Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of ours had asked us to help them last night so we decided to take a trip to their house. They lived off of rt 1 here in nj which is a known racing road. I was contemplating taking the Bullitt but my wife wanted to take her car instead (2002 explorer xls). Knowing that rt. 1 can be pretty cutthroat and the fact that i was a bit tired i decided not to argue with her. We took the Explorer.

On the way home we were stopped on the highway at one of the lights. There was a cargo van in front of us with one of those metal spare tire covers on the back. There was no one in the right or left lane and just us in the middle. I usually would not wait behind someone with 2 lanes open but i was tired and not thinking. So, I am waiting at the light and the next thing i know is someone rams me from behind at least doing 40-45 mph and pushes me into the van in front. I heard no tires or brakes squealing or anything before it happened. The impact was so hard that it knocked off my wife's scruchee(is that a word?) and activated the fuel pump shutoff switch. By the time i realized where i was the truck that hit me( some kinda pickup) backed up and drove past me. Then the guy in front of me left! Now i am all alone in the middle of a highway and can't move. My wife called the police on her cell phone and they had already gotten a complaint about the same truck driving recklessly. The guy in front of me came back and said he did about 80mph to catch up to the truck so he can get the plate#

I found the fuel cutoff switch and was able to start the truck to get it on the shoulder. The officer said that they had 5 tickets written up for this guy already and had Police waiting at his house till he got home. My wife and i both have neck injuries and my shoulder hurts. We are going to the docotr's tomorrow. I am so glad we didn't take the Bullitt. If we did i would have been arrested for murder cause i would have killed the guy.

The worst part is that we have lawsuit threshold on our policy and probably can't sue this jerkoff! I did thank the guy in front of me for getting the plate and we exchanged phone #'s. I am gonna call him to see if he and his son are ok.

·
Registered
153 Posts
01Bullitt I know how you feel. A guy ran a red light and I t-boned him and then he left the scene. No one got his license plate. So my insurance had to pay. The important thing is that you and your wife are not seriously hurt. Hopefully the soreness and pain in your necks will go away. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I wish you and your wife the best.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much i aprreciate that!

The more i think about it I'm glad I didn't take the bullitt

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Dude, I hope you guys get better. There are a lot of dumb F#(ks out there. Thank god that no one was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
01Bullitt,

I'm really glad you and the wife lived through this. Chances are, if you were in the Bullitt, you both wouldn't be here to tell us about this..

It looks like the man upstairs spared you for a least another day. I hope you both get to feeling better soon and that clown gets some serious jail time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your accident, but am glad you and your wife are ok. Lucky you two took the bigger vehicle. Let us know how everything works out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Glad to hear you and your wife weren't killed.

I feel your pain literally. My 83 5.0 GT Conv. was rear ended in 93 by a Lincoln Town Car doing about 70 while I was stopped. I let off the brakes, so that kept him from ending up completely on top of me, but he was up in my trunk about 18 inches, and I bent the steering wheel into an inverted L. Believe me when I say the pain in your necks will never go completely away. Depending on how bad you feel now, you'll have recurrences. Get yourselves some good supportive pillows, because sleeping on it wrong can be excrutiating in the morning.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hope you are indeed OK.

This happened to me 6 years ago in Ft. Worth at a red light. The guy that hit me was also in a truck, as was I. He hit me so hard that he pushed me 20 feet into a car in front of me. $5000.00 worth of damage to my truck.

My neck kind of hurt at this time, but did not notice it too much until the next day. Since the guy did'nt have any insurance I had to use my uninsured/underinsured portion of my policy. Well it took almost 5 months to discover that I have a mildly ruptured disc in my neck and 13 months to get all things settled with State Farm. So make sure that you are indeed OK before settling anything with your insurance. Watch out for nausea, shortness of breath, tired all the time etc...

Hope you both are indeed OK....

·
Registered
959 Posts
O1.. man, talk about fate. Glad you are alivre and hopefully, just wind up being a bit soer. Also hope they jail that idiot for a long time.

Brian

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Glad to here everyone is ok, Glad to hear your Bullitt is safe to! I was wondering how you felt the Explorer held up considering the way you were hit? My wife and I also have 2002 Explorer and I was curious how it did in a crash.

·
Registered
111 Posts
01bullitt,

Glad you and the Mrs. were able to walk away from that one. Sounds like the Explorer did it's job. Stories like this are one of the reasons I bought an Expedition when my son was born. Hope your trip to the doctor has a happy ending as well!!

Rick

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your concern!

We are going to the doctor's today.

I have to get the damage on the explorer estimated. Considering the impact the damage isn't really too bad. There are 2 holes in the bumper(probably from the truck's bumper guard) and the lower part of the lift gate is pushed in. On the front the hood is bent up on one side and the grill and bumper is damged. The motor,trans etc seems ok and suprisingly he never hit the exhaust pipe at all.

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see all of your comments - Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Glad to hear that you both are apparently OK.
I was in a similar accident when I was living in DC.
I was borrowing a friends LaCar (no he wasn’t gay and nether was I ever!) when I got rear ended by a cab doing about 55. Then he was then rear ended and then that guy was rear ended. I was also at complete stop. The impacts pushed me into the car ahead of me, which was, in fact a new 84 GT Mustang. It didn’t do any damage to the Mustang but the driver observed the whole accident in her review mirror and gave me her name and number in the event I would need a witness.
When the DC police showed up they gave the taxi cab driver a ticket for reckless driving following to close, etc. Then the police officer gave me a ticket for following to close, and said that he was going to charge the lady driving the mustang for leaving the scene of an accident. He ticketed me even after I and another witness told him I was at a dead stop. My ticket, along with the Mustang driver’s ticket was later thrown out. That cop was an *******. There is so much that happened with this accident that I would like to tell, but I will keep it sort.
Anyway, I felt fine after the impact. But later that night, I had to roll my self out of bed because my back hurt so badly, I was out of action for about two days.
About four years later, I was rear ended again while driving an 81 VW Sirocco in North Carolina by a Honda Accord being driven by a 16 year old who had just got his license and the car, who was doing about 45 by his on words, when he hit me. Believe or not the only car damage were two scraps marks on my bumper made by his dealer frame tag. I, along with the passenger and driver of the Honda were amazed that was the only damage. I had a sore back for about a day, but nothing like the crash in DC.
I am not having continued problems with my back. My back is fine for near 40 year old!

BTW, the LaCar was totaled!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FASTBULLITT on 2001-11-05 11:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'm very, very alert when it pertains to being stopped in traffic!

6 years ago I was in Stockton, Cal. on Highway 99, stopped in rush hour traffic, in the fog, when an 18 wheeler hit my 18 wheeler from behind at 60mph(estimated)

The impact was so great, it knocked me forward into a 4 door dually GMC and him into a Ford pickup. Needless to say, both pickups were destroyed. I'm glad I was in the way, because otherwise, everyone in front would've been killed for sure.

Size does have it's benefits, but I was off work for 2 years over that.

Not a good point in my life.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One point i forgot to mention was when the guy in front of me chased this jerk to get his plate# The guy that hit me gave him the finger!

We told the cop and the insurance company.

I'm wondering if the guy was drunk or this was done intentionally?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Thank god You all are OK!!!!! I hope finger waver gets some jail time.... Sounds like with his record he should at least lose his driving prvileges!!!!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-05 12:19, 01bullitt wrote:
One point i forgot to mention was when the guy in front of me chased this jerk to get his plate# The guy that hit me gave him the finger!

We told the cop and the insurance company.

I'm wondering if the guy was drunk or this was done intentionally?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

What you really need to do is get a good lawyer, not one of those who advertise on tv.

Regardless of what your insurance policy says, you have rights! You can sue separately for pain and suffering, loss of value to your SUV(even if it's fixed perfectly, it'll never be worth what an undamaged one's worth) future medical and loss of consortium.

A decent lawyer will handle dealing with everything so you can go on with your life without a hassle.

Without a lawyer's involvement, the pressure is on you to sign a quick settlement and that could prove disasterous if either of you need neck surgery in the future and you can't earn a living.

Six years after my event and I'm still seeing doctors and taking medication.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
The worst part is that we have lawsuit threshold on our policy and probably can't sue this jerkoff!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm glad to hear that both you and your wife are o.k.
When I read your post a red flag went up when you mentioned that you probably can't sue the guy. I am pretty sure that you can sue this guy no matter what kind of policy you have. I think the lawsuit threshold that you are speaking of only pertains to people suing you.
Please fill me in if there is something that I'm missing here, otherwise I've got alot more to say.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts