Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you have now heard the 2005 Nationals are in Bullitt County, KY June 10-17, 2005. Richard asked that we discuss the event so I will post a couple of concerns that I heard at Richmond and ya'll can follow with your opinions.

Length. This is a week in a hotel in Bullitt County alone in addition to the hotels along your trips. There are a couple of family days planned one of which would be Six Flags. (Personally, I have Six Flags at home and would rather chit chat with you guys which is the point of Nationals right?) There is also the chance that some people would come for only part of the events which would mean that we wouldn't have all the cars together and everyone knows that we like to make a spectacle of ourselves and have people staring at us. There was talk about only adding Thursday to our existing Friday - Sunday schedule since most people show up that day anyway.

Cost. Money hasn't be discussed as of yet. Hopefully some sponsorship would come through but the hotel alone is going to be expensive for a lot of people. There is a possibility that we would have the track alone.

I think those were the 2 things that were talked about the most this past weekend so if you have anything further to add, please do so. We want this event to be a success and there isn't an event without attendees.

So now it's your turn...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueBullitt2180 on 2004-07-02 10:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
that is a friday to friday event. i am confused on the five night hotel?

six flags isnt a big deal to me. but my wife and kids would probably say otherwise.

when you say adding a thursday... do you mean the 9th? i can see myself coming to this like the 40th and staying for like 4 days.. but a week... :???:

MRT H-PIPE W/CATS

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axemanj3 on 2004-07-02 09:53 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
It is a Monday-Friday event. Four nights. Arrival Monday Night and Departure Friday. One of the reasons for this is some people don't have to try to get time off from work on the end of one week and the beginning of another week for a weekend event. Plus this is a stand alone event, not in association with FFW. Richard will post an itinerary in the next few weeks. I know other car clubs that have had great success with this type of format. Most people find it easier to request the week off from work, rather than parts of two weeks. Submit your comments. But remember, it is locked in to this Monday-Friday schedule. It will not be changed to a weekend deal like in the past. Other than that, post suggestions.

8200mi
242.4rwhp
273tq
13.79 ET
"God meant for Bullitts to be Green!" -Art Hyde

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 9mmBullitt on 2004-07-02 09:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I would rather see a Thursday thru Saturday event. That would leave Sunday open for travel. The problem with Mon-Fri is that EVERYONE will have to take off work to go. 5-6 nights in a hotel will kill my wallet.

As for the 6 Flags trip, I have no interest at all in it, but maybe it is something that the women, children, and those uninterested in Nats can do DURING an car event (Car show).

I know that Richard's goal in doing 6 Flags was to help make this more of a family event.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
There will be more stuff scheduled to do than just car stuff so Families will have more to do. Some wives and kids get sick of doing just car stuff i.e. Cam's girl spent the weekend trying to get the beach, and Larry's wife only came to the Hooters and the banquet, and Kay was pretty much done with the race track by Sunday afternoon.
This Richard's way of trying to make this a more family friendly event.
Plus still have the Bullitt Nationals parking lot parties, racing, car show and hooters trip, that are main draw of the Nats.
Any constructive idea's and comments????

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Hey Jimmy your original post about not having great numbers of Bullitts at one time and place is valid. I know that not many people are going to be able (or want to) burn 5 vacation days and the majority of their family vacation money on our event. Even at only $50 a night thats $250 for 5 nights + your travel nights. Before we even get to the Nats. The original set up was better. I agree with Dee on this one.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was the 3rd Nationals. The 1st was in Ennis, TX which is a central location where 59 Bullitts showed. The 2nd was in Chandler, AZ which is in the west where only 30+ cars were in attendance. Our latest event was in Richmond, VA on the east coast where 47 Bullitt owners attended. It seems to be moving around to me.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-07-02 10:16, 3RDSTANG wrote:
The catering to the eastern half of the country just doesn't sit well with me.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

{rant}
Catering to the eastern half?

Ennis was in the CENTRAL U.S.
Chandler was in the WESTERN U.S.
Richmond was in the EASTERN U.S.

That would be one in each area. Obviously the next event will have to be in one of those three zones.

Besides, '06 is in San Fran. Can't get to much farther from the eastern half of the country than that.

And if you really want to get technical, the past three Nats locations were chosen by popular vote and by H1RESQ. This is Richard's first year. He had to pick somewhere so give him a break. He is trying to be fair, but also choose places that are meaningful to the Bullitt.

Once again, THERE MUST BE ENOUGH ACTIVE MEMBERS IN THE AREA TO SUPPORT A NATS. Unfortunately that is going to leave out some areas. Just imagine if Karl (kfengler) wanted to do it in Idaho. Some Nats that would be with just him, a couple from Utah, and a few that might come from Washington.

If you think that Colorodo can host a Nats then show Richard that you guys will follow through. Have some meets or better yet, show up at a Nationals.
{/rant}

Based on info from the Voting Booth.
Does not include the Damn Canadians for the obvious reasons :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 5111 on 2004-07-02 10:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
3rdstang,
I'm sorry you feel that way.
The 1st Bullitt Nationals was held in Texas, (some of us eastern Bullitts consider that west)
The 2nd was held in Chandler AZ, That is really west.
The 3rd was finally held back east in Richmond Virginia.
The 4th is to be held in Bullitt Kentucky which can be considered to be east by some. But is also the most North.
The 5th is suppose to be held will at SanFran Ca. That is Really west.

I think the only members that should complain are our Canadain memebers because we have yet to hold a Bullitt Nationals that far North.

If you are including the Ford 100 or the 40th ann. We as your Bullitt Nationals staff didnot have an input on those locations.

Richard and I will be attending some regional events, the next I believe is the MCA event in Utah and then Fontana FFW. We will be working the schedule soon, Richard is working in LA, and I quit my job and moving so please have patience.

Putting on one of these events takes a tremdous amount of work, time and money. But we want as many members to be happy, and to be one big happy family. So if you all have concerns like 3rdstang I'll try to help where I can.
Thanks 3rdstang for your concern.

Hows that for a HR responce.....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Ok, well here we go...

1. I was not implying that the Bullitt Nationals need to be held in my backyard. However I do find it interesting, as do others, that the the Bullitt National events are held relatively close to the organizers home locations.

2. Some one explain how the locations have ANY relation to the Bullitt. (with the exception of Bullitt County.)

3. The Chandler Event, yes was West, BUT held during thanksgiving holiday. Despite what anyone else will say, this WILL hurt attendance! So the support argument is somewhat limited.

With that said, I think a bigger draw could be had with a few improvements.

1. Dont schedule it during a holday.
2. A centralized location, I think would draw more from around the country rather than a far east OR far west location.

The map someone put up, shows a great deal of cars in Texas, California, Washigton....
that I would be willing to bet may come to an event that was centralized.

Another thing for thought though,

TwoStangwmn organized a get together a bit ago. Many Bullitts came.

The Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup drew 8 Bullitts each of the past 2 years. (This does not include the ones that were not in the show, OR Bullitt owners who brought another car. (Epperstang)

The International Mustang Meet in BFE (Missoula Montana) drew at least 6 Bullitts from Nevada, Colorado, Washigton, Idaho, Alberta and Ontario Canada.

I think the Nationals organizers are missing a great opportunity.

And yes Karl could have Bullitt Nationals at his place, Beer and Chicken for everyone. :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 3RDSTANG on 2004-07-02 11:22 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that part of the problem is that the Nationals idea partly came from the great turnout that the DFW Bullitt club was having monthly. There were between 15 and 20 cars meeting each and every month. The original Nationals organizer, not naming names, made a promise when the first event was in Ennis that the 2nd annual event would be on the West coast and the 3rd would be on the East Coast. Those promises have been fulfilled and there are new organizers for the Nationals at this point. They are doing a wonderful job and are working a lot harder on these events than anyone realizes. Okay, now back to 2005....

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-07-02 11:19, 3RDSTANG wrote:
Ok, well here we go...

1. I was not implying that the Bullitt Nationals need to be held in my backyard. However I do find it interesting, as do others, that the the Bullitt National events are held relatively close to the organizers home locations.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I have to chime in on this comment. And let me first say that I am not considered one of the organizers even though my avitar says Nationals Committee. I just provide what help I can, when I can. I was unable to make it to Richmond this year because of things beyond my control.
That being said, I have no problem with the organizers putting the events within close proximity of their residence. I sure you can imagine, but I don't believe you know how much of their own time Richard and others put into organizing and pulling off these events. And the cost associated with the events. I know for a fact, this is not a money making proposition. If you want to contact Richard and organize an event in Colorado, I'm sure he would listen. Colorado would be a great place to visit in association with an event. But look at the time Richard and Jimmy have traveled to promote and hold events in the past and upcoming. No one is paying them to do this. I don't want to speak for them, but I do know personally how much effort it takes to organize an event of this magnitude. Most people just want to attend and in some instances complain, but offer no assistance to improve on problems or to relieve the organizers of some of the responsibility.

So, as far as it being convenient to the organizers, so what. At least we have someone keeping the enthusiam for the Bullitt active, which in the long run ultimately keeps interest high and values for the Bullitt up.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Ok I am not going to make any statements that will get the west coast guys yelling at me. I will just say to Rich and the rest of crew you guys are doing a great job and there is no way that I would do, put up with, what you guys are doing every year here. More patience than I, but I will say we will see you in Bullitt county next year but probably will not arrive unit either late Tuesday or mid day Wednesday. I think I may get divorced if our yearly family vacation is spent at a car get together. My wife and girls do like the get togethers, we have all found some very good friends, but a whole week for them might be tough.
As far as the six flags is concerned I will most likely not go but the kids are all over it.

Look forward to seeing all that can make it.

JW

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
3rd All Very good points,
Reason that the Bullitt nationals where held when and where was, because we have tagged along with Fun Ford Weekend, and that was their schedule, The reason we tagged along with FFW was because they have venue that provided little more stuff than just meeting in parking lot. Wade did very good job setting this up.

Wade had a membership vote 3 years ago on where everyone wanted the Nationals and the first winner was Texas then California then Richmond, so that was how the schedule was set up (I believe, correct me if I am wrong ).

I aggree with you Chandler being so close to Thanksgiving hurt attendance, I wasn't apart of the planning group that picked Chandler, but again I think it was Picked so we could have West coast vote satisfied, and continue the relaionship with FFW.

We will do our best not to again schedule an event so close to a major holiday, but guess what some people (not many), like having the holiday close to an event, why I don't know.
I now get confused, by reading your post you have lead me to believe you would like to have an event some where out west. But one of your recommendations is to hold an event in a centralized location. Would you come to an event in say Kansas? If so I wonder how many others would attend. Again by trying to stay with FFW the last 3 years we where trying to have an event that also had alot of entertainment. Next year we will be the first time we are trying to cut the strings with FFW and run our own event set up by us and and by us, and trying to be a little differant, by providing a family event. We are considering the weekend verses week long event, some vald concerns have been rasied

I am very happy the events out west got a bunch of Bullitts to attend, they have been much more successfull than us back east with local events.

All I can say is, "We won't be able to make everyone happy all the time" and "if you build it, they will come".

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
On 2004-07-02 12:03, mustangwi wrote:
Ok I am not going to make any statements that will get the west coast guys yelling at me. I will just say to Rich and the rest of crew you guys are doing a great job and there is no way that I would do, put up with, what you guys are doing every year here. More patience than I, but I will say we will see you in Bullitt county next year but probably will not arrive unit either late Tuesday or mid day Wednesday. I think I may get divorced if our yearly family vacation is spent at a car get together. My wife and girls do like the get togethers, we have all found some very good friends, but a whole week for them might be tough.
As far as the six flags is concerned I will most likely not go but the kids are all over it.

Look forward to seeing all that can make it.

JW

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>well said and i mirror the six flags comment.

now what about us Yankees! put this thing up north of the mason dixon line! :grin: sorry had to throw that in there!

i am still ticked that i missed the 3rd nats.. and now that i know about this one a year out, i can ensure it finally happens for me! I had been planning for the 40th since last august when art hyde told me i would regret it if i missed it.

richard, kudo's for trying to include family events... i here it all the time about vacations with that dang car! it will take some stress off of us who only care about the car and hanging with fellow bullittheads in person and consuming cold beer!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I did forget to mention things to do in the area for family related trips.

1. Louisville slugger museum and factory tour.

2. Fort knox home of cavalry and armor museum dedicated to General Patton.

3. the furthest northern confedarate battle site location that was never taken by the yanks. Well at least not until the south lost, not that they lost they just gave up or did they just pretend to give up.

4.Jack daniels tours.

5. Kentucky derby tour and museum.

Wow am I reaching on a few of those last ones.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mustangwi on 2004-07-02 12:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
And there is 4th street live, Mammoth Cave (one of the natural wonders of the world) Muhammad Ali Museum (if you like that guy), IMAX theater, Knob Creek Outdoor gun range and alot of stuff I jsut forget.

Also, see my topic concerning a DYNOjet for those days in 05.....

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.