Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2180 re-build Tear down pics have started!

Well tomorrow I will officially kick off the re-build of 2180. I am going to Kimnach Ford to buy the rear Floor pan and rear frame rails. The parts guy there drives an 03 Cobra but has offered to buy 2180 before. He understands when I told him no and when I talked to him about having to re-build 2180 he told me he would give me an 18% discount on all the parts. The body shop was going to give me 10% discount. Anyway I am starting this thread to document as much of the re-build as I can. I am not going to start taking the car apart until I have most of the parts bought. I am trying to figure out the best way keep up with all the little stuff I pull off the car. I have to completely empty out the interior including all wiring from the doors back. I can leave the dash in place but EVERYTHING else has to come out. After I get that done I have to go under the car and take the fuel tank, fuel lines all brake lines well you get the idea EVERYTHING under the car has to come out also. My goal is to get 2180 back on the road to be at the 08 nats! PLEASE everyone wish me luck!

Tear down pics now included! at least a start!

Anyway like I said I will start tomorrow by shelling out 1190.56 for the floor pan and frame rails. I will try to take a picture of the Dealership where I am spending every spare dime I have on parts! :lol:

I hope I don't bore anyone and I am open for suggestions and ideas!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Good Luck Jeff !!!

bluebullitt2180.1 said:
Well tomorrow I will officially kick off the re-build of 2180. I am going to Kimnach Ford to buy the rear Floor pan and rear frame rails. The parts guy there drives an 03 Cobra but has offered to buy 2180 before. He understands when I told him no and when I talked to him about having to re-build 2180 he told me he would give me an 18% discount on all the parts. The body shop was going to give me 10% discount. Anyway I am starting this thread to document as much of the re-build as I can. I am not going to start taking the car apart until I have most of the parts bought. I am trying to figure out the best way keep up with all the little stuff I pull off the car. I have to completely empty out the interior including all wiring from the doors back. I can leave the dash in place but EVERYTHING else has to come out. After I get that done I have to go under the car and take the fuel tank, fuel lines all brake lines well you get the idea EVERYTHING under the car has to come out also. My goal is to get 2180 back on the road to be at the 08 nats! PLEASE everyone wish me luck!

Anyway like I said I will start tomorrow by shelling out 1190.56 for the floor pan and frame rails. I will try to take a picture of the Dealership where I am spending every spare dime I have on parts! :lol:

I hope I don't bore anyone and I am open for suggestions and ideas!
Best of luck Jeff. I hope everything turns out for you. I will keep to this thread to view your progress and I don't think anyone will find your posts boring at all. Something like this project being posted on here as things develop will only help everybody out in the future. POST PICS WHEN YOU CAN !!!

Thanks for sharing the project. If you need any help just sign on and I'm sure folks will be more than willing to help you out.

Again ... GODD LUCK !!! :smile:

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Good luck, Jeff. You've got a long haul ahead of you.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Awesome to see!!!Good luck with the build.Can't wait to see her when she is all done!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did make it to Kimnach today! The guy I normally deal with was not there so I didn't bring the camera in. He is probably the only one in there that would have understood!:lol:

Here are my new best friends:lol: Or at least I am their's

And man did that hurt! but here it is the receipt!

I have my eyes on a bumper and absorber on ebay right now that would save me about 180.00

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
best of luck with it. 12 for floorpan OUCH!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is my parts spreadsheet!

and if you see it in the next 2 pictures I need it

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called today and ordered the rest of the parts that are over 100.00. OUCH right at another 2000.00 after tax! The floor pan still hasn't come in yet though. Now I need to figure out how the heck I am going to pay for the body work to get done! I also have the bumper and bumper absorber We got off e-bay for 65.95 shipped and I pulled the bumper cover from 4902 out of storage and it is in good shape other than the paint. So I am getting there! I will need to start taking it all apart soon.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a question. Gail and I never got the 3rd sticker for 2180. If you look at the drawings above the hidden sticker goes on item 13 and that piece is going to be replaced. Now here is my question? Should I go through Ford and get the 3rd sticker and put it back where it belongs or just get it and hang on to it. No matter what I am going to make sure they keep that piece so I will have all 3 stickers. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
bluebullitt2180.1 said:
I have a question. Gail and I never got the 3rd sticker for 2180. If you look at the drawings above the hidden sticker goes on item 13 and that piece is going to be replaced. Now here is my question? Should I go through Ford and get the 3rd sticker and put it back where it belongs or just get it and hang on to it. No matter what I am going to make sure they keep that piece so I will have all 3 stickers. Any thoughts?
I would just hold on to it. No one will see the second sticker unless you sell it.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
What Dee said. I think that there are/were only three stickers made. If you get the third sticker and apply it to the cross member per specs, your out of stickers for ever.

IMHO, store the sticker. Use a heat gun/hair dryer and take off the old one with a razor if possible. Or maybe fishing line. Then reapply that to the new part if you like. But we don't see them, so maybe that isn't a big issue to you...:question: I'd try it. It's your car. Just a thought.

Parts? How about some cheapo plastic boxes from WalMart? And get ahold of some string tie paper tags for labling. Or maybe splurge and use a lable maker with sticky lables. Been there and done both. Stick on lables stay with the part better, but it takes time to lable things as you take them off. Tie tags are quick, but can come off.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am pretty sure we have figured out the money part of the equation now. I think I came up with a good idea on the hidden sticker too. I will get the floor cross member from them as soon as they take it out and then slowly and carefully cut the hologram out and have it welded back to 2180. I know it is crazy but I don't want to loose that part of the Bullitt. I called today to double check to make sure all the parts got ordered and now I only have about 500.00 more worth of parts to buy from Ford and of course I need to find a trunk lid and an exhaust pipe. I can put those off until the end if I have too. It sucks that I don't have a garage to work in since by the time I get all the parts and need to start pulling the car apart it will be cold outside! Maybe I will have to buy one of those cheap tent enclosures and a heater :lol: I have the parts problem figured out also. Work gives me a cruise box to tote my stuff around from place to place (a nice big metal box) that I am going to use to keep up with all the small stuff. I am going to buy some good quality freezer zip-lock bags and a sharpie. Before I pull anything off the car I will take a picture of it write the file name for that picture and a description of the part on the bag. I wish I could start taking her apart tomorrow but I think I will keep holding out until all the parts come in. I can't wait to get her back on the road again. Gail has been great about driving our truck back and forth to work and keeping the miles down on 4175. I want her to be able to drive a car when she wants to. I keep telling her I will drive the truck but I think she is afraid I will get mad because she stole my car!:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a little E-bay shopping and local wrecking yard searching. We now have a bumper and a trunk with no spoiler holes in it! of course they are both the wrong color but we can fix that! We paid 65.00 for the bumper shipped to us and 200.00 for the trunk! That saves a LOT over new parts! here they are. Only 500.00 more in parts to order (ordering this week). I am going to Fallon Nevada this week and next week for work, after that I am going to get started taking 2180 apart to get her in the body shop! I hope to have her in the shop before Thanksgiving! If I can maybe I can keep the Bullitt Tag for 2180. I only have until January to get it done or I have to swap Bullitt to 4175 to keep from losing it!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You must be getting excited know ing you got almost everything to move forward!!!
And what do you mean by...
If I can maybe I can keep the Bullitt Tag for 2180. I only have until January to get it done or I have to swap Bullitt to 4175 to keep from losing it!

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
We have the license plate "Bullitt." Since the car now salvaged we have to fix the car and get a 125 point inspection before we can plate the car again. The deadline before losing the license plate is January. We can transfer that plate to the new Bullitt if we have to in order to keep it current but would rather keep it on the original 2180 "Blue" and keep "L2 4175" on BlueToo.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts