Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, Bullitt #451 is in the shop with driveline problems. 1.) I have "The Clunk" when shifting and 2.) when it's cold it won't go into second or it will grind.

It has never been raced, never missed a shift, and only has ~1500mi on the clock. I'm pretty pissed. So much for buying a new car so I won't have to worry about it breaking.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Tell us what, if anything, they find out about the "Clunk". A lot of us have been experiencing the same thing and it's been written off as "Normal" behavior by a bunch of the Cobra guys.
Just remember.. that while having a "New" car may not mean that you get a repairless ride at least you do get a "Costless" repair of your problems. :smile:
Godd luck with it and let us know if they find anything out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been taking the clunking as normal, but it's been getting progressively worse. Then the second gear problem came up. That's when I decided to have it looked at.

The one guy at the dealership said he's NEVER heard of a Mustang having this problem, even though the service manager said he's seen it _many_ times before.

Guys, this is NOT a normal occurance, DO NOT live with it, make FORD fix it. It'll only get worse.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Same here I have the "clunk" also between shifts but I have contributed it to a poor shift by me. I notice I get the "clunk" in the driveline if I let out the clutch quicker than I give it an equal amount of gas to more or less take up the "slack" in the driveline. If I cooridinate the 2 actions equally then I dont get the slop or clunk I would normally feel in the drive line. The clunk I guess could be described as a universal joint going bad like when u shift an automatic in drive or reverse.
What it seems to be is maybe to much gear lash between the gears in the new transmission so when u shift and accelerate the gears "cluck" as they mesh together.
Ps : would be nice to know what the trans specs are for closeness tolerances between gears. oh by the way if your decklid gaps aren't even on either side the tolerances are 5mm +/- 2mm as quoted by Art hyde the chief engineer on the mustang program. Thats one of the problems I had with mine.

Thanx Havgun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it shouldn't "clunk." My '88 TC with a 150,000 mi T-5 in it, doesn't make ANY clunking noises, never grinds, always goes into gear. If a 150K mi T-5 can operate perfectly, then a 1.5K mi TR-3650 should be able to also. Just the way I feel...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Let me explain about new car. In cars the manufacture put substandard parts because they know that parts MAY fail in real world and sometimes it will not fail and last until 3 years or 36,000. Now think about this millions of parts are be manufactured and what do think they do with parts that barely passed inspection they put it in the new cars. So what they do with part that pass inspection with flying colors, they sell it over the counter and they are the best parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts