Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage 2001 in my possession. 7300 miles. What is more important? Original tires that drive like crap or New tires and a great driving Bullitt?

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
If you're intent on keeping the miles low and rarely drive the car, then is ride quality really all that important? You have yourself a quandary.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
2 choices depending on your goals.

1. Trailer it to car shows. Keep the OEM tyres on and trailer it to car shows. If your only goal is to show the 01 at MCA shows, in pursuit of gold trophies and accolades as an unmodified virgin, trailering this garage queen and only driving it between the trailer and the show field, then keep the OEM tyres. And OEM battery, hoses and every other OEM part on the Bullitt... Saving it for the next owner. Just keep dreaming of driving the 01 beyond the show field...

2. GET NEW TYRES AND DRIVE YOUR BULLITT! Tryes age out between 6 to 8 years, no matter the initial qualityand subsequent mileage and tread depth. Age reduces the friction and grip on the pavement during accleration, turning and BRAKING. This is performance and SAFETY! Tyres are just collateral damage in owning and driving a vehcle. Except for show, 19 year old tyres are totally crapped out for road driving.

Get new tyres and DRIVE YOUR BULLITT, ENJOY IT or keep it in the garage as a show trailer queen, saving it for the next owner.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to drive the car maybe 1000 miles a year. Really as much as I want but I don't put a large amount of mileage on my daily. I've had my truck six months and it has 2200 miles. I think new tires are the way to go unless someone who really enjoys the show circuit persuades me otherwise. The OEM Goodyears seem to ruin the ride. Very noisy and lumpy. I got them hot yesterday and they smoothed out a little but I think they are nothing but a possible collectable to someone. I am going to try to find the space to store them. I don't know if anyone in my world will really care. I hate to take them off but I am the most Mustang Club of America focused person I know. I am a member but right now I don't know what the area show calendar looks like but most shows had been canceled. Birmingham is an hour away and that's where most local shows happen. I have not been to a show in years but I have generally had a new Mustang on and off. We will see how I handle the tire issue. Thank you all for all the comments and future comments. I do care what people here have to say!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
As I said in another post, buy a set of new tires...……….good ones like Michelin PS 3 Sport and save the original tires. I put the Michelins on my 2009 last year...……….a world of difference...…….quiet, great ride. Like you, I drive my 2009 less than 1000 miles per year.

BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I found a laminated copy of the original 0159 window sticker,,,,,,,,,,,,,PM me and I'll send it to you,

ARMY TC...……….former (2nd) owner of 0159

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did PM you but I thought you were owner 1 so I called you Paul. I apologize for the mistake.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As others have stated, the only use those tires should get is driving on and off the trailer.
Put a good set of summer tires on it and go have some fun.

Another thought.......
Keep those Goodyears on the original rims for show and go buy a set of +1 rims and tires for touring the countryside.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I agree with 39Tudor (Jerry), find a set of Bullitt wheels and mount a set of new tires (your choice of brand) to use for driving. Keep the old wheels and tires mounted just for showing. Make sure you keep the old tires out of the sun to keep them from cracking more than they already have. Not many cars show up with the original tires.

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
:D My car is not low mileage but I definitely agree with Jerry and Jack. Tires are the cheapest thing one can purchase because of the safety factor!
And Bullitts are made to be driven. And show too.
Don

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put on new tires this week!

I did install a set of new rubber and align the car this week. I stacked the original tires in my garage. I am going to tell you that the difference in the way my Bullitt drives is stunning! It's driving experience is absolutely new. My allignment person who has been a friend since high school could not even find a bad wheel bearing. All the original keepers on the wheel studs are still in place. I digress. The driving experience is now what I remember and wanted. Buying the tires was the good choice. Keeping the old one's that show no dry rot was also the right choice because I have collector car options with a car which I love driving. That's what owning a 2001 Bullitt is all about in my opinion. I thank you all for your advice. It is all good and that's why I love this forum. I guess you can always come home.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Just imho, but if you aren't driving your Bullitt, you're just a car show talking head. How can you possibly enjoy a car without driving or riding in it. Going places is the reason for a car's being. If you aren't going places, you aren't enjoying what it exists. Drive that car!

·
Registered
214 Posts
#1141 has ~42K...having fun while keeping it low.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
For tires....buy once cry once...

get a good set depending on what brand you prefer/can afford but don't go cheap either. The original skater backs are garbage.

Nitto NT 555 G2s are rated well and they are reasonably priced compared to others. Michelin's are always good (my experience with my Cruze/Camry) and I have been using the GY Eagle F1 GSD3s (personal preference) on the Bullitt since 2004.

so get a decent set and enjoy the car.

2 things to never go cheap on...Brakes and tires.

actually 3, beer is the other one.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts