Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, my father (an avid Mustang fan and current owner of an original 68 Cobra Jet with less than 20,000 miles) went to the dark side and bought a 2006 Pontiac GTO. We stopped in at a dealership just to look at one and Pontiac dealers are desperate to get these off of their lot. We paid invoice, minus holdback, minus all rebates, minus $1300 .... 26K for a car that stickered for 34K. I drove the Goat and I have to say, it is a highly refined musclecar that carries one hell of a big stick (400hp LS2). In fact, there's no question in my mind that this car would handle my Bullitt in just about every category (keep in mind that my Bullitt is almost bone stock). What struck me in particular was the deep bass sound of the GTO exhaust. It was as deep as any I have ever heard without any of the noisy droning in the interior.

So that has me thinking ... what is the deepest sounding exhaust available for the Bullitt (I'm not talking about obnoxious American Thunder growl ... just a deep authoritative rumble). Any ideas.

Oh .... we didn't run them heads up. Dad wanted to break the GTO in first. My suspicion is it wouldn't be much of a race.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personal opinion

It looks alot better in person than in pictures. I think the interior is among the best looking of any production car. Many GTO purists hate the exterior and call it a glorified Grand Am. I think they forget that the original GTO (64) was nothing special on the exterior either. It was a glorified LeMans. I think that the present GTO does a good job at keeping the tradition of dropping a brutal engine into a pedestrian coupe to make a classic musclecar.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I actually like the 06', I went heads up with one, mind you this was after teh Vortech was on, and i pulled on him quite easily. that being said. even 26,000 for teh car. hmmm

17,000 for my bullitt
4,500 for the s/c and all the upgrades.
$21,500 totall.

now mind you, he paid that much less, 26K as opposed to 34K. i still cant justify that much money for something when i can pay wayyyyy less and have something better.

Now that being said lol. Id say something like a Magnaflow cat back with a high low H-Pipe and you would have your nice deep growl without the raspy obnoxious sound.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I love to see anyone buy a fast domestic that is pumped full of American-style testosterone induced horsepower and torque. My brother bought an 05' GTO new off the lot. At first I wasn't sure about the car, but it has really grown on me. It should be stated that the Bullitt and GTO are very different cars with very different personalites aimed at two different groups. The GTO is very refined, rather quiet inside, roomy, and rides quite comfortably while still maintaining excellent handling capabilities. The exhaust is deep, but not very loud at all unless the rpms are brought up. While cruising, it's as quite as a full-size Buick--and just about as comfy and roomy once inside. My brother is currently trying to find some mufflers a little louder as he would prefer a little more noise. When I went with him to pick it out I asked the salesperson what the average age/type of person purchasing the vehicles were. He replied saying that buyers were typically older gentlemen that either remember, owned, or always wanted one. But given the lifestyle of the intented buyer, Pontiac was trying to make a car that would be more refined than their older ancestors while still providing better acceleration.

The Bullitt, however, is a whole other story. It is a Mustang that is meant to look more, drive more, and sound more like its older family members. And the car, as you all know, does it very well. I own two older muscle cars. The Bullitt is much more like an old muscle car than the GTO. But, that is exactly why I bought it. The Bullitt has noticeable road noise, rides reltively firm (the cost of good handling), has a fair amount of transmission noise, has its fair share of sqeaks and rattles (gotta love the dash vents, right?), has relatively little room inside the cabin/trunk, has a relatively sparse interior when it comes to options and buttons, has a deep throaty 60's exhaust note, and for all of these reasons, I absolutely love it to death. It's a muscle car that is comfy to drive each and everyday, has all the modern comforts (A/C, CD player, multi-speed windshield wipers, etc), still goes like a bat out of hell, and it handles so much better than almost anything from the 60's. As much as I like the GTO, it's a bit too refined for me. I want a muscle car that feels like a muscle car. I also like that it feels like a smaller coupe, because it is. I park the Bullitt next to the GTO every night, and side by side, the GTO is a lot bigger car both in length and width. On the topic of accleration though, the GTO is surely a faster car than a stock Bullitt--hands down. But, low 13s for 400 hp isn't that good considering. Weight is the enemy once again. If and when I decide to compete with it, I'll pull the blower off the Camino and put it on the Bullitt (I just won't tell my brother--that'll blow his mind).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The GTO is uggs, and I would imagine heavier than our mustangs so the race may not be as bad as you think.

·
Registered
270 Posts
my roomate has an 06 gto and if the driver cant drive its a good race. his first time at the track he coulndt touch me and i was only running 13.8s...now he is running 13.2s in the thing...not much of a race anymore. He did pay 32k for his and he regrets it everyday. There is no aftermarket for them. He wants a gt or cobra instead but he has only had it for 4 months so its outta the question since he is financing it for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Yes, I talked to an 06 GTO owner at a cruise and he said that quite a number of owners have removed all GTO/Pontiac badging and replaced it with Holden Monaro badging.

The first time I saw the car was in Australia in January of 05. I was there to photograph a wedding. The Monaro was one of the few two-door performance cars sold in Australia. ALL PERFORMANCE FORDS are four-doors.

I was impressed with the car and was really surprised to see it show up here as the new GTO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
check under my posts i got a few races with an 06 gto... didnt fare too too well, much better from a stop than from a roll. they are monsters from rolls too heavy from a stop. im beatin it now though so who cares.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My boss tossed me the keys to her 05 GTO lease and said go have some fun. Me and some coworkers took it out for lunch and did just that.:surprised Despite the exterior ugliness,I was impressed with the car and figured it would spank my stock B. I have a Vortec now, and it will blow the door handles of any GTO.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OK, don't tell anyone BUT I ran one of those dang things in south SF last year at the nats in the rental unit, didn't stand a freakin' chance. Nice car, and quick outta the box. One of the General's better idea's lately. (and of course it's gone now :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Yes, I talked to an 06 GTO owner at a cruise and he said that quite a number of owners have removed all GTO/Pontiac badging and replaced it with Holden Monaro badging.

The first time I saw the car was in Australia in January of 05. I was there to photograph a wedding. The Monaro was one of the few two-door performance cars sold in Australia. ALL PERFORMANCE FORDS are four-doors.

I was impressed with the car and was really surprised to see it show up here as the new GTO.
MMMM like the Ford Falcon with the 3Valve V8 love that car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts