Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took about 25 attempts to get my car started at lunch time today. All I could hear was a soft relay click when I turned the key. Drove it right to the dealer. As luck would have it...it started up with no problem for them multiple times. They told me to drive until it occurs on a regular basis as it could be any number of things that could cause this problem. Most common cause is the PATS code needed to be refreshed (whatever that means). Before I pulled out of the dealership I shut it down and sure enough it would not restart for me (multiple attempts). I ran back in and got the mechanic. You know where this is going...it starts right up for him with no problem (multiple times). He leaves and I go to start it up and sure enough it will not start. I go running after the mechanic again. He comes back out and finally it will not start for him. Turns out it is the clutch switch and they have to order it. After 3.5 hours I end up driving home in in a POS Chevy Metro on the dealership. Fun and games. I want my Bullitt back.

John

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Uhhhh Yeah, I would be sleeping in the bullitt at night after my experience with a certain service dept...

MODS
100mm densecharger
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
MGW Bullitt oil cap
Steeda Timing adjuster ( waiting for delivery)
debating on Pro 5.0 or steeda tri-ax
<BR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2002-01-16 22:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey TrueBlue, sounds like your day didn't get any better having to drive a Metro home. I'll bet the neighbors were wondering if you lost your mind and traded in the Bullitt. Sorry for the bad joke.... hope your car is fixed and runnin' in no time.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bulittt, my two teenage kids were making fun of me all night long. I finally told them I would drive one of their Stangs to work tomorrow if they didn't knock it off. That did the trick. Their Stangs are in my name and Dad pays the insurance.

John

·
Registered
724 Posts
John, what exactly is a clutch switch? I sometimes can't get my car started(it's happened about 3 times) it takes about 15 cranks and sometimes 10 minutes. I thought maybe something was wrong with the switch in the trunk.(having a brain fart can't recall).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey John, sorry to hear about this new problem, did they fix the rattle? Tell Nathan that he would look right at home in a Metro, I think he should let you drive his GT, lol. :grin: Or, tell him it pulled about as much hp on the dyno as his did Saturday, and that was in reverse since it is front wheel drive! :smile:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chalmers2212, our cars will not start unless the clutch pedal is down to the floor. There is a switch on the clutch pedal assembly which prevents the car from starting unless the clutch pedal is down to the floor. If this switch is bad it could be what is causing your starting problem.

Jay, very good. I should have thought of that!

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The neutral safety switch is most likely the problem. My first experience with such a thing was when my wife bought a new Toyota truck with the clutch pedal neutral safety switch. I had a heck of a time starting it one day. Then, as I was turning the key for some reason I pressed harder on the clutch and of course the truck started. From then on I realized the pedal had to be all the way depressed for it to start. Kind of embarassing huh?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts