Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2008 HG Bullitt today from a dealer in Georgia ( new ) and drove it home to Baton Rouge. When I got to the I 10 east of Tallahassee, I tanked up with Chevron 87 octane and topped off near Pensacola.

Trip of around 480 miles and I averaged 26 MPG by the display in the car and by difference when I filled up

The car I purchased is a basic Bullitt. There are no options above and beyond the Bullitt package

This car is about as close to old school as one can get yet has the revisions and upgrades to make a 480 mile highway trip survivable

I must have been nuts to buy this thing since I have been free of a car note for almost 4 years

Why did I buy the car ?

Rebate

X Plan Price

Obama Tax Deduction for taxes and interest on the loan

I could not think of a more American car that I could buy

I am crazy

It is a very nice car

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Glad your reasons are so well thought out! Rationalized your way into a nice car!

Ah heck, I did the same thing. I was ready to buy a Mazda Speed3 wagon but my wife killed me, said Steve McQueen would never drive a Mazda wagon, didn't care if it was turbocharged or not. Who was I to argue? (And she was probably right.)
Lee

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Good to hear you pulled the trigger.Bought mine like yours, only option is the 54B Bullitt pkg. List $31315, pd $29500. No regrets, have 13 months of fun driving over ya. Do not forget to register your production number.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
dancad said:
I purchased a 2008 HG Bullitt today from a dealer in Georgia ( new ) and drove it home to Baton Rouge. When I got to the I 10 east of Tallahassee, I tanked up with Chevron 87 octane and topped off near Pensacola.

Trip of around 480 miles and I averaged 26 MPG by the display in the car and by difference when I filled up

The car I purchased is a basic Bullitt. There are no options above and beyond the Bullitt package

This car is about as close to old school as one can get yet has the revisions and upgrades to make a 480 mile highway trip survivable

I must have been nuts to buy this thing since I have been free of a car note for almost 4 years

Why did I buy the car ?

Rebate

X Plan Price

I am crazy

It is a very nice car
Glad you pulled the trigger! I don't think you will ever regret buying your Bullitt. Most folks around here bought them to keep forever. I'm sure you can rationalize keeping something like the Bullitt, especially if you completely pay it off...:wink:

Mine is paid for, and haven't looked back since buying it. Nor do I regret the car payments.:cool:

To quote a Bullitthead I know. "This car makes me smile."

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have more rationale logic to apply today based on gas mileage. I should save 100 plus gallons per year or around $10 per month which covers some of the additional insurance cost

As a bonus, I received in the mail today a private offer from Ford for an additional $750 which the dealer was able to process

So I snagged X plan + $5000 rebate + $750 private offer and found the lowest stick price left that I could locate. Plus the Ford Protection plan should I lose my job and a low interest rate.

So I got this beast for around $23,500....

The way i presented this to the wife was that I would pay at least $20,000 for anything or worth, the Bullitt may hold value better than the rest. A grand prix or malibu would be ~ 12,000 in a year.

On her first ride today she revealed that many moons ago, she and hubby #1 ( deceased ) had purchased a 1970 or 1971 mustang mach I which was white with a red leather interior brand new.

So she had a hidden agenda her.

I cannot wait until she pushed the clutch for the first time

The dealer told me that there has been a surge in Bullitt sales over the last few weeks so I finally bit the bullet and bought one.

Regarding the black bullitt, I was called away by work duties and never made it to the dealer as I had planned. I had to tell the guy to sell the car since I had no idea when I could have gotten there.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
dancad said:

Why did I buy the car ?

Rebate

X Plan Price

I am crazy

It is a very nice car
Why did I buy the car ?

I paid MSRP

No Rebate

No X Plan Price

No Obama Tax Deduction for taxes and interest on the loan

I jacked up my car payment by $150/mo and I am more upside down than ever before.

I am crazier than you are.

It is a very nice car

:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a steel plant veteran as well. I worked in the Coke Ovens for Bethlehem Steel south of Buffalo in the early 80's .

Ford was one of our biggest customers.

I could not get myself to buy a foreign car

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why did I buy this car? Whats the old saying, If you have to ask you won't understand! Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
660 Posts
dancad said:
I am crazy
Welcome to the club! :D

Seriously, buying a Bullitt Mustang shows you have glimmers of extreme lucidity. That, or my telling you this merely proves I'm crazy, too. Or I have the same extremely lucid moments. Or I'm so crazy that I think we're both having lucid extremely moments. Or -

Better stop.

Enjoy it! I think it's one of the few cars that makes half the population smile as much as the drivers. Then there are those who just don't care about cars, and this car won't be seen as anything but a waste. Those are the people I want to take for a ride if, for no other reason than, to convert them. One ride, and they'll leave the Sierra Club and become IMBOCers.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I brought my "new to me" Bullitt into work last night so I could hear the oohs & aaaaahhhhhs. Nothing makes a papa so proud that to have your co-workers drooling as they check it out. It's really a distinctive car.
Lee

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Welcome Dancad. I know you will enjoy the ride.Let the mods begin.Be very careful it starts with a little billit piece maybe an e-brake handle or something.Next thing you know there you are pricing superchargers and the like.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You took your time thinking about it so your wife can't accuse you of shooting from the hip.

Good buy, Welcome and Aloha

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It helped that I work for Castrol and have had some input from our Brothers at Ford when the Bullitt wrapper first came off a few years ago. I have followed it ever since, read every car mag article that came out about it ( plus and minus ) and also waited to see the 2010, which is a nice car yet not a snortin' McQueen Machine

I also inquired with a few guys who have car collections ( and planes, and more money than I will ever see ) regarding the car as a possible collectible down the line.

All agreed that this car was a better buy than the Mustang Shelby and in fact would prove out over the long haul to have been a better buy.

Does anyone know if there is a national bullitt convention/meeting anywhere this year ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts