Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 3700 mile round trip. Our trip took us on the southern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway, parts of US 301 in Virginia and many interstate miles up and back from Vermont. I found the Bullitt exceeded my expectations in almost every driving situation. In the Blue Ridge the handling was precise, and the transmission and throttle we well balanced for this kind of driving. I have no experience with any late model Mustangs to compare to, but I really did not expect as great a ride. My former experiences with Ford pony cars in the Blue Ridge was in the late 60’s with a 67 Mustang and 68 Cougar, which at the time were fine rides. However, since that time I have owned a 76 Celica, 83 Supra and 94 3000GT that just overshadowed all previous experiences. But, I am truly impressed with #370’s handling.

The interstate driving was fun and comfortable, and obviously I had a lot of miles to experience the ride. Due to some unfortunate circumstances with not being able find hotel rooms I found myself, on two occasions, driving 12 hours straight. And was amazed as to how the car was so comfortable that I suffered no fatigue or any muscle cramping. This was a surprise and I would say that the Bullitt beat my former imports in this department.

It was interesting to have a number of vehicles pass us and then slow down and let me overtake them while the kids pointed at the Bullitt with excitement. While stopped outside of Ticonderoga, NY. a woman approached the car and asked if her son and husband could look at the car. Apparently, the 8-10 year old son had spotted the car from the road and this was the highlight of the day for him (and his dad). I’m observing, at the car shows that I have been in, that the kids are the ones that know all about the car and movie.

My story is, that in 68-70 I was in high school in Ft. Lauderdale (what a great time and place to be in high school) and a friend had a green 67 GT fastback. Bullitt had just come out and the sensations from the chase scene just had to be experienced. So, we proceeded to modify the 67 with a cam, lifters, carb, headers, traction bars, ring and pinion, etc. Of course, the only hills in Ft. Lauderdale are the railroad tracks and the drawbridge ramps so we proceeded to jump just about all of them. Something you don’t ever forget.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great story, reminds me of my last drive through the park back in 1988. Drove down in my white 1971 Firebird Formula,spectacular to say the least! Really enjoyed the hills and curves around Pigeon Forge Tennesse.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
-Stop it-

You're making me homesick for the roads where I grew up. If you can overlook the lack of armco barriers, eastern Tennessee and west North Carolina have some of the best driving roads on the east coast.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey JayP,I live in Knoxville,Tn.Have you ever riden a motorcycle or driven a performance car accross US HWY 129 From Maryville,Tn to Robinsville,NC? This highway at the stretch over the mountain as 318 curves in a distance of just 11 or 12 miles.What a rush!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts