Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with the hood at/above 100mph? Both rear corners of the hood start to flex and the front of the hood lifts at speeds at/above 100 mph. I would like to know if there is anything available that can fix the problem?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Many S197 Mustangs do this. The most common solutions I've seen were to adjust the two little rubber bumpers at the front of the engine compartment... or to install hood pins.

My old 05 used to do this at high speeds... as did the hoods of many of my friends Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Dave and Julie said:
Adjust the latch all the way down and unscrew the four hood adjust pads so that they push the hood about 1/8 above the fenders. That's what I did to mine and I haven't had any trouble up to 130mph.
...or just keep your speed under 100 MPH. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right! :bigguns:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Dave and Julie said:
The first time I went above 80mph with my Bullitt the hood released itself to the secondary latch.

Geez...I never had that happen. I have noticed some flexing though and worried about that happening.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
The front end catches a lot of air. Maybe the NASCAR trick woukld work for high-speed driving. Anyone ever try taping/covering up the opening behind the grill?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
My '74 Roadrunner had this huge "power bulge" on the hood - the aerodynamics were such that it would lift the back of the hood completely-up on the spring-loaded hinges over 100-110 (it has a sort of cris-cross accordion hinge assembly). You'd stop, get out, and push the hood back-down 2" or so where it belonged. Unsettling at first, but never had any real "problems" from it.

Ford doesn't have a monopoly on weird aeros.......

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
You do realise that most people aren't going to be commonly driving at speeds of 100 mph and higher?

If you are check and adjust the hood latch, make sure the secondary safety latch is working properly, and as others have said, adjust the bumpers as necessary.

If you are going to be driving these speeds routinely do what Shelby did to the SGT. Install hood pins.

·
Registered
969 Posts
i can't believe you all are going 100 mph. i have come to the conclusion that i am goign to have to reevaluate my continued participation on this forrum. i am shocked! mine starts shakin and bakin at about 125. will try the adjustments.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
PhotoRick said:
The front end catches a lot of air. Maybe the NASCAR trick woukld work for high-speed driving. Anyone ever try taping/covering up the opening behind the grill?
Gee, Didn't FORD go to the wind tunnel and test the front end design to up around 200mph like they do in NASCAR -lol

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
JC2954 said:
My '74 Roadrunner had this huge "power bulge" on the hood - the aerodynamics were such that it would lift the back of the hood completely-up on the spring-loaded hinges over 100-110 (it has a sort of cris-cross accordion hinge assembly). You'd stop, get out, and push the hood back-down 2" or so where it belonged. Unsettling at first, but never had any real "problems" from it.

Ford doesn't have a monopoly on weird aeros.......
HEY! All you needed was A 70' Super Bird (Wing Car)-No Problem- LOL!

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is my first "real" post...so here goes.
I was surprised to read this hood-shake thread. I have been a life long Ford buyer (since 1965) and have always noted that Fords (cars and trucks) have had hoods that didn't shake or wobble. Being a gear-head all my life, that is something I took notice to. Through the years, I noted that hood shake was common in many GM models; and always considered that Ford did a better job of hood structure. So, it was quite a surprise to me that I have noticed some degree of hood shake/flutter at 60+ mph on our new Bullitt. Now that I know it may be common to this generation Mustang, I can live with it. I've been a member for only two days, and already this site has been helpful.

Bernie

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Ford has already reduced the size of the opening of the grille.

Shelby GT has a wide open grill, I guess that might be why it also has hood pins.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.