Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is now the middle of July. When should we expect the first of the 2020 Bullitt to start showing up.

I wonder how they will be numbered? Will they continue where the 2019s left off or will they change the "Model" character and start over with the numbers?

I think (MHO) that the total number of 19s and 20s will exceed the number of the previous model Bullitt (01, 08 and 09) combined.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Like the current production GT350s (and GT500s), the 2020MY Serial numbers will start back at 0001, using an 'L' prefix versus the 2019 'K' suffix.
Greg, do you know they will restart the numbers for 2020 or is that a guess? The 2009’s didn’t start over again right?

I assume (I know, when you assume...) the 2020’s will be “L” but continuation numbers

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
It is now the middle of July. When should we expect the first of the 2020 Bullitt to start showing up.

The order banks opened recently and production will start next month on August 19, so probably by early September we should start to see some.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Greg, do you know they will restart the numbers for 2020 or is that a guess? The 2009’s didn’t start over again right?

I assume (I know, when you assume...) the 2020’s will be “L” but continuation numbers
My understanding is the prefix is nothing to do with the Bullitt, all Ford cars have them. Therefore they will not completely mess up their VIN system just to keep a number going for one variant of a model that will more than likely have less than 5000 units made.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The order banks opened recently and production will start next month on August 19, so probably by early September we should start to see some.
Thanks Tony, that is the information that I was looking for. If someone is looking for a Bullitt today, wait another month and there should be big discounts available. Maybe even a rebate if there are enough hanging around on the lots.

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
My understanding is the prefix is nothing to do with the Bullitt, all Ford cars have them. Therefore they will not completely mess up their VIN system just to keep a number going for one variant of a model that will more than likely have less than 5000 units made.

As Greg mentioned, the "L" on the chassis number plate will only be on the serial numbered cars. "L" in the VIN would be in all 2020 model year Mustangs. Take a look at my 2019 VIN -

1FA6P8K06K5500726, where P8K is the Bullitt body code and the other K designates '2019'. My Bullitt number is K1254, while the VIN sequence number for the car is the last 6 digits (500726).

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
Thanks Tony, that is the information that I was looking for. If someone is looking for a Bullitt today, wait another month and there should be big discounts available. Maybe even a rebate if there are enough hanging around on the lots.

There are folks already getting discounts on them now, believe it or not. I know a buddy locally who got one with almost $4000 off msrp. He did well, as he paid about as much as my car with no options for his car with Magneride and the electronics package!

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts

I was working on this post while Tony was posting his regarding the Bullitt's VIN. More details follow below:

Restarting the numbers back to '0001' is a guess, but based on what Ford is doing with the GT 350s since the 2015MY, it is a logical guess.

The Letter 'K' which is the prefix of the 2019MY Mustang Bullitt Chassis Numbers, has nothing to do with the Bullitt, but it does represent the Model Year the vehicle was built. It is the tenth digit in the VIN. The current letter/number designation for a Ford vehicle's model year is:

2015MY => F
2016MY => G
2017MY => H
2018MY => J (Ford skips "I" as it can be confused with "1" which signifies the 2001MY.)
2019MY => K
2020MY => L
etc.....

As any example, here are 2015 through 2019 Mustang GT 350 chassis number plaque examples:

2015 GT 350 'F'

2016 GT 350 'G'

2017 GT 350 'H'

2018MY GT 350 'J'

2019MY GT 350 'K'

Ford reset each GT 350 Chassis numbering sequence back to '0001' at the start of the next model year.

I see Ford doing this same process for the 2019 and 2020 Mustang Bullitts, otherwise, why assign a prefix to the Chassis Number?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg, I don't disagree with you but my thoughts is that since the Bullitt is Limited to 2019 and 2020 ONLY, they may just continue with sequence number as the total number will be limited. In the case of the GT350, it is (was) destined for a number of years so it made sense to start over each year to prevent exceeding the number of digits.

It will be interesting to see how the first 2020s are sequenced. I expect them to change the Model Year from K to L but will they actually start over or pickup where they left off (like the did with the 08/09 ).

We don't have long to wait.

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
Greg, I don't disagree with you but my thoughts is that since the Bullitt is Limited to 2019 and 2020 ONLY, they may just continue with sequence number as the total number will be limited. In the case of the GT350, it is (was) destined for a number of years so it made sense to start over each year to prevent exceeding the number of digits.

If the 4 printed digits are a limit, then there would be only up to 9999, with 8000 of them produced in a single model year. That would seem to be some lopsided production :)

Reactions: JackDW - 852

·
Registered
36 Posts

There are folks already getting discounts on them now, believe it or not. I know a buddy locally who got one with almost $4000 off msrp. He did well, as he paid about as much as my car with no options for his car with Magneride and the electronics package!
Last time I checked the Dealer markup is still 5k-7k. Btw I lived in the Bay Area California.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Last time I checked the Dealer markup is still 5k-7k. Btw I lived in the Bay Area California.
I got my BULLITT under sticker, and may others have, 5+ months ago. Any dealer asking for a markup still is going to have that sitting on the lot for a while, or is selling to really dumb people.

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here we are. Depending upon the resources you read, the 2020 Models will start production either this week or next week. Once the production start gearing up, I expect to see a push to clear out the 2019 models. If you have been on the fence, this may be your opportunity. This is the time of the year to get your best deal on "last" years models. I expect to see some great bargains in the next few weeks.

On the other hand, if you want the latest and greatest, the 2020 will start showing up on the lots in about a month, maybe less. With all the 2019's still stilling around, I do not see dealers trying to add ADM to the 2020s. If you happen to encounter a dealer that is adding an ADM to a 2020, RUN. That dealer is looking at your wallet and not you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Regarding the 'latest and greatest' comment, the ONLY difference between a 2019 and 2020 is literally the K and L number (if they indeed change to L).

I think in years to come the 20's will be more desirable, because there will be less made. But other than that there is no difference haha.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Speaking to a member who has just had his VIN confirmed for his 2020 Bullitt, he says it has the L designation. I suspect it would be highly unlikely that they would use the L prefix for the VIN, and keep the K prefix for the dash plaque.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts