Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've had my Bullitt for about 3 years now, and while I have enjoyed the car, one thing I've noticed is that Ford has a habit of discontinuing parts and they become hard to find. For example, the Bullitt shifter boot is no longer available, and neither is the fuse box lid under the passenger side kick panel. Likewise with the aftermarket. I live in Cali and some of the 50 state legal supercharger charger kits that used to be sold for the 4.6 3V are also discontinued. Roush, Whipple, and Magnuson come to mind. The only ones still available are the Edelbrock E-force and the Kenne Bell. While these aren't disasters in and of themselves, I've noticed that I've never had ANY problem finding anything for my dad's 1983 Mercedes 230E even though it's a gray market import. Yet Ford doesn't seem to provide the same level of support for its vehicles if they're 10 years old or older. It's like they consider them old news and don't care anymore. Am I mistaken in my impression? I wonder how GM compares? I'm thinking I should unload the Bullitt and just get another German car where at least I know parts support will probably never become an issue.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yes euro cars have a better factory older model support. but even this is not absolute. VW built a limited # of gen 4 TDI cup edition cars. they had a special front bumpers, ans i think rocker panel trim.. they discontinued these parts 2 years after they sold the cars.
i work in a VW body shop. i experienced problems with this first hand.

ford is a worse than GM. especially on interior parts.GM makes parts on older specialty cars for longer periods but northing like euro cars. on extremely limited # model cars GM discontinues these parts rather quickly also. .
ford discontinued the special spiral weave dash trim and the bullitt only gages in 09.
wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't happened to the S-550 cars special bullit only interior trim..

i planned ahead a little and stocked up on bullit sill plates, have 2 sets. and the rear deck lid emblem, have a couple of those.
i am still looking for the gages and a mint gage trim.

the best on the market for support is BMW. you can buy parts most of for their popular cars back to the 50's. they won't be cheap but you can buy them from the factory.

my guess is volume of purchases. if the parts sell in volume they will still make them. you still can buy most of the exterior sheetmetal and the bumpers from the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for setting me straight. Unfortunately you seem to confirm my perception. You'd think that they'd at least stock parts for enthusiasts who buy their "signature" models. The idea that it's easier to get parts for foreign manufactured vehicles than it is for domestic is regrettable, but there you have it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don’t think Ford cares about anything after you have made your purchase. They got their money!

You think 2008 parts are tough to get, imagine how I feel trying to find some of those 2001 parts made from unobtainium! Simple stuff like heater hoses, throttle cable, serpentine belt, and body trim parts were gone within the first 5 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t think Ford cares about anything after you have made your purchase. They got their money!

You think 2008 parts are tough to get, imagine how I feel trying to find some of those 2001 parts made from unobtainium! Simple stuff like heater hoses, throttle cable, serpentine belt, and body trim parts were gone within the first 5 years.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm probably going to sell the Bullitt and go back to purchasing a foreign car again. It's sad, but I'm feeling like a dupe for buying a car from a company that treats its customer base so cynically. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i agree.
the bullitt is basically the same as a GT except for a couple of bullitt specific parts.
with the exception of the specific parts. keeping the car on the road is basically the same as a GT. most necessary maintenance parts are a phone call away.

the only bullitt specific parts still on my car are the gages, dash trim, front seats and trunk emblem. i still have the grill but i have modified that for more air flow.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts