Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided im done with drag racing for a while, and the call of hard turns and dips is calling. The plan was for 4:10.1 Rear gears but there is no need for them now.

My question is for a R&T car what would be the best rear gear ratio.
-stock 3:27.1
-3:55.1
-3:73.1

·
Car Whisperer
20,777 Posts
Can't say for certain for the twisties which is best, but I have the 3.73's in mine and am very happy with it since I do some interstate travel with it....like the Nats coming up!!!!! I doubt you would notice a whole lot of difference going to 3.55's.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what i figured, i just remember someone a little while back saying 3:55.1s would be good for track use, but i want that little but of extra with the 3:73.1s but not sure if its worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Yeah thats what i figured, i just remember someone a little while back saying 3:55.1s would be good for track use, but i want that little but of extra with the 3:73.1s but not sure if its worth it.
The 3:73 is worth it..my 2 cents...ok...

bring a lot of doe:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Go with 3.73's they will get u out of the corners faster but want b ass harsh as the 4.10's. I have a buddy who is a American Iron racer and he uses 3.73's and has been very succesful.....my .02

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much rwhp is your buddies car runnin? I forgot to mention that I want 600 the rear wheels, yes yes its a lot for an R&T car but it'll make things more challenging.

OGBATMAN said:
Go with 3.73's they will get u out of the corners faster but want b ass harsh as the 4.10's. I have a buddy who is a American Iron racer and he uses 3.73's and has been very succesful.....my .02

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Honestly I doubt you'll feel a significant "seat-o-the pants" difference between 3.55's and 3.73's. Id say 3.73's are probably your best all round gear. I had 3.55's on my fox and I wish I went with more, Like 4.30's more but I was setting it up for the strip. So to end this babbling, In my opinion I think you would be plenty happy with 3.73's. Just make sure you have a good shop install them, theres nothing more annoying then noisy gears.

·
Registered
967 Posts
dont mean to jack this thread or anything but how much do the 3.73's affect your gas mileage?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DHG #1078 said:
dont mean to jack this thread or anything but how much do the 3.73's affect your gas mileage?
Don't worry about it. It all depends on what mods your allready running. but not much usually, some people have even seen an increase in MPG.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
DHG #1078 said:
1st...let me say...best all around performance mod....kinda like adding 50 hp
my in town miles per gal...20-21...on the road..bout 19..but..i was running 75+.

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
DHG #1078 said:
3230 actually got better freeway mpg with 3:73's than it did stock.
With the 4:10's now, I lost some....but not significant.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the right gear set will really change depending on the track. but best overall will be either the 3.55 or 3.73. i'd go 3.73 though. they can at least compensate a little more for the bullitt's relative lack of grunt coming out of tight corners.

·
Registered
370 Posts
All I know is that 3:73's really woke up my Bullitt....my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
how much rwhp is your buddies car runnin? I forgot to mention that I want 600 the rear wheels, yes yes its a lot for an R&T car but it'll make things more challenging.
That is alot but u have to rememeber R&T is won by a good balance n TQ and HP. My friend out ran a guy with 500rwhp and he is only pushing 440rwhp because he was able to get thru the corners faster. Because his real power and TQ was n the lower RPM's where it counts pluse he has one of the best suspension set ups n the world.

Here is an article about his car:
http://www.brothersperformance.com/newsletter/2006/aix-roco.php

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
luke partridge said:
the right gear set will really change depending on the track. but best overall will be either the 3.55 or 3.73. i'd go 3.73 though. they can at least compensate a little more for the bullitt's relative lack of grunt coming out of tight corners.
thats where i wassnt sure about 3:73.1s or 3:55.1s since im allready pushing 420rwtq the grunt through corners has gone from me :lol: but i guess ill be going with 3:73s anyway

OGBATMAN said:
That is alot but u have to rememeber R&T is won by a good balance n TQ and HP. My friend out ran a guy with 500rwhp and he is only pushing 440rwhp because he was able to get thru the corners faster. Because his real power and TQ was n the lower RPM's where it counts pluse he has one of the best suspension set ups n the world.

Here is an article about his car:
http://www.brothersperformance.com/newsletter/2006/aix-roco.php
oh yeah most definetly, i plan on keeping my tq and hp relativly close. also 01633 isnt going to be just a race car, ill still drive it one the street and stuff so im not worried about being the fastest, but just having fun. and like i said, 600rwhp will make things more fun and challenging to tame it. im allready pushing 410rwhp on my vortech, so 440 isnt that far away. also my suspention is going to be done up quite nice once i can afford all this lol.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
thats where i wassnt sure about 3:73.1s or 3:55.1s since im allready pushing 420rwtq the grunt through corners has gone from me :lol: but i guess ill be going with 3:73s anyway

oh yeah most definetly, i plan on keeping my tq and hp relativly close. also 01633 isnt going to be just a race car, ill still drive it one the street and stuff so im not worried about being the fastest, but just having fun. and like i said, 600rwhp will make things more fun and challenging to tame it. im allready pushing 410rwhp on my vortech, so 440 isnt that far away. also my suspention is going to be done up quite nice once i can afford all this lol.
Ur right if u can keep the RPM's n a good range to rocket u out of the corner at a controled speed u will b very hard to keep up with, Unless u plan to drift:lol:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OGBATMAN said:
Ur right if u can keep the RPM's n a good range to rocket u out of the corner at a controled speed u will b very hard to keep up with, Unless u plan to drift:lol:
Hey if the back end goes out, some corners may be drifting while others griping :badgrin:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Hey if the back end goes out, some corners may be drifting while others griping :badgrin:
Oh I c ur going to b nasty on the track.:eek:

·
Registered
258 Posts
if you have that much overall power, you may actually want to consider 3.55's. if corner exit isn't going to be a problem, you may want more high speed legs before rpm cutoff. 3.73's will max out 4th gear on a really long straight, but are fine for shorter courses.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I agree the 3.73's are great to get the jump out of the corners. I run Open Track in my Bullitt, the 3.73's fit my application perfect on the 2 mile courses around here. If you plan on running on tracks with 3/4 mile and longer straights you may want to consider 3.55's. I've ran on a 3/4 straight before and tached out 4th at 132 mph.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts