Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my 3.73 gears installed. What a difference. As others have said, it really wakes up the car. I find the 3.73 gear to be perfect for RPM levels in city and highway driving. With the 3.27 gears I would have to be going over 70 mph to really use 5th gear.

I also got Steeda X-1 ball joints and the Steeda bumpsteer kit installed. That also made a huge difference as far as handling.

Now I just have to take it easy for a few hundred miles before I really get to test the new gears.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
petez said:
Just got my 3.73 gears installed. What a difference. As others have said, it really wakes up the car. I find the 3.73 gear to be perfect for RPM levels in city and highway driving. With the 3.27 gears I would have to going over 70 mph to really use 5th gear.

I also got Steeda X-1 ball joints and the Steeda bumpsteer kit installed. That also made a huge difference as far as handling.

Now I just have to take it easy for a few hundred miles before I really get to test the new gears.
Pete,

Congrats on the New 3:73 Gears ..........

·
Registered
421 Posts
As soon as mine came off the lift, I dropped the clutch and flew. Gears don't need a break-in period-(coming from a shop that has put in hundreds of gears). At least the FRPP ones don't. I guess there is a process during making them that breaks them in. Go out and have fun!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahah. I had read that you should go easy on them for the first 100-200 miles or so. Is that NOT the case?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had 5.38's put in my F350 4x4 front and rear and they install shop said to cruise for about 200-300 before towing anything. I guess they heat up pretty good, so breaking them in sounds like a good idea and good insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Do what you want. I raced right after I got the 3.73s in and I have had them for over a year, no problems at all. If you're scared you'll break those giant forged pieces of metal then go easy on it, but the way I see it, every mile on my Bullitt counts so I figured I'd just say what I did..

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
mine were installed by a ford mechanic and he has been doing trannys and rear ends for over 15 years and he.....drive it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
gears

did you install them? I would go easy on them for the first 1 to 200 miles how much did the install cost did you rebuild the clutch pack? did you put new weel bearings in?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it, so it is safe to go have some fun then :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
This issue has been debated many times over the years. I inquired to few guys I have come to really trust over the years, and they ALL said you should not hammer the gears until ~400+ miles (mileage recommendations ranged from 300 to 500). It was also strongly recommended to change the fluid at that mileage as well. Unless you only drive your car 1000 miles per year, what can it hurt to play it safe and let them break in a little.

Good luck and enjoy the gears!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Today i stopped in a "shop" and they quote me $1200.00. FRPP 3.73 with full bearing kit,axle girdle
out the the door ready to go. After he said 1200.00 i was out the door. 149.99-gear,axle girdle-189.99,Ford Racing M-4210-C 109.99(8.8" Ring and Pinion Installation Kit). So far $450.00 in parts not including tax,labor,Synthetic oil and the calibration of the speed odometer. Even if i left off the girdle I'm still at 1000.00.
I'm obvious going to keep on looking but DAMMMMM. If anyone knows a shop in the Chicago land area please let me know.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
xtowrk said:
Today i stopped in a "shop" and they quote me $1200.00. FRPP 3.73 with full bearing kit,axle girdle
out the the door ready to go. After he said 1200.00 i was out the door. 149.99-gear,axle girdle-189.99,Ford Racing M-4210-C 109.99(8.8" Ring and Pinion Installation Kit). So far $450.00 in parts not including tax,labor,Synthetic oil and the calibration of the speed odometer. Even if i left off the girdle I'm still at 1000.00.
I'm obvious going to keep on looking but DAMMMMM. If anyone knows a shop in the Chicago land area please let me know.

I know High Speed in mokena does gears they do good work. You could buy the parts alittle at a time and have someone do it instead of all at once. 1200 is alot to spend at once.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
petez said:
Got it, so it is safe to go have some fun then :)
Well,you could drive on down I-95 South,to VMP, 30 miles South of Richmond,and join me and my neighbor,as we run the Mustangs,on opening Test&Tune, this Saturday!
That would put some miles on them,and give you some fun also!
Great mod,Pete!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Mus408 said:
Well,you could drive on down I-95 South,to VMP, 30 miles South of Richmond,and join me and my neighbor,as we run the Mustangs,on opening Test&Tune, this Saturday!
Great mod,Pete!
If I had known you were going this weekend, I would have driven up there :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
gears

Hi I want to back track alittle ,I did some rearsearch (miss spelling dilabrat) on the 8.8 I went to coral. net and found that the rear end is ok! with a little work the axel tubes need to be welded up (or a swar bar installed as they are only welded on the inside) the stock carrier leavs some weakness(its stock not ment for lots of tq.) and the axels are weak, Mosure 31 spline are their axel of choice wich also means a carrier swap, I an not sure about c clips if we have them but if they do I will try to find a c clip elimeter kit(that way if you break an axel the hole weel does not go( as you proly seen on pinks I know you watch it for all the great mustang weelys by the hay your first weely in a car is a very scary exp.) but after all that then you have u-joints and our great tranny. TKS Mark "aka" Mr do it your self! Tks Mike!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Mus408 said:
Great mod,Pete!
I see that you have updated your sig w/ a 13.19ET. Congrats on the improvement!!! What have you changed that helped you drop the .21 seconds from before??? My showdown run against my buddy and his G8 GT is heating up, and now I am considering a swap from my 3.73s to 4:10s. How much can I expect that swap to improve my ET w/ regular street tires???

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
xtowrk said:
I took my FR Gears, install Kit and FR Alum drive shaft I got from Summit racing to the local Ford Dealer and had them installed for $200.00..... I trusted them to do it because they do a bunch of new F250 and 350s for framers and trailer towing retirees....

Check out some country Ford Dealer cheap prices and the correct skills to do the job

1 - 18 of 18 Posts