Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a low mileage 2008 Bullitt. Love the car but would like to change a couple of mods by previous owner:
Ford “racing suspension” installed just too stiff for bad roads in NYC where I live. I was thinking of keeping the sway bars/adjustable panhard bar and installing Bilstein HD shocks/ eibach springs. Any specific recommendations? Plan to use the car mainly for long distance/GT.
The previous owner installed Bassani exhaust. I like the quality and SS construction but too loud and there is an annoying drone/ resonance off idle to about 2500 rpm. Ideally I’d just like to change the mufflers, any suggestions?
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
Welcome aboard Burt. There have been hundreds of posts about exhaust here with many having changed axlebacks (mufflers). So, I did a search for you. Really depends on the tone desired. Ford spent millions researching the '08-'09 Bullitt exhaust to replicate the movie sound as closely as possible while staying within the federal db limit. Part of this was also a special H pipe that had a washer welded in it to create that off throttle cackle. All of above why I stayed stock with my'09.

https://www.imboc.com/forums/gtsearch.php?q=Axle back exhaust

Suspension? Again, I stayed stock, but have often toyed with the idea of upgrades there. Bilstein makes great shocks, bound to be an improvement over stock, although Ford says Bullitts got some special valving shocks.

Again, lots of posts made about suspension mods here...try the search box on the upper right.

https://www.imboc.com/forums/gtsearch.php?q=suspension mods

Happy reading. Seems the more I read, the more confused I get...so I do nothing.

NYC? Living there, I'd think a surplus Armored Personnel Carrier would be ideal...;)

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
If it's the FR3A Ford Racing kit, have you tried adjusting the shocks/struts? When they're in the soft position the ride is only slightly more harsh than the original suspension was (assuming it has the P springs).

Quite a few of us use the Ford Racing FR500 mufflers (also known as "KR" mufflers). If the rest of the exhaust is stock then they sound really nice and have no drone. If there are other modifications then they can also start to get pretty loud. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone complain about drone with them, even with other modifications. One other plus is that the tips are identical to the stock mufflers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much for the good advice. Part of the fun in owning a car like this is hearing from other owners and researching mods. I really appreciate your help. Best

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
See, on my original OEM Bullitt suspension, I found highway trips absolutely exhausting, as the car bobbed and bounced, and the head-toss was unbearable after 2 hours behind the wheel.

The Ford Racing kit with K springs REALLY settled it down, but now the bumps are much harsher, so highway trips are still punishing - just in a different way. But the improvement for around-town driving can't be overstated.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had the STEEDA Sport springs on my '08 Bullitt, just as currently I have on my '09 GT500 and had on my '14 GT Track Pack. Other than the adjustable panhard bar, that's all the handling performance work I've ever done to my last 3 Stangs. Didn't hurt ride quality one iota, increased handling performance significantly and all 3 cars were daily drivers for me.

RE: Exhaust- FR500S mufflers. Boom- you're done.
Lee

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Yesm be sure to check for coupons or promotions. I remember now - I did order from Jeg's when they were running a $50-off-$500 promotion, so I got them shipped to my door for under $500.

·
BULLITT In The Chamber
69 Posts
Yesm be sure to check for coupons or promotions. I remember now - I did order from Jeg's when they were running a $50-off-$500 promotion, so I got them shipped to my door for under $500.
:surprise: When did you order yours? I just got mine delivered today from LMR. They only had two in stock when I ordered last weekend. Their price was the best I could find...$590 after sales tax and 7% coupon code. CJ had a little better deal, but they were out of stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up with steeda springs and Bilstein HD shocks, kept ford racing sway bars and adjustable Panhard rod. I went with a magnaflow cat back system. Very satisfied with the results!. Went to a great shop on LI specializing in Mustangs: Mustang Magic. Really great team of people that has done everything you can do to a mustang. Fun to visit too as there is every year of hot rod mustang there on a Saturday. Thanks to all for your advice and help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts