Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Where should I buy 3.73 gears? My Ford Dealer? What is the part number? If I can't get them at the dealer where should I purchase them, mail order? Any particular brand better than the others?

2. What is the approximate cost?

3. What weight gear oil is called for? (I am thinking of going synthetic here)

4. What tools are required?

Thanks!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Rear gear sets should run about $180-$190. 80-90 weight oil is normal, but many posi's require an additive. Redline makes a good synthetic, but I don't know what weight. Lots of tools are necessary to replace a ring & pinion, as well as new shims, seals, bearings & races. I assume you'll have someone else do the work. I would suggest your dealership & ensure your warranty isn't affected

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was thinking of having my work mechanic put them in. Not sure if dealers here in California would be willing to put in gears on pollution controlled cars.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked it up. The rear end requires 75w-140 synthetic and 4 oz of an additive friction modifier C8AZ-19B546-A.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If you're having someone other than the dealer install them I would buy them from www.speedworx.com

As for dealer installed gears salvaging that part of your warranty, not gonna happen. FRPP sells the gears which have a "for racing only" disclaimer. No matter who installs them Ford will not cover those gears unless the dealership doesn't know they were changed.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called 3 local Ford dealers here in SoCal and none would install 3.73 gears for me because it would void the warranty which they are not allowed to do.

Now I need to find a shop somewhere to do it for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BC on 2001-10-16 08:12 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts