Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after long and hard deliberation I've decided to go with 4:10 gears instead of 3:73. I've disscussed this with several local race shops and a few other local shops and the majority agree that I will benifit more from this choice in gears. My largest reasons for this are as follows:

MODS:
ex-hone the intake and PP the heads
80mm MAF
dual 70mm Cobra throttlebody
SHM cams
o/r x-pipe w/2 chamber flows
100 shot NOS
Dyno tuned chip
aluminum driveshaft and flywheel
18x315x35 tires on 18x11 wheels in rear
18x265x35 tires on 18x9.5 wheels in front
2" front and 1.5" rear drop

for these specific mods i opted for the 4:10. I should be having them installed this wekend and I'll post how good they work in the car...............

> limo tinted windows with eyebrow
> fully funtional ram air scoop

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Black Sunshine #161 on 2001-07-11 21:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Black Sunshine #161 on 2001-07-11 21:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds good! BTW how did the extrude hone work on the intake? Did you notice a good boost? Thanks

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i left out that all the mods are not in place yet. (SORRY BOUT THAT ) the first mod is the gears i have the intake lined up to do allready but i havnt yet torn the car down. that part will be about a month before i have something else to drive. i ordered the cams allready and i have the xpipe and the nos system...im just trying to do it in big chunks at a time.....maby i should do small ones and let you know the performance gain of each one......

·
Registered
762 Posts
Please make sure you have a good tuner dyno and program a chip for you. If you don't you will find that the 70mm throttle body will cause you lots of driveability concerns. I tried a BBK 62mm twin and everything went crazy. Needless to say I took it off and returned it. After the fact I called around and found out that the stock TB will flow all the needs of the Bullitt, Cobra and Lightning. Just something for you to consider.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have been considering 4:10 gears. I noticed in my Bullitt that shifting into O/D at speeds under 50 or 55 mph; there isn't a whole lot of punch. 4th works fine up to 55mph, but now the R's are getting up there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree with the Reader about not using 4:10's. Having been in a Fox-body that ran 4.10's, the oomph is certainly there, but it was real loud on the highway & sucked on gas mileage. Not being familiar with the new Tremec 3650, I don't know what the gear ratio's are, but personally, I feel 3.73's are low enough that you'll have a significant performance gain, especially out of the hole, without becoming unbearable from a driveability standpoint.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Black Sunshine, how are you going to handle the speedo correction?

John

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not too sure about the speedo yet...there are a few speedo shops around town so i am going to give them a shot and see what they say

·
Registered
826 Posts
How is the 4.10 gear change working out?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Concerning speedo recalibrations, I was at the dealer this weekend & the service department manager told me they can correct my speedo if I put in a diiferent gear ratio. He also mentioned that if I put in the gears myself, they probably wouldn't be covered by the warranty, which confirmed info I'd heard before. He also said I'd have to use Ford gears & Motorcraft fluids to retain drivetrain warranty coverage, which kinda sucks 'cause I'd prefer to use Eaton's. Oh well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dealer said he could change the speedo also, but when they tried the computer told them something like access denied. They tried to call svo but they wouldn't help them either so It appears that ford engineered something to make it tamper proof. It seems a speedpro or other calibration devise will be necessary.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 3.73's and 4.10's would not be too much, so go for it! As far as the speed calibration...I had Dallas Mustang put on a speed calibratior for $150 installed and it works fine. I even tested it with a radar. They have it on their web sight for $99. Your other option is to have a chip burned but why do that until all your mods are done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts