, probably due to the new springs that need to settle and the old springs that had settled way too much.

Here's the pile of old parts that came off the car.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts