Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think it is time I get my B over to my mechanic to do it's 30,000 miles maintenance that Ford recommends. I just brought #344 out for the spring/summer fun and noticed it has a little over 33,000 miles on it now and has never been maintained engine wise. Should I have any fluids changed while I am at it?

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Assuming you change your oil and filter regularly? If the transmission and differential fluids are original, 20 years is a long time. What's involved in the 30K service?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Brake fluid flush and fill.
Flush and fill cooling system with new coolant and distilled water.
Check your serpentine belt, might even consider changing it.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
WOW! 20 year old Bullitt with just 33k miles. You have to go beyond the Ford 30k recommendations for a new car and get into PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, to reduce the potential for oem parts failure.
Total fluid changes of brake, oil, cooling, tranny, diff and power steering fluids.
Replace oil, tranny, air and fuel filters.
Cooling and heater hoses. Go with silicone hoses if available. Replace the infamous plastic 3 way junction of the heating/cooling hoses with a brass coupling, which will last forever.
Replace the Brake lines, from the oem rubber to braided metal lines. Will last a very long time. Also check the brake pad's condition. Pads age out even though they have material left. Check the caliper piston seals.
Yes to sepertine belt replacement. Sucks if 20 year old belt breaks on a roadtrip to Boise Nats.
Have your mechanic inspect all the suspension bushings. The rubber will be aging out. Also close inspection of the driveshaft U joints. Again aging out.
Monitor the Bullitt's parking spot for fluid spots, which indicate seal leaking.
With the 20 year old Bullitt, you have be in the preventive maintenance mindset, beyond just the mileage.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! 20 year old Bullitt with just 33k miles. You have to go beyond the Ford 30k recommendations for a new car and get into PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, to reduce the potential for oem parts failure.
Total fluid changes of brake, oil, cooling, tranny, diff and power steering fluids.
Replace oil, tranny, air and fuel filters.
Cooling and heater hoses. Go with silicone hoses if available. Replace the infamous plastic 3 way junction of the heating/cooling hoses with a brass coupling, which will last forever.
Replace the Brake lines, from the oem rubber to braided metal lines. Will last a very long time. Also check the brake pad's condition. Pads age out even though they have material left. Check the caliper piston seals.
Yes to sepertine belt replacement. Sucks if 20 year old belt breaks on a roadtrip to Boise Nats.
Have your mechanic inspect all the suspension bushings. The rubber will be aging out. Also close inspection of the driveshaft U joints. Again aging out.
Monitor the Bullitt's parking spot for fluid spots, which indicate seal leaking.
With the 20 year old Bullitt, you have be in the preventive maintenance mindset, beyond just the mileage.
Thank you everyone. I had no idea. I guess I will need to sell stuff to pay for this here maintenance! :oops:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything else? As most of you know, I lost my husband to COPD 14 months ago and he took well care of my Bullitt. Now it is up to me. I will hire a detailer that is a friend as it has not been waxed/polished for a couple of years and needs it too. It's a shame though, as I have his double head polisher/buffer and pads and excellent "Cherry Wet Wax" that was his favorite. I don't dare attempt to use his buffer. o_O I would probably do more damage than good! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Check your car files and see what was done over the years?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, Vicki. I somehow missed that news in a previous post. He kept the car looking great and I'm sure he'd be honored to know you're picking up where he left off. Similar to the other posts, fluid changes will go a LONG way in preventing future, more costly problems. Fresh brake fluid and coolant, in particular, will help corrosion from occurring within the systems. Thankfully, fluid changes aren't excessively costly due to the short duration of time needed to complete them. If necessary, you could always stagger the maintenance to reduce costs from occurring all at one time. In my opinion, I'd suggest oil (if it hasn't been changed recently), coolant, and brake fluid first. The other fluids should be changed as well given their age, but they're less likely to cause problems comparatively speaking. Good luck and let us know how the maintenance goes.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, Vicki. I somehow missed that news in a previous post. He kept the car looking great and I'm sure he'd be honored to know you're picking up where he left off. Similar to the other posts, fluid changes will go a LONG way in preventing future, more costly problems. Fresh brake fluid and coolant, in particular, will help corrosion from occurring within the systems. Thankfully, fluid changes aren't excessively costly due to the short duration of time needed to complete them. If necessary, you could always stagger the maintenance to reduce costs from occurring all at one time. In my opinion, I'd suggest oil (if it hasn't been changed recently), coolant, and brake fluid first. The other fluids should be changed as well given their age, but they're less likely to cause problems comparatively speaking. Good luck and let us know how the maintenance goes.
That is my plan! Thank you guys for your support. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'll chime in as a fellow original owner/orderer with 52,500 on my TB. I just took mine out of storage last week & spent the past few days doing some maintenance. While I completely agree with everyone's comments on fluids & filters, I'll point out I'm still on the original hoses/radiators, brake lines/rotors/calipers (though I do swap out for EBC rotors & PF pads when I race), suspension components, CoPs and, cherry-on-top, I still have the original AC charge (which blows cool-ish). I wouldn't sweat any of that other stuff until you know it needs replacing - just focus on the fluids.

Also, my condolences on your loss - I, too, must've missed that in previous posts.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll chime in as a fellow original owner/orderer with 52,500 on my TB. I just took mine out of storage last week & spent the past few days doing some maintenance. While I completely agree with everyone's comments on fluids & filters, I'll point out I'm still on the original hoses/radiators, brake lines/rotors/calipers (though I do swap out for EBC rotors & PF pads when I race), suspension components, CoPs and, cherry-on-top, I still have the original AC charge (which blows cool-ish). I wouldn't sweat any of that other stuff until you know it needs replacing - just focus on the fluids.

Also, my condolences on your loss - I, too, must've missed that in previous posts.
Thank you for your input and condolences.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my mechanic had my Bullitt for a maintenance check for a day of service. He checked everything and changed all the fluids. He said the radiator fluid (stock) was just on the line of needing changed. He switched out the serpentine belt, put in my usual synthetic 5w/20 oil and new filter, new tranny fluid, new brake fluid, new differential fluid, flushed the brake system, new power steering fluid, and cleaned the brakes. He also added washer fluid and gave me new wiper blades as the old ones were splitting. He said all hoses and belts were good.

All said and done, the parts were $378 and labor was $715. So I guess I am good to go to Boise for the Nats in August!

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Congratulations, you are now a member of the Preventive Maintenance club! You now have a baseline for almost all fluids. Sounds like you have a good mechanic, hard to find.
Now you monitor the driveway for fluid spots and open the engine hood looking for fluid weeps on seals on that nice clean motor. Build up a side savings for Preventative Maintenance parts replacement before total failure based on your mechanic's recommendations and the experience of other 01 Bullitt drivers.
ROADTRIP to Boise! See you there!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do, and thanks! My mechanic did say that there was a very small leak of oil around the pan but figures that is because it sat/sits so long over the fall and winter months here. There have not been any leakages onto the garage floor [yet.]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts