Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally able to get 4930 into the dealership for it's first service...they'll also be addressing SEVERAL paint issues. I looked at the paintwork done on 3663 last week and decided that I'll trust the dealership after seeing how good it looked. They'll buff out a few small scratched areas, and totally repain the passenger's side door. (flaking and a defect at the bottom of the door) Ford gave me a 2002 Explorer 4x4 rental for the week, so I can't complain too much...very nice ride! I'll let you all know how it turned out.

Steve

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hey Steve,

Sounds like a nice ride;-)... I have to send 227 back in again to fix all the paint problems, but it's the 5th trip back;-(... I have a feeling it will be down for at least 3 weeks again. This time they say they are going to give me something to drive;-)...

Please do let us know how it looks once you get it back.

Bud in Sunny California. At least sunny today<G>.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bud,

Good luck with your Bullitt. 5 times,heh? Why so many trips back? Ford definately should be giving you some wheels. (when I first purchased the car for Christine, I identified every flake, defect and scratch and got it in writing that they would fix it and was guaranteed a vehicle while it was in the shop...great customer service from our local dealership, I must say...I think if you initially establish a good relationship with the dealership and let them know you're extremely picky, it'll pay off years down the road)

Christine wants her car back "yesterday"...I must say they're in big trouble if she doesn't get it by Friday...I can honestly see Christine driving around with the primered passenger-side door. :smile:

Steve

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hi Steve,

Hee hee heee... Now that would be funny. Be sure to get a photo of that if it happens<Grin>.

I painted cars for a long time and that is part of the problem. I did the same thing, identified the defects and then arranged for the car to go in for repairs. They don't have there own Body Shop, so it went out to a local shop. One that was supposed to be good with Black cars;-)...

Link showing the hood scoop:
http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/scoop/scoop.htm

Link to some of the work done on #227:
http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bs/bs.htm

I'll try to be short with this, but there was a lot going on. You should see the Excel Spread Sheet I have on this<G>

First trip:
Orginal dent still in the fender. Lots of Dirt in the paint and not everything painted.

Second trip:
Still lots of dirt, not everything painted again, and runs in the paint. Oh yes and dent still in the fender.

Third trip:
Dent is fixed, well kind of. Could see the bondo through the paint it was so bad. Less dirt, but now the color was wrong and the paint pealed under the hood scoop.

Forth Trip:
Car was down for 3 1/2 weeks getting everything repainted. It came back with about 3/4 of the work done. For example both fenders were repainted, but the jams under the hood were still the wrong black, and very seedy. They scratched the hood scoop, and did not get it on right. Over spray all over the car.

Fifth trip:
Engine was replaced due to two blown head gaskets. Passenger fender was chipped during repairs. Driver side fender was chipped in the corner next to the hood. Both corners of the hood were chipped.

On top of that the paint has what is called solvent pop and will probably start pealing soon;-(... Started seeing it on the driver's side fender and now on the hood;-(... So most likely it will have to go back in AGAIN. This time they tell me they will give me a car though.

So overall the car has been in the shop off and on for over two months. I told the dealer that Ford took my car payments and let me drive my 1991 Toyota truck so they should give me something for all my troubles. So the dealer is working on getting me an extended warranty. I told them I also want GT Running lights for all my trouble;-)...

Hey best part is the body shop that screwed the car up so many times still got paid. Close to three thousand bucks overall. Ugggg...

The worst part is the Body Shop blames Ford for these problems. Ford does not pay enough to do the repairs right! I went off the deep end on that one. I explained to him that when I pained cars and it came back for these types of reasons, I repainted for FREE!!! Uggg...

Sorry for such a long post... But as you can see a lot has happened;-(... I also eMAILED Art Hyde about it asking that he forward it to someone that may be interested in helping me out with this. He replied once but not again;-(...

Thanks for letting me vent a little;-)...

Bud in Rainy California today;-).

http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/buillitt.htm

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4930 is back, but I'm sad to say that I'm very unhappy with the paint job. Everything looks good, except for the fact that there's about 15 or so specks in the paint (dust, etc.) Service Manager looked and said it was unacceptable (he should have looked at it before calling me to pick it up). He reccomended that I take it back to the body shop myself next week and let them look at it. Haaaaaaaaaa, this is going to be fun. If I have to take it back 10 times, I'll do it until it's right. I wonder what I'll get for a rental the next time??? I simply cannot believe the quality control! It should have been caught by the body shop and then Ford, but nope, leave it to the owner to point it out. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hi Steve.

This is where all my problems started, and have been going on since May;-(... BTW, the dealership was to call me back two weeks ago about what we were going to do about all this. Not a single word from them yet;-(...

Ask them if they sanded and rubbed the paint. They should be able to rub the dust out if there is not that much there.

Please let us know how it goes.

Bud

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do...I'm planning on taking it to the body shop later this week... I can't wait to see what they say. I'll be happy when this is all over.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hey Steve,

Just wanted to check in and see how things are going with your car. Also to let you know that I have the ok to take #227 to the body shop of my choice and get it fixed right;-)... Might have to get Ford to pay my borther and I to fix this mess<G>.

BTW, I had a run in with the body shop that screwed up my car. They fixed my buddie's truck twice. Actually the have several shops and another shop fixed my buddie's truck. They had hit the plastic parts with the buffer and compound, but tried to blame it on him waxing the truck. By buddie is the kind of guy that does not wax anything;-)... So I got into it with the manager. Ended up leaving in my car but nice and slow. My buddie was sticking around talking to the manager and he told him he did not care for my attitude;-)... My buddie says what do you expect you F...ed up his car! Another guy comes running over saying....Hey, that's that Black Bullitt!!!

Then today the owner of the shop calls my buddie to apoligize for the problems he had. He even mentiond my Bullitt but blamed part of the problems on Ford dealership! Ugggg... But the good news is it should get fixed after the first of the year;-)...

Happy Holidays.

Bud

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry to hear about the paint probs fellas. I had to have a new c-pillar put on my car or should I say the correct c-pillar, I had one of each a GT and Bullitt. Anyway the place I took my car did an outstanding job. Hang in there and hold them to it until it's right.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
DO NOT TAKE YOUR VEHICLE IN FOR WARRANTY WORK UNLESS IT'S REALLY A BIG ISSUE. If the "defects" are minimal live with it. You'll be happier in the long run. If you take it in for something small, good luck and I mean that.....you may get it back with an addition minimal flaw. I've been there!

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, 4930 is home and it's staying here this time. I'm happy to report that the fresh paint on the door looks great. My heart was racing as I pulled up to the body shop, just thinking of the possibility of another bad job. This time, no junk in the paint/clearcoat. I agree, small defects are better off not touched. However, I had a significant defect on the bottom of the door with paint flaking in two separate areas, so I basically had to have it re-shot.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hey Steve,

That is EXCELLENT NEWS!!! I think I am sending 227 back to a Different shop after the holidays. Hopefully the 5th trip gets the job done :wink: ...

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Bud is kind of rainy and sunny Northern California

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bud,

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your Bullitt!

May you have an awesome Christmas and super New Year!

As for me, well I'll have a Merry Christmas but will be off to a bad start to the New Year. Just got word that I'm headed to the middle east. Location is classified at this time as well as the length of the deployment. Christine and the girls aren't too happy but understand due to the circumstances. (heck, I just got back from Egypt just over a month ago) I'll be signing off for quite awhile but will try to get access at my new location. Christine will, of course, be logging in often and keeping up with all of the Bullittclub.com news. Sometime next week, when I get more info, I'll say my goodbye to all.

God bless and take care,
Steve

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hi Steve,

You take care of your self while you’re over seas. You have that Bullitt to take care of as well :wink:...

I'll get my Bullitt problems worked out at some point. My brother is really trying to talk me into flames :wink:... Nice transparent candy color flames. We will have to see on that :wink:...

We wish the best for you and your family and do be careful while out of the country!

Bud and family!

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys...Hopefully I'll not be there as long as the orders state!!! 4930 will be in the garage most of the time. Christine will be taking her out once in awhile for fun.

Bud, good luck with your Bullitt. I was extremely frustrated with mine only being in twice, I can only imagine how bad it must be for you. Just keep stickin' to your guns and don't let up. Anyone spending that much money deserves a quality product. Hopefully you can find the right shop who know's the importance of QUALITY!!!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hey Steve,

I just put a new cote of wax on 227. BTW, this will be post 227 for me<G>. The paint is looking pretty bad to me, but from a distance it still looks good. Next week I will get a couple of NEW body shops to take a look at it and see what I want to do.

You take care of your self and get back in time for NASCAR to start up :wink:

Have a GREAT NEW YEAR.

Bud posting #227 :-B

PS photo of 227 in San Francisco as a Cable car goes by.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts