Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Had an 08 Bullitt and back in the market looking for one. Curious, are there any bolt on or computer related upgrades that increase HP on a stock 4.6 ? I am curious about things such as under drive pulleys, chips, reprograms, headers, higher octane fuel etc. No internals or super chargers, would like to hear others experience in this area. Thanks

steve

·
Registered
854 Posts
Some quick "bolt ons" will surely open up the engine a bit. Things like headers (removing cats if possible), intake (Bullitt has ford racing version) and tuning will help. Then theres the option of throttle bodies and intake manifold. Alot of people say without boost there is some bottom end power loss with the intake manifold as it doesn't have the charge motion plates/motors.

Heres a video where with just intake, exhaust, and tune they were able to raise peak horsepower by ~50hp and torque by ~60ft/lbs. Of course numbers will vary by car and dyno used.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When my 'new to me' 2008 Bullitt is in my hands in a couple weeks, I'll be doing a Steeda tune, delete plates and an underdrive pulley set up as my power up kit. I'd love to just throw on a small Edelbrock supercharger & call it a day but I'm not willing to drop that kind of $$ into a car already 13 years old.

From all I've read, short tube headers are primarily for appearance and offer minimal gains whereas long tube headers complicate basic maintenance and may be good for 15-30 hp, depending on what other mods you do.

In regards to the Ford intake system, it only works well if you do other mods- bigger throttle body setup and cams. Then your gas mileage goes to crap also and it affects your drivability. Sounds fun in theory but for my purposes, well it's not for me.

It's all a building system. Do one thing, but to realize more significant power gains, you gotta do another, then another, then another...They all feed on each other. Even w/long tubes, the throttle body, intake cams, tune, etc, you might be looking at 50-60 hp gain. Is that worth? Only you can make that decision. Go the s/c route, instant 100 HP (or more plus some righteous torque) and no fuss, no muss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thanks for the responses, agree with your opinions. I have heard a few comment that they feel that Ford underated the HP on the Bullitt at 315. Do you agree ? I have heard others say it is more like 335 -350. thanks

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
The whole intake (manifold and throttle body) is actually pretty good as-is. Open up the exhaust with longtubes/high flow cats/mufflers. Then Definitely a custom tune.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my 'new to me' 2008 Bullitt is in my hands in a couple weeks, I'll be doing a Steeda tune, delete plates and an underdrive pulley set up as my power up kit. I'd love to just throw on a small Edelbrock supercharger & call it a day but I'm not willing to drop that kind of $$ into a car already 13 years old.

From all I've read, short tube headers are primarily for appearance and offer minimal gains whereas long tube headers complicate basic maintenance and may be good for 15-30 hp, depending on what other mods you do.

In regards to the Ford intake system, it only works well if you do other mods- bigger throttle body setup and cams. Then your gas mileage goes to crap also and it affects your drivability. Sounds fun in theory but for my purposes, well it's not for me.

It's all a building system. Do one thing, but to realize more significant power gains, you gotta do another, then another, then another...They all feed on each other. Even w/long tubes, the throttle body, intake cams, tune, etc, you might be looking at 50-60 hp gain. Is that worth? Only you can make that decision. Go the s/c route, instant 100 HP (or more plus some righteous torque) and no fuss, no muss.
Hello,

I envy you ... had an 08 a few years ago and sold it. Regret it very much, very fun car. Curious can you give me and idea of what you paid, miles etc. Curious as I am looking again also. Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I also owned an '08 Bullitt- sold her after it got hit 3x, figuring she was cursed. Although I've enjoyed all my Mustangs (8 since '88), I truly loved that car- still not really sure why- but as I've said elsewhere, it was also the car that convinced me not fall 'in love' anymore w/my cars. While I may still love them, that's where the relationship ends- cars are just appliances, not family members or extensions of my soul. Sorry, but that Bullitt did me in.

I did the same power-ups to that car I intend to do to this car and probably not much else power-wise. I'll focus a bit on suspension too but since my Stangs are always my daily drivers, I need to retain a practical element to it and keep it drivable.

As for what I paid, I'm not comfortable yet in announcing what I paid for it. I found a 'keeper' tho- well maintained and cared for by its current owner, only 22k on the odo, with limited mods.

I shopped pretty thoroughly across the 'net before making this deal. There's another reasonably priced, well maintained one f/s listed here: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt Edition and this is right in the expected price range I think you'll find for nice condition, lower mileage Bullitts. I was close to buying this one until the other one came along, spoke w/the sales guy, Kevin Morse who was a very nice guy. Better yet, there's no fees other than the price, plus Taxes, Title & Registration.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, I get it and thanks for the lead. That is a fair price I would think, maybe a little high. As always, I live in VA so transport expenses become an issue, but I will give it some thought. Good luck with the new Bullitt !!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

spoke with the salesman and the Bullitt is sold. I'll keep looking and thanks again.

steve

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have had way better luck with an SRT tuner and tune from Brenspeed than American Muscle.
IMHO

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have had way better luck with an SRT tuner and tune from Brenspeed than American Muscle.
IMHO
I tried 3 different tuners- American Muscle included- for my Bullitt & none of them got it right. AM may have been the worst. Then I went to STEEDA, where I should've gone to in the beginning. In all my Stangs since, I've never had an issue w/any STEEDA tune. I'd have no issues going to Brenspeed either.
Lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford Racing TB - Ford Racing X Pipe - One Piece Alum. Drive Shaft - Direct Ram Air Set Up - Accel Coils and Performance Spark Plugs - Race Tune by BAMA and 93 Octane Tune as well - The car is noticeably different now - Power and Torque is impressive - Fast and fun to drive now, with much better exhaust sound - didn't do the long tube headers - I'm extremely happy with this simple combo of easy to install upgrades - Expense can add up but it is well worth it
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you want to add a SC on a budget. look into Department Of Boost. DOB is a pretty decent added HP per $$ spent. if you spend time buying the other parts yourself when deal pop up it can be easily done for less than $4K.if you can do the work yourself installation isn't that hard. a LOT of noobs have done DOB installs successfully.
the stock rods and pistons won't handle anything over 500rwhp. hp at this level can be easily reached with a M122 07-12 GT500 SC.
if you upgrade the rods and pistons making over 500rwhp can be easily done in the M122 GT500 SC with pulley swaps. better yet find a used trinity SC off a 13-14 GT500 and 600+ rwhp is easily done.
i found a gen 1 TVS 2300 SC used. i scrounged the rest of the parts cheap. i make 650rwhp on pump 93 octane. i make a estimated 800+ on race 110 no lead, it's gone 145 mph in the 1/4 at the drag strip. and it's daily driver reliable because it's built with stock USED GT500 parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wowsa, that's a great package for the price- thanks for the info! I reviewed their page and agree w/them too. The '05-09 S197 package shouldn't be looking at more than 450 HP, at least not without extensive engine builds incorporated into the project, as well as additional suspension and braking components too, to complement it all.

But since I'm not that mechanically inclined, it'd mean I'd have to send it to a shop, which would add some pretty significant expense to the whole deal but still, that ain't too shabby. Again, thanks for the link.
Lee

·
Registered
380 Posts
don't sell yourself short.
the basic kit is BOLT ON. the hardest part is you have to extend a few wires, maybe 10, a couple of inches. if you can install delete plates you can do this job.
actually the hardest part is sourcing the small parts. especially if you just buy the intake kit like i did.
i have read about several people with NO experience have done this install on facebook.
DOB has a very active facebook page where a LOT help is available and freely given, if you need it. the main man behind DOB, jason, moderates this page and usually posts on it several times a day.
if you read the instructions a few times. and triple check your work you can do it. just don't expect to do the job overnight.
there is a tuning guy leto or something like that that is the recommended tuner. he is located in south america , maybe brazil. he is good, very reliable, responds to questions fast, and reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts