Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bullitt is just a few weeks over 2-years old now. For the past several months we have not driven the car much (wife and I work from home due to COVID) and I noticed sometimes when I took it out it would turn over slowly when starting the engine. Tonight I took it out to pick up dinner and waited in the parking lot for about 10 minutes without the engine on but the radio was powered. That was enough to kill the battery and I had to jump it to get the car started so I could get home.

I’m guessing I just haven’t been driving the car enough and the batter state of charge just got too low. Not enough driving time to recharge the battery. I’m also in Maryland and it had been getting cold the last few weeks. But I wanted to check in and see if there were any issues with the battery in the 2019 going bad after only 2 years. I suspect I just need to take it out for a long drive tomorrow (oh darn).

Thanks,

Skip

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Get a trickle charger, and have it on all time you are not using the car. New cars can drain a fully charged battery in under a month. If you drive every day it takes ten minutes or so for the battery to reach a full surface charge ~13.2v. If you drive your car every two weeks, probably 30 minutes to charge. This produces a lot of extra heat in your alternator and will shorten it's life. In short, trickle charge. If your battery needs to be "jumped," you'll need to charge it with a regular charger over night for full power.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Yes, you need to get/connect a battery "maintainer" on your sweet 'stang. It takes some juice to turn-over all those ponies & sitting f/ long periods w/o a charge isn't good. I have tenders on all long-term sotrage motors here in NE (riding mower, motorcycle, Bullitt). I have Stanley tenders (bought @ Menard's), but a good/economical one is Battery Tender Jr. I did see another post recommending the Battery Saver 2365, but it's a tad $pendier than simple tender ($122 on Amazon). Good thing is it's "all-encompassing (maintainer, charger, tester, coffeemaker ( :D ), etc. Maybe add it to your XMas list??? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Bullitt is just a few weeks over 2-years old now. For the past several months we have not driven the car much (wife and I work from home due to COVID) and I noticed sometimes when I took it out it would turn over slowly when starting the engine. Tonight I took it out to pick up dinner and waited in the parking lot for about 10 minutes without the engine on but the radio was powered. That was enough to kill the battery and I had to jump it to get the car started so I could get home.

I’m guessing I just haven’t been driving the car enough and the batter state of charge just got too low. Not enough driving time to recharge the battery. I’m also in Maryland and it had been getting cold the last few weeks. But I wanted to check in and see if there were any issues with the battery in the 2019 going bad after only 2 years. I suspect I just need to take it out for a long drive tomorrow (oh darn).

Thanks,

Skip
A lot of the electronics in the car continue to use power at a low rate and after a while will drain the battery. Once the battery is drained so low sometimes it won't come back.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
OE batteries should last ~4-5 years under ideal conditions. A good battery should be able to come back from the dead many times, if re-charged correctly. It's the heat that kills them and constant charging sulphates the battery plates and reduces the capacity to hold a charge. Trickle charge them and they can last a long time.

·
Registered
2019 Bullitt DHG K2296
3 Posts

Thanks,

Skip
Invest in a Battery Tender . Battery Tender.com it will save you problems you can wire a quick disconnect to your battery when not driving for a week or so plug it in and leave on it will only charge as needed then go into storage mode. Hope this helps you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts