Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the SF auto show last night to see the Bullitt and could not be more disapionted. First, it was BLACK! No offense to the Black guys but c`mon...a new car in SF with a Bullitt theme in BLACK YIKES! My son, a Mustang and Ford fan liked the "stealth" look. For me, ford completely missed the mark. Seeing the GT parked next to it I honestly think the GT looked far better. The dash on the new Mustangs has been a sore spot for me...it looks like they stopped designing when they got to the interior. Now, having said that, I have rented a Hertz Shelby and loved it (once I got the traction control button figuered out). The look, the feel, they flat nailed it. This is only one mans opinion but #1843 looks far better, is far cheaper, and for far less than a new one can have the hp if wanted. For me it is about Bullitt, Mcqueen, and the movie mistique. If you think not many people know what your 01 is, NO ONE but a full on Bullitthead is going to know what the 08 is. I was fully prepared to go for the 08....I am in mourning and need to go pout now.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm afraid most people do not know a Mustang Bullitt from a regular Mustang. Good for us! Maybe the supply will be up and prices down!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably have to disagree on the 01 statement. I think that is reversed. I love the 01, but the only way I'd know it is a Bullitt is if I got on this site. There are enough differences in the 08 packages and the car is stripped down enough to say "bullitt..." That's just me, though.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
wally05 said:
Yeah, I'd probably have to disagree on the 01 statement. I think that is reversed. I love the 01, but the only way I'd know it is a Bullitt is if I got on this site. There are enough differences in the 08 packages and the car is stripped down enough to say "bullitt..." That's just me, though.
+1 Wally05

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
I think they have captured the essense of the movie car pretty well. I'm sure quite a few will make mods for their own tastes just like many of us have with our '01's. If I end up with an '08 I will eventially replace the hood. Most of those that are disappointed are the one's who want more flash. That's not the rerason for the car. I do agree with one thing though. Black car in SF. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?????? (I do like black by the way)

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I wonder if they realized that the brightness and glare of autoshow lights didn't show off the DHG very well, so they switched to the black.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Nothing against a Black Bullitt, but the '08 is a tribute to the movie and the '68 Mustang that McQueen drove in the movie. Anything other than a DHG shows me that even Ford's own marketing and PR people don't know what they have, and the reason it was built! :sad:

That is akin to parking a DHG Charger next to a Black Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
We were pretty excited when we saw it, because it was running, and it was loud and moving. :)

I couldn't have been more happy when I saw it. :-B

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:
Nothing against a Black Bullitt, but the '08 is a tribute to the movie and the '68 Mustang that McQueen drove in the movie. Anything other than a DHG shows me that even Ford's own marketing and PR people don't know what they have, and the reason it was built! :sad:

That is akin to parking a DHG Charger next to a Black Bullitt.
The marketing people (we met at Flatrock) who were at the show were clueful. I wonder what happened... Tony's not shy, he'll ask. ;-)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First, don`t flame me if you have not seen it in person. And, in all fairness, not only was it not running and obviously I could not drive it, it was locked and I could not even sit in it. Second, I was not and am not looking for bling, only the Bullitt factor. I think maybe I was expecting too much. The only thing I can compare it with is the absolute religious experience I had when I saw #1843..it spoke to me , the seas parted and the angels sang. I did not want or need another car but had to have the Bullitt. I went to the show just to see "the new Bullitt in SF" thinking it would be moving...it was not what I expected. Is it cool, yes...is it stealth, yes...could I own one someday, yes...am I going to sell the farm and go put down a deposit....nope.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
wally05 said:
visually there are more differences on an 01.
Just people don't notice it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Interesting ... It seems the issues most folks seem to find as negative with the 2008 are what I find agreeable. I was going to hold out on my critique of the car until I saw one in person as opposed to what I've seen here on a computer screen only, but I'll go ahead with what I think so far:

Honestly, this car came out EXACTLY with what I had imagined it would look like. I am impressed with the appearance and think the HG color came out beautiful on this body style. I LIKE IT ~ !!!

I like the plain grille with it's gutsy pattern and chrome accent. I like the plain, subdued, stealthy look of the rake on the body. The wheels couldn't be better. This is about as good as a retro 68 body style can get without being an actual 68 body. I would have preferred the original style heat extraction hood, but then again there are probably as many folks out there that can't wait to put an aftermarket shaker on there (without one thought to originality whatsoever ... LOL) as soon as they get it home (and I don't think a shaker add-on would look all that bad). I can easily get over the lack of red calipers ... LOL

I like the dash in the interior. Very creative and hopefully will remain unique to the BULLITT. It's different, yet creative and tasteful and that is what I like about it. Although I am a little disappointed in the lack of vertical pleated upholstery, I am anxious to see how the seats actually feel. I'll say that if Ford placed the Shelby seats in this model then they obviously gave it the best seats they had, even if they were already on the "shelf".

The interior is not overloaded with billet items, but just right to the point that every BULLITT-unique item in the interior seems to accent itself in it's own way. Billet items are always upgradable to each owner's preference. The short-throw shifter will be welcomed.

Although I have decided not to purchase one at any time, I would like to test drive a 2008. Hopefully I'll be able to do so either right before or after I step out of a comparable Shelby GT (4.6 engine) so I can get a good idea of how much the Shelby GT is really overpriced. I am confindent the performance will be what I have envisioned it to be.

Since I have no idea how the suspension feels, nor won't until I do drive one, I'll save that part of the critique for later. Gotta drive it first to be fair in criticizing it from this point on.

I'm sure the future 2008 owners will find the cosmetic attractions similarly.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I want the '08. Bad. The wife is already threatening me.

And if I do, it might just be a black one.....

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I've tried not to be too critical about the 08' BULLITT, but from what I've seen and read It just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe just a stuborn thing on my part.LOL
Ron
Edit- To add LOUD and moving might make a difference!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Bullistic said:
I've tried not to be too critical about the 08' BULLITT, but from what I've seen and read It just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe just a stuborn thing on my part.LOL
Ron
Edit- To add LOUD and moving might make a difference!
I know what you mean...we '01 owners are maybe a bit jealous of all the hype over the new one.
I wonder if the owners of the Z/28 Camaros,from 1967 to 1970, felt the same,as every year the Z got better?
I couldn't compare to the Boss 302,since it was a 2 year wonder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts