Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the tallest (sidewall) tire we can put on an '08 stock wheel?

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
Dunno if it's the tallest, but stock is 235/50. Kind of puzzled why you'd want to go taller? Many here have gone a size lower and wider..245/45 if I recall..still close to same rolling diameter for speedometer accuracy..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno if it's the tallest, but stock is 235/50. Kind of puzzled why you'd want to go taller? Many here have gone a size lower and wider..245/45 if I recall..still close to same rolling diameter for speedometer accuracy..
Trying to explain it without sounding ignorant, I know a lot of people put bigger wheels on-why not just bigger (taller tires)? Cheaper and I think it would look cool--even if they were just on the rear. But wondering if they would rub--I know there would be speedometer issues but I wouldn't mind that. Somebody must have tried this right?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
245/50 @ 27.7" tall and 9.6" cross section vs
235/50 @ 27.3" tall and 9.3" cross section.
I'm currently running 245/45/19's (27.7" tall and 9.6" cross section) on Ford Racing 19x9 wheels and they fill up the wheel wells nice and don't rub and the wheels are offset more towards the wheel wells.

I need to mention that the dimensions are from the tire size site on the web, actual dimensions of tires vary with each manufacturer, I'm running Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires.

Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
As long as you keep the diameter very close to the same from front to back you should be alright. The ABS can potentially screw things up if it sees too much of a difference in speed between the front and back. I just changed the tires on my car and actually went to a 255/45R18. It's very close to the same height and around 3/4" wider. A higher aspect ratio would potentially give a softer ride due to a higher sidewall, but in my estimation would negatively impact the handling of the car. I don't know what the tallest tire would be without rubbing.

I priced both the stock size and the wider ones that I got, and surprisingly they were both the same cost. That doesn't happen very often, but for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that was the case.

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
245/50 @ 27.7" tall and 9.6" cross section vs
235/50 @ 27.3" tall and 9.3" cross section.
I'm currently running 245/45/19's (27.7" tall and 9.6" cross section) on Ford Racing 19x9 wheels and they fill up the wheel wells nice and don't rub and the wheels are offset more towards the wheel wells.

I need to mention that the dimensions are from the tire size site on the web, actual dimensions of tires vary with each manufacturer, I'm running Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires.

Gary
One huge advantage of your 19" wheels is that you could now fit a Brembo brake package. Brembos are a no go with our stock 18" wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts