Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Greg for the post and photos about the 2009 Corvette ZR1. HUGE WOW!

But in a news report TONIGHT, from ABC Channel 7 in Detroit, there was a brief story about the Corvette likely ending production ... permanently ... with the 2009 model.

Reasons: worsening regulations regarding fuel mileage, CO2 emissions and ... you know. (Deja Vu: 1970s)

So is this solid evidence that history is again repeating itself as the second, and maybe last, muscle car era comes to an end?

Is the Corvette really doomed to end in 2009? Let's stay tuned. Imagine what this will do to Corvette sales AND the price of all used Corvettes. Ain't gonna be no more????????

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check That ... as they say in the sports world.

A continuing report tonight gave more info and it is the super performance Corvettes that will end with the 2009 ZR1, not the Corvette name.

The Z06?? Will that continue?

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Next Vette is a downsized car from today, based loosely on the Saturn two seater. It'll have the Ecotech four. Plus, and get this. Electric motor four wheel drive! Each wheel will have it's very own electric motor to assist the accelleration of the car from 0-60 mph in less than 10 seconds!:doubt:

Not really. But GM has plans for a four banger Vette, and they did mention electric assisted acceleration. I don't really know if it's for real any longer. But Bob Lutz talked about two versions in an interview in the past couple of months. I think in the Detriot Free Press? IDR. So it is possible. Yup! The 70's are on their way back!

I can hardly wait for the next Mustang III Pony!:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
I am not a fan of the new vette...the late 60's vette was too cool but now just a big yellow blob:lol:(they all come in yellow...right?:eek:)..at least thats all i see around where i live:shock:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Crazy,got a funny feeling that things are going to get worse for all the automakers and there big hp cars,and gas pig trucks. :confused:

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
If you were alive and aware of cars in the 70s...

Remember the Opel GT two seater. Looked like an unsanforized Corvette. That's just about what you will get come 20??. Just like Daddy's, only smaller and not worth anything to drive.:frown:

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brand new 68 Camaro lasted me well into the seventies. I saw it all. This is just tooooo familiar, guys.

Prepare.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DavidMidgley said:

Remember the Opel GT two seater. Looked like an unsanforized Corvette. That's just about what you will get come 20??. Just like Daddy's, only smaller and not worth anything to drive.:frown:

Yeah, man.

Back in the day, the Buick Opel GT was referred to as the "MiniVette".

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
DavidMidgley said:

Hey, I had one of those,back in 1973!

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I'm 6'4" tall. And in the 70s I thought the Opel GT was the cats meow. Then I got into one. I was totally bent over and up. But I fit! NOT! My buddy bought one that day. I took a pass. He was happy for about one year with that car. And the he regreted the next three that he had to make payments, and could never sell it for what he owed. I think I called a wrecking yard to have it hauled off and stripped just to get rid of it.:eek: :lol:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I also heard on the news tonight,that Chrysler is now "operationally" bankrupt,as quoted by their CEO!!
Challenger might not be around very long.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Mus408 said:
I also heard on the news tonight,that Chrysler is now "operationally" bankrupt,as quoted by their CEO!!
Challenger might not be around very long.
Challenger might not be period. I think they will part it out eventually. Sell off nameplates like Jeep, sell the factories. Sell the Dodge brand maybe.

IMHO, the handwriting was on the wall when they sold all shares to Diamler-Benz for a % on the dollar when cars were selling well.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
The Challenger is coming...but....i think will be short-lived:cry:

An...from what i've seen of the new Mustang design....its in trouble...my .02

I remember when the Vette was really the car to own...that was many years ago!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts