Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Please tell me this is on a track car. If it is, then yeah it's a great place to remove weight and typically you won't need it anyway. If the car sees the street at all I personally would find a safer solution.

The front bumper is the only think stopping a 5mph crash from being a $10k repair.

I am not trying to dis your mod, just saying be careful.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is this going to be driven on the street? If so, I'd put the bumper back on but that's just me. 40lbs of weight isn't going to buy you all that much. I'd do a rear seat AND AC delete before I ditched the bumpers. Now if this was only going to be a track car then I'd gut it BUT that'd be a waste of a perfectly good Bullitt. YMMV.

Mark

·
Registered
243 Posts
Obviously, we are all free to voice our own opinions and suggestions here.... but personally, I would strongly recommend not doing this. The styrofoam absorber is in there for a reason. Actually, it's in there for a number of reasons. I can't imagine the amount of weight reduced by removing the absorber will increase performance in any vehicle. Normally I wouldn't put down any ideas here, but being in the collision business I felt it was necessary to voice my own opinion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I must have read the original post too fast. I missed the part about removing the impact bar....... the "IMPACT BAR". Three words : DON'T DO IT.

·
Registered
269 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-04 18:02, llama_boy wrote:
I agree that the 40 lbs prolly dosn't warant the safety comprimise on the street. I don't agree that gutting a Bullitt to be used for only the track is a waste. If someone were to buy a Bullitt, paint it pink, and put a whale tail on it, that would be a waste. If someone were to gut it and make a 10 second Bullitt that would just about anything but a waste. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey Llama_boy,

Trust me, what I had in mind would be a waste! This is only an opinion but if I were to build a track-only car, I wouldn't start with a Bullitt. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Be safe.

Mark

BLACK #5434 - Steeda Triax & Pullies & T/A, JBA shorties, Magnaflow X w/cats & cat-back, Alum. Driveshaft, 80mm C&L MAF w/K&N, MAFterburnerTM - 254.0rwhp/ 298.1rwtq SAE (CF=0.96)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2002-01-30 15:32 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
They have made these bumper structures lighter over the years. I don't plan on doing this mod on my Bullitt. However,14 yrs.ago,I did this exact thing on my 85 LX,and saved 100 lbs. removing the front and rear. These things then,resembled heavy sections of guard rail! Of course the 85 sees limited street use.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sorry guys but I just can't go along with taking off a safety item so you can go faster and strike an object with less safety.
Just ask Nasty Bob about what a front end collison will do to a Bullitt. I know what you are talking about when you say it can be undone but possibly too late. What about insurance problems, legal problems and last of all warranty problems.
And then, what about some other poor, unsuspecting person driving or buying the car sans proper safety in the front end. Can you imagine the legal problems?
I can't believe this was even considered. If you want to lose 40 pounds, then do as someone else here said.... delete the A/C or radio or a bunch of other non-essential things but don't screw with the car's safety.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
glad you lost the lbs, but dont find it to safe. Good thing is if its only a 45 min job, do it at the track

·
Registered
53 Posts
like most of us here coudn't ya just loose 30 to 40 lbs by not drinking or eating so much. i guess that's what i'm getting out of it. people tell me that it's not always the car but the driver who's behind the wheel. don't think this realy makes that point. as for the is this safe. no, but is driving behind a car full of kids not in seatbelts safe? if your wanting to do it keep it on the track. this is not a dis on your mod, i think it's cool that you would try to come up w/ something that would take guts to try. i sure wouldn't be able to do it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Me, I'm looking at the Kenny Brown tubular K-frame front end. Saves 40#'s and extends the wheelbase 1". Anyone think it might be worth it? Mine is a daily driver and looking like an ocaissional run down the track...Very ocaissional.......

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
My God, Nasty, you're bringing tears to my eyes. :cry: At least your son is alright and you got a replacement for your car.

Greg

·
Registered
163 Posts
if you wanna lose 30 to 40 pounds then go on a diet quit drinking beer ... LOL Dont kill yourself over some weight that can be made up for a with a mod or two ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts