Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a little experiment. Rather than drive my usual 65-70 mph all the way to work (48 miles round trip, 45 or so on the highway), I decided to just move with traffic in the right lane, which typically goes about 60. And then I even took this one step further and limited myself to about 60. The speed limit is 55 for about half the trip and 65 for the other half. The other thing I decided to change was my habit of topping up the tank after the gas pump shut off.

Well, I measured this for about three tanks now, and I am getting just a hair over or a hair under 30 MPG! This shocked me, because I was getting 22-24 before--so this is at least a 25% improvement.

One of my co-workers told me that he could "hear my carbon footprint stomping the ground" whenever I cranked the GT up outside his office in the afternoon. I told him what kind of mileage I was getting, and his jaw just about dropped. He has a small Honda SUV and I have no doubt that I am getting better mpg, at least on the highway (around town is probably another story).

Before you cry "sacrilege" for my driving such a magnificent automobile at or under the speed limit, let me point out the following.

1) If I were to ride in the left lane, there is a lot of speeding and slowing, so it's not like I could really go 65-70 for more than a mile or so at a time, and I would be hitting the brakes a lot more.

2) My commute crawls with cops at times, so it's hardly worth speeding

3) I am the sole breadwinner in our family of four, so anything I can do helps save our gas budget (and as a bonus keeps me safer for the sake of the wife and my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son)

4) I commute during rush hour so traffic doesn't really go that much faster anyway (plus enough people are soft-pedaling to save gas that I am not alone).

5) I am keeping the Mustang and am not stuck behind the wheel of some anonymous econobox (which don't get me wrong I would love to have as a commuter, but I only have space for the two cars we already have, one of which is our family sedan)

I should also point out that my car now has 113,000 miles on it. And runs like a champ. Not a Bullitt, but close enough.

Anyhow, I thought some of you highway drivers who are shocked at the recent gas prices might benefit from my experience. It really works!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Very nice mileage!

00Wannabe said:
Before you cry "sacrilege" for my driving such a magnificent automobile at or under the speed limit, .....
That I will not cry "sacrilege" about, but......

00Wannabe said:
Not a Bullitt, but close enough.
...this I will not stand for!!!!!!

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I love your style and you do not have to justify why you do something,
If it works for you then just do it.

Next any tips on how I can get better than about 10 out of mine and I am talking UK big gallons not
4L US gallons?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I've done similar driving habits with the Contour SVT, but I've slowed down from 70-73mph to 66-68 mph...Gas mileage went up from 24-25 mpg to 26-27.....Plus, I HAVE to use PREMIUM!!!!!!!!I drive round trip seventy miles each day, so any little bit helps.....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Wannabe, that is excellent mileage. That computes to over 35 mpg in those BIG imperial gallons. My city mileage in BIG gallons is around 20 mpg city and 26 mpg hwy at 75mph (120kph)with moderate driving and occasional full throttle 2-lane passing manouvers (yes those pesky RV's are coming out of hibernation!). Car is stock. I'm sure that if I set the Bullitt on cruise and stayed around 60mph over 30miles per imperial gal. would be possible, but in the Bullitt it just feels so SLOW. . .

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Cool. I've been driving 70 on the freeway and I get 27 mpg (last time I checked). Mobil One, KN, and all that. I've often thot, "hey I'm getting better mpg than the V-6 Camry that just past me going 80." I don't care what people think as they pass me. We all drive slower, OPEC is po.ping their pants.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Hmmm. I'm just shifting from second to third when I pass 60 mph...I don't think the Bullitt will do very good at getting higher mpg driving any distance in third gear. :lol:

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I got 30 last summer on my trip to monatana..my friends 06 convert gt got the same since we cruised together..my friends 04 v6 got worse millage then me..it was funny

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4fit? said:
Very nice mileage!

That I will not cry "sacrilege" about, but......

...this I will not stand for!!!!!!

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew as soon as I posted this that someone would pick up on that!

Close enough - for a fuel economy comparison I mean! While my car is somewhat Bullitt-esque with its few add-ons and sinister black paint, I have always loved the real Bullitt's lower profile (no spoiler, plain rockers and side scoops, etc.). It has a really nice style. I was at Carlisle All-Ford Nat's the other week (heck, I live right in Carlisle!) and saw some of you guys' really nicely modded '01's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know what my economy is, but I filled it up when I brought it and it used just under 1/2 tank on my journey home of 160 miles, my partner in her 1.8 Astra used about the same (her car has 10 litre smaller tank) so I was pleased with that.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Well, with this last tank of gas on the Contour SVT, I slowed down to 62-64 mph .....I actually got WORST mpg......It drop down to 25.5 mpg....Grant it was in 100 plus degrees with the a/c on medium fan ......So I'll go back up to 66-68 mph again......

·
Registered
387 Posts
Pronkie1 said:
Well, with this last tank of gas on the Contour SVT, I slowed down to 62-64 mph .....I actually got WORST mpg......It drop down to 25.5 mpg....Grant it was in 100 plus degrees with the a/c on medium fan ......So I'll go back up to 66-68 mph again......
Air con will increase your fuel economy. Is your Contour like our Mondeo a 2.0?

·
Registered
618 Posts
A/C definitely decrease fuel economy regardless of speed. If it is comfortable, you are much better off with the windows slightly cracked, but not all the way down especially not at 50+ mph.

Just by slightly modifying my driving technique, I am averaging slightly over 44 mpg in my Civic. I drove the B to New Orleans weekend before last and knocked down a solid 27 mpg on the highway with around an avg speed in the low 70's. Even at 75ish, I was getting a solid 26. I bought a scan gauge so that is very helpful, expecially when I can verify it against the old fashioned miles driven divided by fillup method.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
andy-kitt said:
Air con will increase your fuel economy. Is your Contour like our Mondeo a 2.0?
The Contour SVT has the Duratec 2.5 V-6 with modifications from the SVT group, hence the need for premium...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
the best ive ever done in my bullitt is 27 and that was all highways with a few spirited 140mph springs but for the most part cruising at 70. my svt focus when i was moving for school got a best of 38mpg...gotta love cruising in 6th gear at like 60mph. also use your cruise control.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My bullitt has always achieved consistently equal, if not better MPG than my old v6 auto stang on the highway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've managed to coax about 24.5mpg out of my Bullitt around town just by toning down how agressively I drive. I just ease off the clutch and shift gears when the tach hits 2000. Accelleration is slow, and I get a lot of horns from some rather rude drivers, but who cares. I put 13 gallons in the tank and go about 320 miles before I have to hit the pumps again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.