Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2001 Bullitt with only 80,000 miles on it, well taken care of. It now has a rattle noise in t he engine. One place says nothing is wrong, next place said timing chain, third place said may be but not sure, a wrist pin and replace the engine, 4th place couldn't figure it out and also said replace the engine. Replacing isnt an option due to collectible and I want numbers to match. Rebuild would be considered but that is very expensive to get done and not comfortable without anyone even knowing the problem spending that kind of money. The last person said it comes from the back of engine when he uses the stethoscope. Is anyone able to help with having the issue with theirs and know what it actually may be? I have a video but do not see a way to attach. .

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Does the noise go away when I push in the clutch or rev the engine to 3000rpm

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Does the rattle change with engine speed?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Lots of possibilities. Some not that serious. Based upon years (not really about miles), I would be really suspect of the timing chains guides. They are plastic and break down over time. If coming from the back of the engine, I play with the clutch, as chrisW suggested. May be the throw out bearing and not the engine.

Yep, you need more information before you yank the engine. But, If you end up pulling the engine, I would have it rebuild by a reliable machine shop. (Which brings up the next question, where is a reliable machine shop?)

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
If what Jack and Chris say are not the problem, I would pull the valve covers and check the lifters and rockers. With the covers off you might be able to see if the timing chain is a bit slack, indicating chain guides. Differential diagnosis, eliminate the possible by starting with the simplest area of trouble. If you hear hoof beats, it's probably horses, not Zebras. Good luck.

·
Administrator
4,939 Posts

..... I have a video but do not see a way to attach. .
First, upload the video to a site which can give you a link for the video.
If you want to display a video from a site such as YouTube, you can simply add the share link directly into the content area of your post and it will display automatically.

To get the share link, navigate to the video. Near the title you will see a share link. Click it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of possibilities. Some not that serious. Based upon years (not really about miles), I would be really suspect of the timing chains guides. They are plastic and break down over time. If coming from the back of the engine, I play with the clutch, as chrisW suggested. May be the throw out bearing and not the engine.

Yep, you need more information before you yank the engine. But, If you end up pulling the engine, I would have it rebuild by a reliable machine shop. (Which brings up the next question, where is a reliable machine shop?)
;-) Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If what Jack and Chris say are not the problem, I would pull the valve covers and check the lifters and rockers. With the covers off you might be able to see if the timing chain is a bit slack, indicating chain guides. Differential diagnosis, eliminate the possible by starting with the simplest area of trouble. If you hear hoof beats, it's probably horses, not Zebras. Good luck.
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

First, upload the video to a site which can give you a link for the video.
If you want to display a video from a site such as YouTube, you can simply add the share link directly into the content area of your post and it will display automatically.

To get the share link, navigate to the video. Near the title you will see a share link. Click it.

Here is a link. I hope this gives someone an idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will check and let you know. Thank you!
I havent found anyone to come and check yet. But I have had this three different places I would think they would have looked at that?? There's no chance you know anyone specialized in these around Apopka FL?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts