Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post what I did to get rid of 3 annoying rattles. I have one left but ran out of time.

I had metal-on-plastic noices coming from both doors at seeming random times. This turned out to be the trim piece behind the interior door handles. It's a roughly 2x3" piece of plastic that covers a screw. I pried it off by using the key to get behind it on the door hinge side because I was too lazy to get a screwdriver. I think I was holding the handle in the open position while doing this. I simply coated them with two even coats of electrical tape on the back side and put it back in. The tape took up enough slack to make it fit snugger and padded it. Easy.

The other very annoying rattle was from the ebrake when I hit about 3500k under hard acceleration, menaing basically all the time. This started after I installed my MGW shifter. I think I may not have snapped the covers back together completely. Anyway, I removed the console, took the plastic halves off the ebrake handle, and padded them where the MGW install video said to. Check the MGW site, play the install video and it's at about 4:30. Put it back together and the rattle is gone. Ahhh much better.

Still have the slight rattle coming from the right rear. I think I've narrowed that to the plastic above the seat but below the roof around the rear window. I'll try jamming something in there to test that theory when I have a chance, but the other ones were much more annoying so I'm pretty happy.

Hope this helps someone else some day.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
THANK YOU! I will be fixing my door handle rattle this weekend!

Cheers!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had a similar problem with the torx head screw on the passenger side behind the plastic piece. It tightened right up and has been quiet since.

·
Registered
121 Posts
6t6Mustang said:
The other very annoying rattle was from the ebrake when I hit about 3500k under hard acceleration, menaing basically all the time.
This should be your signature :)

thanks for the how to's!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had a similar experience with rattles. I have eliminated all of them except for the rattle from the passenger rear seat area of the car. I spent 3 hours taking interior panels off, going for a spin around the block to verify if the noise was still there. I thought it was conquered but didn't in the end.

We probably have the same rattle, let us know what you come up with!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Passenger Door Rattle

Had a rattle from behind the passenger door handle since new. Popped off the small plastic trim piece with a screw driver and tightened the torx bolt. Rattle is gone!

Greg Sauter
08 Bullitt #3895
:dhg08:

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
464 Posts
All of these comments about rattles? Ford has always been one of the best for quiet interiors. I will be paying attention for this.

Jason

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have noticed a rattle on the passenger side dash near the windshield. Only happens when it gets hot inside due to expansion. As soon as it cools down seems to go away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Darn! Rattle is back, and now the driver's side occasionally too. Guess I'll try the tape fix on the plastic trim.

gregsauter said:
Had a rattle from behind the passenger door handle since new. Popped off the small plastic trim piece with a screw driver and tightened the torx bolt. Rattle is gone!

Greg Sauter
08 Bullitt #3895

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I used a tiny dab of weather strip putty stuff. I slid the plastic piece as far to one side as it would go to open the gap along the edge and jammed the tiny dab of putty in there, then closed the gap and cleaned up the excess that squeezed out. It just kinda holds the piece in place enough to stop the rattle, but I can still disassemble it if I had to.

I also had a rattle coming from my dash at the top of the front piece right between the two clusters. It was actually really difficult to find where the rattle was coming from. It happened very rarely, and I had a hard time reproducing it. I actually thought it was coming from the top of the dash. When I finally found it, I simply removed the front piece and added a bit of double-sided tape. Rattle gone.

Now that I've installed my dual exhaust, I've got a few new very isolated rattles that I may look into. It may just be that I'm hyper-aware of what Trigger sounds like now though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Still have the slight rattle coming from the right rear. I think I've narrowed that to the plastic above the seat but below the roof around the rear window. I'll try jamming something in there to test that theory when I have a chance, but the other ones were much more annoying so I'm pretty happy.

Hope this helps someone else some day.[/QUOTE]
Did you ever fix this rattle? I have the same one I think and I can not find it, I think it comes from the plastic too, but I also notice that the rear speker on that side is loose.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
I had a loud annoying noise that would occur when I exceeded the posted speed limit. AND it some how used to follow me from car to car????

Removed and replaced spouse and it seems to be ok now.

·
Registered
761 Posts
When I switch the heat from floor to vent/def and driving over uneven pavement will normally bring out the

During last summer I had my tech to fix a similar problem when it would get really hot inside the car. Never happened until it got hot. In fact once it would not do it while at the dealer so I cranked up the heat and it started making the sound.

He placed a piece of felt tape and it went away, so I am guessing there is an area that may need it as well.

There is a TSB for it as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, I had forgotten all about it until it started up again. It's pretty sporadic for me. Next time it happens with my daughter back there I'll have her track it down.

08 bullit said:

Did you ever fix this rattle? I have the same one I think and I can not find it, I think it comes from the plastic too, but I also notice that the rear speker on that side is loose.[/quote]

·
Registered
934 Posts
08 bullit said:

David

Keep us posted on this. I have the same rattle. I only notice it when I first drive the car - it seems like once the interior heats up and expands that it goes away. I haven't tried to fix it as I don't think I could convince the wife to drive it while I sat in the back and tried to "pinpoint" it. Maybe I should ask Larr'y ex ............ :lol:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,321 Posts
If you have a baby and all else fails, look for this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gregsauter said:
Darn! Rattle is back, and now the driver's side occasionally too. Guess I'll try the tape fix on the plastic trim.
Removed both trim pieces and slipped a piece of felt behind them. Rattle is gone again.
Greg Sauter
08 Bullitt #3895

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had the tsb done a while back. The problem I am having seems to be in the material itself. Whenever the temp gets hot outside as soon as I start to drive I hear a creak somewhere in the dash area which goes away as soon as the interior temp cools down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts