Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m a new member here. Recently purchased my Bullitt back in July. I’m trying to purchase a set of the Matte Gray Torq Thrust II wheels in 18x9. Would anyone happen to know the proper wheel backspacing? Or has anyone already put on a set of American Racing Torq Thrust II wheels that would know what size works best? I’m trying to keep it as close to the factory rims as possible. Definitely don’t want to go down in width or diameter.

If anyone could give me some advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. Really want to get the factory wheels off the car so they remain safe. Seeing as how the prices for original 2008 Bullitt wheels are super expensive on eBay. I’m terrified of something happening to them.

Also to whoever sets up the Carlisle event maybe I will see you there sometime. I live about an hour away.

Thanks and looking forward to talking with everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Stock spec is 18X9, 114.3 mm bolt spacing,(4.5"), 34 mm offset, (~1.3") for Torque thrust. Backspacing would be an American Racing spec? *Stock wheel may be slightly different offset.
Someone else may have more info. or you can measure your stock wheels to verify. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,772 Posts
There was a thread on this some years back..I jotted some notes down.
Stock wheels are 8.5X18 with a 51mm offset 6.82" backspace. 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle

A guy (first ford) went 9X18 with 7.25 backspace to run 255/45 tires. Torque Thrusts #VNCL20589500 from a place called wheels for less.

Keep in mind..going from my notes. But I believe the numbers are accurate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There was a thread on this some years back..I jotted some notes down.
Stock wheels are 8.5X18 with a 51mm offset 6.82" backspace. 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle

A guy (first ford) went 9X18 with 7.25 backspace to run 255/45 tires. Torque Thrusts #VNCL20589500 from a place called wheels for less.

Keep in mind..going from my notes. But I believe the numbers are accurate.

That is valuable info, thanks for sharing. I looked into custom American Racing Torq Thrusts years ago but without verified specs I was just guessing so never did it.

I'm running 255/45 Pilot Sport S4s now on my stock whee with the tread pretty flush with edge of wheel.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I looked up the stock Bullitt wheel specs. they were 18 x 8 with 235/50/18 tires.
Yeah that's correct. When I replaced my tires I went with a lower height (45) tire so I could go a little wider (255) and still have a tread that is closely in line with the wheel edge. Had I stuck with the 50 height the 255 width would have had the tread slightly wider than wheel edge which for some is no big deal. A bit more of a consideration on twisty hilly roads where I typically drive.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
The 2008-09 OEM Bullitt rim is 18-8.5". Ford put 235-50 tires on the BULLITT as that was Ford was using on the GT with 18-8" rims. This was to save $. The optimum size measured for testing spec's for the for the BULLITT 08-09 rims is 255-45, giving the widest footprint for braking., and only .2" shorter than than the 235-50. Speedometer will show a few mph faster at 70 mph, possibly saving one from a ticket, but giving better grip.

·
Registered
202 Posts
toassass4370, yep after dumping those awful stock Conti All Season 235/50s for Pilot Sports of the same dimension I noticed a dramatic increase in traction, even in rain. Then I moved to Pilot Sports in 255/45 and another significant increase in traction, and life of traction. The PS2 235s lost their edge in traction more quickly than the 255s which I suspect was due to the smaller size of tire having to manage the weight of our car. Pilot sport 255/45 on our factory 18.5” wheels is the way to go for pretty much all but winter driving. That said I even drove those tires from time to time during one Chicago Winter when there wasn’t snow covering the street. While I was definitely mindful of their Summer rating, they still kept my car stuck to the pavement well enough. But would have invested in some winter tires if I had lived there for more that one winter

·
Registered
08 Green Bullitt
7 Posts
The 2008-09 OEM Bullitt rim is 18-8.5". Ford put 235-50 tires on the BULLITT as that was Ford was using on the GT with 18-8" rims. This was to save $. The optimum size measured for testing spec's for the for the BULLITT 08-09 rims is 255-45, giving the widest footprint for braking., and only .2" shorter than than the 235-50. Speedometer will show a few mph faster at 70 mph, possibly saving one from a ticket, but giving better grip.
Ford themselves say it's 18x8.
Attached link straight from the horses mouth "pun intended :)"
https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/collector-vehicles/mustang/bullitt/2008.html

·
Registered
08 Green Bullitt
7 Posts
OK I have to apologize to toassass4370
After removing my wheels, they are indeed 8.5" wide rims. Everything I read from Ford sources indicated they were 8" wide. Too much information leads to confusion.
I did replace my stock rims with American Muscle Bullitt wheels with 10" on the back, and 9" on the front.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Highway Star, THANK YOU!
That was a total error by Ford publicists, as the stock rims for GT's of that era were 8" x18", and they did not check with the Bullitt engineers.
When we meet up, we will share some beers, fellow Bullitthead!
Sounds like you have a nice set up, with even more grip.
With Respect, Bill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts