Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the current thinking on a fix for our 3650 transmissions to get a better shift? It is interesting that when I mention the transimission probems with our Bullitts that folks really don't believe me. They always say the problems I am describing (e.g. 1-2 grind) are caused by speed shifting, etc. I don't have the 1-2 grind but I do know I should not have the "clunking" periodically felt.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yeah my 74' has a clunk when you put it in gear. its just the slack in the rear portion of the driveshaft. 1633 does it once in a while.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
My Bullitt clunks every so often. Usually after sitting for a day or two. Once driven it tends to go away. My 84 RS Capri did the same thing with a T-5. It's just the way they are...:wink:

·
Car Whisperer
20,785 Posts
that clunk is probably coming from the crush washer on the pinion bearing. when I had the gears put in mine, the ford mechanic talked about the way most come from the factory without the proper torque and thus the sloppy drivetrain. when he got done with mine, no more clunk as the pinion was set in there correctly with the right torque to take up the slack. I could actually feel the difference besides the new gears as the car reacted immediately when engaged in gear whereas before that clunk had to happen with the slack being taken up before moving forward.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like this might be my problem.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the times I really get the clunk/clang is when I put it in reverse, go backwards, and then put it in neutral. Does this happen to others?

·
Car Whisperer
20,785 Posts
I don't remember mine doing it in reverse, only in 1st and even at times in 2nd.

·
Car Whisperer
20,785 Posts
you should be able to check it by getting under the car and see how much slack you have even when the car is standing still. If everything is right, if you hand turn the drivehaft, there should be no slop in it at all. If you get some movement at the u-joint/yoke before it engages the rear end....that's it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a 101 stupid question but when I try to turn the driveshaft did I need to have the car in neutral?

·
Car Whisperer
20,785 Posts
I'd have it in gear and in neutral to really check it. there should be no real play at all. with it in gear, you will not get much movement from the tranny, but you may still get some at the rear if it is really off. Mine was like that. When it is in neutral, this will allow you to rotate the shaft easier and thus you will have to watch to see how much it moves before it starts to engage at the rear. With the wheel on the ground, even if it is in neutral, the wheels won't turn (assuming you are not on a hill, lol, so have the tires blocked) so you should be able to check for how much play is in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts