Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article in "The Mustang News" recently,

As it turns out, much of the development work involved with the 2008-2009 Bullitt Mustang was a bridge to the new 2010 Mustang. This is seen in the new car in many respects from the suspension tuning to the increased power of the 4.6 liter V-8.

Starting with the chassis there is a significant new addition to the 2010 Mustang. AdvanceTrac, new for 2010, traction control and anti-lock brakes also are standard. Well known from other Ford models, AdvanceTrac uses sensors to detect and measure yaw, or side-to-side skidding conditions, by monitoring the vehicle’s speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle.

When AdvanceTrac senses wheel slippage, it reduces engine torque and applies the brakes as needed. AdvanceTrac can be run on or off with the V-6. In the GT, AdvanceTrac, can be run in on, off or Sport mode, which allows drivers to push it more while still retaining control. This is a major step forward as it offers a new layer of safety for drivers - especially the younger and inexperienced ones that often find themselves in a Mustang.

Handling and refinement of the chassis were top goals for Team Mustang. “We adjusted the springs, stabilizer bars and shocks to better balance the ride, steering and handling for all models, which results in a more engaging driving experience,” said Vehicle Engineering Manager Tom Barnes. “The 2010 Mustangs feel more controlled for steering and handling, yet retain a good ride balance.”

Tires are increased by an inch across the Mustang line, with 17-inch tires standard on the V-6 and 18-inch tires standard on the V-8. A 19-inch Pirelli Summer tire is late available as an option for those seeking higher performance.

The proven chassis from the Bullitt series serves as the base for the GT. A standard strut-tower brace pioneered on the Bullitt lends additional stiffness to the chassis to improve cornering for those selecting the 19-inch tire. “You’re getting the best-handling, best-balanced Mustang ever as the base GT,” said Chief Nameplate Engineer Paul Randle.

One of the best performance evolutions for the Mustang is the new performance pack options that Ford will be offering. It all starts with the “GT Track Package I”. Available with a manual transmission only, the option package includes performance front brake pads, 3.73 axle ratio, and a recalibrated AdvanceTrac program that allows a bit more aggression on the part of the driver before stepping in.

If you want more, you can select "GT Track Package II." Again this package can only be had with a stick-shift tranny and will come along later in the model year. This upgrade includes performance front/rear brake pads, GT500 sway bars and rear lower control arms, retuned struts and shocks, larger 19-inch Pirelli tires, 3.73 axle ratio with carbon plates in the differential, and the recalibrated AdvanceTrac, traction control and anti-lock brakes

These new option packages will give buyers the chance to really get a handling edge without having to bolt in an aftermarket suspension later. “With the new tires, the new shock tuning, some new spring setups and new stabilizer bars, 2010 Mustang customers will get an even better driving experience,” Barnes said.

As far as engines go, yes we hoped for more - especially with the base V-6 engine. It was a bit a surprise that Ford continues to offer the venerable 4.0-liter V-6 engine, which is rated at 210 horsepower and 240 pounds-feet of torque. With so many better options in the parts bin like the new 3.5 liter DOHC smooth running V6 that has 265hp, we wonder where the logic is with the noisy and rough old 4.0.

The 4.6-liter V-8 engine, which is now rated at 315 horsepower and 325 pounds-feet of torque soldiers on. Horsepower gains on the V-8 are achieved by the cold-air induction system pioneered through Ford Racing. The intake is tucked behind the driver-side headlamp, mounted in an air box specific to the Mustang. Extensive sealing modifications ensure cold air from the front of the Mustang feed the engine. The redline for the V-8 is increased 250 rpm to 6,500, and revised calibration ensures the customer fully feels these changes.

Both the V-6 and V-8 engines have larger exhaust tips, growing to 3 and 3 ½ inches, respectively, up ½ inch from the previous model. The V-8 exhaust features polished tips. Each is mated to five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmissions.

Personally, the Bullitt is unique in styling, interior and is numbered to 7700. After the 2010's come out and are around for awhile, the Bullitt will always be exclusive and that's special!!:wink:

I'd be interested in your thoughts??:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
When they did the 2010 reveal, I listened closely to what modifications they were actually following through with. Considering the new camaro is going to be such a heavyweight, along with the challenger, I was assuming Ford would bring a ground pounder. Not really the case. Very quick car, but it's not going to sell because it's faster than the SRT8 or Camaro SS.
The performance capabilities of the Bullitt were only a small part of why I bought it. Honestly, I've always liked Mustangs. However I found their commonality a real turn-off. The uniqueness and the killer looks is what sold me. It's so clean looking and mysterious to people who know very little about cars.
In the end, it is nice that performance wise it can still keep up with a stock GT for 2010. Usually a point of lament among people that must have the baddest toy on the block.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
a 2010 with Trac pac, possibly trac pac 2 will be closest to the '08 '09 Bullitt

The wording is a bit confusing, sounds like only the 19" wheel option includes the strut tower brace?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sothpaw said:
When they did the 2010 reveal, I listened closely to what modifications they were actually following through with. Considering the new camaro is going to be such a heavyweight, along with the challenger, I was assuming Ford would bring a ground pounder. Not really the case. Very quick car, but it's not going to sell because it's faster than the SRT8 or Camaro SS.
The performance capabilities of the Bullitt were only a small part of why I bought it. Honestly, I've always liked Mustangs. However I found their commonality a real turn-off. The uniqueness and the killer looks is what sold me. It's so clean looking and mysterious to people who know very little about cars.
In the end, it is nice that performance wise it can still keep up with a stock GT for 2010. Usually a point of lament among people that must have the baddest toy on the block.

Oh ya,

I agree, and the stealth look, clean lines without the spoiler, front grill lights and fake hood scoop is another reason I gravitated to the Bullitt!

BTW, last night a Volkswagon GTI or R32 caught me at the light. I wasn't interested in pushing the limit (o.k. maybe..), but when we left together he looked over and realized it was a Stang and immediately gunned it. Of course I just couldn't just watch that happen ssssssssssooo off I went. The reason I wasn't sure if it was a GTI or R32 is because I never saw his rear bumper! My baby performed like I thought she would and ran STRONG from 1st thru 3rd. To say the least, she cleaned his clock, but quick!!

After about 3/4 mile, I pulled to the side of the road. As he drove past me he looked at me and looked P^%$SED..:mad: :lol: I haven't engaged anyone for quite some time (never look for it), but sometimes a Bullitt's gotta do what a Bullitt's gotta do!!:lol:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
On Nov 18th I drove the new 2010 GT on the drag strip simulator.. ran a 1/4 mile ET of 13.53
My ET may have been a little better if I hadn't hit the rev limiter at the top of 3rd...

Engine feels strong, but for myself I would still install an aftermarket program in it, that should improve the the ET another .10 or .20 and help on the throttle lag..

In conclusion those that own the 08/09 made a very good purchase.
IMO the styling of the 2010 does nothing for me.

=-=-=-=-=-=-

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
With all these new factory 19" wheels, 19" tires should become more readily available! ;)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I like the looks of the 2010, new colors (grabber blue is way cool), improved interior, and the new options packages (like the track packages) are a great idea. An option package that's not just different trim or stripes like the GT/CS (which I do like), but is based on actually improving performance. Way to go Ford, hat's off to your engineering folks. Now let's see another 25 hp for the base GT engine next year, and a Boss with 375 hp, the best suspension they can put on it, GT 500 brakes and lightened by a good 200 lbs.

That said, I still love #5998.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not too keen on the new looks but I like the performance technology. Glad to be enjoying some of it now with the Bullitt. I don't know if I would opt for the AdvanceTrac. I'm old school and enjoy more control without technologically imposed and artificial limits on driving and handling.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Better interior design???

I was intrigued by the supposedly better interior design of the 2010... but LOVE the exclusivity (and Steve McQueen spirit) of the Bullitt.

Then I watched this video focusing on the 2010's styling changes... and saw where the new cup holders are. I had heard they were "hidden" and thought that meant they were out of the way of the shifter. Well, they're hidden alright. But they're still in the same location. And with the cover that keeps them hidden sticking up when open, I imagine it will be even harder to use these cup holders when I do want to use one (for a bottle of water only, of course!) So much for the better interior design (in my humble opinion)...

Oh... and here's Motor Trend comparing the 2010 and 2009 Mutangs, so you can see exactly how Ford changed things...

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well, if they are going to have 2 Trac Pack options,why not make the 2nd version a "Drag-Pack" with a good Hurst shifter and 4.10 gear! Forget 19 inch wheels,they do nothing for you,except a harder ride,and nothing for getting a tire to hook on the asphalt. You need some sidewall flex. Unless,like in the Challenger's case,the big 20's make the car look smaller!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.