Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got into my brand new 08 Bullitt on Friday. Absolutely love it. However, today while driving I noticed there's a pretty loud clunk while shifting into second. Doesn't seem to happen while I shift into any other gears. Not sure if it's because of my shoddy driving, newness of the car, or a legit prob with the car.
Thanks for any help in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Are you releasing the clutch in between 1st and second shift too quickly? You'll get some bucking and a clunk if you do. Try to ride the clutch out a bit ; but not too much. You don't want unnecessary wear,if you know what I mean.

As an aside , these trannys/ linkage need some operating time to shift smoothly. What I mean by that is it seems to need 4 or 5 miles of reasonably easy driving before the gear changes 1st to second and second to third go in nice and smooth .

Good Luck !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
Sothpaw said:
Just got into my brand new 08 Bullitt on Friday. Absolutely love it. However, today while driving I noticed there's a pretty loud clunk while shifting into second. Doesn't seem to happen while I shift into any other gears. Not sure if it's because of my shoddy driving, newness of the car, or a legit prob with the car.
Thanks for any help in advance.
AL, mine did the same thing when I first got it. Five miles were on the odometer. As you guessed, it is most likely a combination of newness and you 'bonding,' as it were, with your new Bullitt.

If, however, it continues and/or does it all of the time, then it's time to contact your dealer's service department.

Good luck and keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Hydraulic clutches can sometimes be a bit like an on-off switch. Drive it more, get used to it, and I think it will go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. My plan of attack is to release the clutch a little slower, and get used to driving it. If it continues to persist down the road, I'll contact the service dept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
Sothpaw said:
Thanks for the advice. My plan of attack is to release the clutch a little slower, and get used to driving it. If it continues to persist down the road, I'll contact the service dept.

The Bullit was my first stick shift car. In the first couple of months of driving I used to hear a clank all the time when I shifted from 1-2. I had to get used to releasing clutch into 2nd a little more slowly than the other gears and now I don't hear it anymore. I always worried too much about clutch wear, but now I have chosen to wear out only that part instead of all of them. :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
wabirch said:
AL
Driving more and more was my cure. I experienced this and learned to keep the rpm a bit higher.
Yes, I have also experienced that the driveline gets real clunky at low RPM. If you let the clutch out too fast or at too low RPM it gets noisy. I guess it partly has to do with the 2-piece driveshaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Zeke Thanks

Sothpaw
If you have been driving Japanese like me its a night and day deference. The Mustang is the night version.
Its a tough little trany and ya she don't want to click in to gears. Take your time with her and during break in. Short shifting when the engine temp is cold, under 3k (thats max). As the temp increases move to newer limits, 4 5k. At running temp its playtime!The engine will hold rpm 1st thru 3rd at next to red line. 2 finger pull, palm push rhythm. Slow and almost like the movie (no double clutching LOL)but firm!
I don't know if everyone does this but I do belive in red lining every once in a while. The car is rock solid. The drive trane is built for alot more power so compaired to other cars were driving a truck.
To compaire my wife has a 2008 WRX and there is no feed back. Its so game like to drive. Toggle switch clutch, gear box(click click) and the stearing is so dead no feed back! But throw it sidways in the snow and weeeeewhooo you can't screw this thing up,just point and shoot!
Yet I love my Bullitt! Its a mans car! I autocross in the summer and man shes fun to drive. Over 6k on the OD an not one issue! Ford built tough, Quality #1!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
pylonracer said:
Zeke Thanks

Sothpaw
If you have been driving Japanese like me its a night and day deference. The Mustang is the night version.
Its a tough little trany and ya she don't want to click in to gears. Take your time with her and during break in. Short shifting when the engine temp is cold, under 3k (thats max). As the temp increases move to newer limits, 4 5k. At running temp its playtime!The engine will hold rpm 1st thru 3rd at next to red line. 2 finger pull, palm push rhythm. Slow and almost like the movie (no double clutching LOL)but firm!
I don't know if everyone does this but I do belive in red lining every once in a while. The car is rock solid. The drive trane is built for alot more power so compaired to other cars were driving a truck.
To compaire my wife has a 2008 WRX and there is no feed back. Its so game like to drive. Toggle switch clutch, gear box(click click) and the stearing is so dead no feed back! But throw it sidways in the snow and weeeeewhooo you can't screw this thing up,just point and shoot!
Yet I love my Bullitt! Its a mans car! I autocross in the summer and man shes fun to drive. Over 6k on the OD an not one issue! Ford built tough, Quality #1!
"De nada", Frank!

You explained everything very well!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
gesner said:
Wow, 2 finger-pull, palm, push....Nice description. For a minute I thought I was on the wrong web-site:goodvibe:

 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top