Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a bullitt with ford motorsport 3:73 gears.They seem to make some noise,is this normal?I don't think it's the trans.It doesn't howl like the gears are going bad,it just makes a little gear noise.Any answers?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I don't think you should have any difference in noise. Mine didn't. It should all sound the same regardless of the ratio...I would think. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

You say you just bought it and the gears were already in it? Are you sure the noise is not regular mustang noise? Does your car have an after market shifter in it? They can be known to transmit some transmission noise into the cabin.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Some gears make noise in a specific speed range,like 40-50 MPH at light load. The Ford Motorsport gears,3.73,I used do that,but it isn't that bad. Just dependes on who the vendor is that made the gears. Some are noiser than others.
Also,remember Ford had the "monkey nuts" bolted to the factory rear end housing to absorb noise and vibration. A lot of people removed those.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have 3:73s and the sound did not change. I have Ford Racing but I have heard that some brands do make a little noise. I have heard this about Richmond and I seem to remember reading somewhere it was because of the "deep cut." I may be totally off on this.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If the gears were installed correctly then they should not make noise. The only exception I have ever heard of was richmond.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not even sure if it is the rear end.Somebody said something about shifters,this one has a Tri-ax.This noise is always present.Starts at about 5 or 10 mph and continues,doesn't really get louder , just seems to speed up as the car does.My other mustang is an automatic 2001 GT,totally different animal!I really don't think this is a gear problem because I've had cars with with rear ends that howl and they did not sound like this.Every body confused yet???!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts