Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my GT to the dealer so that It can be documented that my car is making the infamous 3,000 rpm cold rattle. I would like all who have had their Bullitts, GT's in for service due to the cold rattle to state dealer name etc., what the Ford techs told you about the noise, whats causing it, and possible fixes. This will help me out greatly at the dealership and they can see that I am not the only one with this problem. I appreciate all your help guys. Thank you !

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since they are not going to do anything about it (and you shouldn't let them until the solution is well known), just state the facts, get them to write it up, get a copy of the work order, and let them verify the sound. They'll probably say it's normal, etc., which is fine. Get it in writing.

I also told them not to do any work on the car without contacting me first for authorization.

Sounds like from Dennis's post that Ford is stating that this condition is normal (as Piston Slap), and by implication that no abnormal wear will result. Until there is evidence of abnormal wear, this problem will have to be classified as annoying. However, if it can be shown that the sound substantially reduces the use, value, or safety of the car, you could argue for a buyback (it's up to an arbitrator; they won't care if "they all do it", they'll decide if the car has been devalued, etc., as most cars do NOT make this noise).

If you really like the car and feel that when it comes time to sell it the noise won't devalue the car, then you have no worries.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrivingSimulators on 2002-01-29 21:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
198 Posts
Allright i'll try to condendse my dealings with this:

Sanderson Ford, Glendale Az:

Diagnosed defective engine. Checked Torque specs on all valvetrain related items and the dampner. Removed belt, noise still present. Replaced engine on advice of Tech hotline.

Noise not fixed.

Berge Ford, Mesa Az:

Shop Foreman and Service manager, after riding in two new Gt's on the lot, heard the noise and concluded piston slap. They were adamant that it is piston slap and that the motor NEVER should've been replaced. I asked them repeatedly if they thought it could be detonation (which i really think it is and i'm quite the experienced "tech" myself) and they wouldn't rule it out but stood their ground on piston slap (due to a deliberate design procedure).

Service manager spoke with a field engineer and the Field Engineer confirmed piston slap.

Received ext warranty also. Free of charge and without asking.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Had a '00 F150 with the 5.4L that was sacrificed for True Blue #570. When cold outside (I'm in Minnesota) my F150 would rattle slightly under load reaching highway speed until the temp gauge started to move. I've noticed the same exact sound (only less so) with #570 when not properly warmed up and not keeping the R's down. Sure sounds like piston slap to me. I run Mobil 5W-30, let it heat up, and will see what happens.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone else ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Theodore Robins Ford in Costa Mesa, CA said they couldn't reproduce the noise. They're full of crap though. It's kinda hard to miss.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bizump !

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'll get my video camera out and make another recording. I can then take the camera and some headphones to the dealer and they can watch and listen without spending time driving it.

When I've made the recording, I'll post a link to the audio if anyone is interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts