Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for prices on gears and it seems that the 4.10's price $60-$70 more than any other ratio. Even 4.56's and 4.30's are generally $60.00 less. I'm just trying to decide if the 4.10's are worth the extra money over 3.73's. Looking at Ford Racing gears specifically. There are no plans for a power adder on this car, just simple bolt on's. For daily driver use and an occasional trip to the track, will 3.73's be a better choice than 4.10's? I think 4.30's are a bit much. $60.00 isn't much, but I plan on upgrading the diff and axles, so it adds up pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
4.10s all the way!! I have them in my Bullitt, and it just adds to the fun without being obnoxious in my opinion. Don't fear the gear!!!:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
i dont know about yours but traction seems to be an issue the more you gear the car. i have 3.73's and i kill my tires. and its not on burnouts or llaunches. its break the tires loose and breakin the rear loose on my shifts. and i just have a bolt on car.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I have not met a single person who went with 4.10's who says "boy, I wish I had gone with 3.73's!" I have heard quite a few with 3.73's say they wish they had gone with 4.10's. In the grand scheme of things, 60 bucks today is little more than a tank and a half of gas. Trust me, if you even think you want 4.10's, now is not the time to try to save money. Imagine kicking yourself in the butt over three Jacksons.

As far as drivability, I have no problems with mine. I can get right on down the road without tearing the tires apart.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i know someone with a bullit went from 3.73's to 4.10's and go no faster in the quarter mile. and you dont hook as well on the street. its all in thier head ill rape a mustang with 4.10s in my bullitt on the street. specially when they are shifting before i am and thier 4th ends before mine does.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You calling me out? :)

Is it possible that my car is that weak that I can manage to get it down the road or the track without blowing the tires off? Or is it entirely possible that, as with anything else, a new gear ratio has a learning curve?

As far as shifting before a 3.73 car does, yeah that's true. I'm in 4th gear right about the 1/8th mile mark. But what difference does it make where fourth ends as long as it gets you to the end of the 1/4?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
4.30s and most definitely 4.56s, you will be running out of gear in the 1/4.

There are a lot of factors to look at when talking about breaking the tires loose. It's gonna take a little finesse whether you do 3.73s or 4.10s over the stock 3.27s. The motor is going to rev much faster.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It all depends on the application.

If you are going to be doing road racing, 3:55.1 gears would work

If your gonna drag race with an N/A or N02 on the motor i say go 4:10.1

If your gonna Drag race with any form of Turbo or supercharger i say 3:73.1

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
But also notice how i put it. "I SAY"

Some people will say other wise. but for most applications, 3:73.1 gears are just fine. i mean going from a 3:73.1 to a 4:10.1 can be nice as well but sometimes it will hurt you in the long run.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
side note
but I knew a guy once that paid a shop to put in 4.10s into his 5.0. Later on he put a blower on it. Well needless to say he was going into 5th RATHER quickly on the track :D Come to find out the shop put in 4.56s even :D lol
he wouuld do burnouts in 2nd and it looked like a F350 in granny gear doing a burnout :D lol... slow wheel speed

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
It all depends on the application.

If you are going to be doing road racing, 3:55.1 gears would work

If your gonna drag race with an N/A or N02 on the motor i say go 4:10.1

If your gonna Drag race with any form of Turbo or supercharger i say 3:73.1
Here's what i found. Tire height plays as much into gears as does gears themselves. For example you can run a 26" drag slick w/3.73's but if you go to 28"tall slicks than go to 4.10's. The key is to run out the end of the 1/4 mile at about max rpm.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
^^^ yep, more tire circumference takes gear out.

·
Quest for single digits
12,030 Posts
DOUBLE J said:
Here's what i found. Tire height plays as much into gears as does gears themselves. For example you can run a 26" drag slick w/3.73's but if you go to 28"tall slicks than go to 4.10's. The key is to run out the end of the 1/4 mile at about max rpm.
Exactly, I run a 26" slick with 3.73's and I believe you run a 28" with 4.10's

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yeah i was considering him to be useing either stock rims and tires or the 17x10s with 315s, of course if you go with slicks you'll want to consider the tire height.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm planning on running my regular street tires on the street (255/40/17) and 26" E/T Streets at the track. So, would you recommend 3.73's or 4.10's?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks alot guys. I was hoping to have the rearend done by the nat's, but doesn't look like I'll be able to. Now I'm saving up for the Nat's and can't spend any money on the car. I need to get on it ASAP though, did a nice little burnout the other day and only one black mark. It seems to depend on where I do it though. Sometimes both spin, sometimes only 1.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts