Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get past 5 thousand RPMs in 4 th gear?I can ride all day up and down hill in 4 th and never get past 5 k RPM.I noticed another post about a Bullitt hit the rev limiter in 4 th.Should I get mine checked, or is not enough power to get it past 5K in 4th gear normal?

·
Registered
586 Posts
That sounds really wierd to me. I'm also wondering how fast you'd have to be going to hit 5-grand in 4th. If 3rd puts you through the traps at around 100MPH then 4th at 5-grand has to be way up in the, what....120MPH's or higher?

I still think if you're going fast enough, it shouldn't be a problem. Have you really tried it more than once? Was it too windy that day?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had mine up to redline in 4th (about 134mph). when i shifted into 5th i was shocked that it was still accelerating. that was never possible in my 95 GT with 2.73 gears.

i only stayed in 5th for a few seconds, then i came to my senses and slowed down.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bumped mine in fourth on a short stretch of highway. My eye witness told me we were at 140. I had no time to look for myself, then I had to slow down. It was no problem getting there. This is not a habit of mine and was only the second time doing so. The first time another stang and I were playing and knowing I was near tached out I looked to see where I was at. My tach was about 2 lines before redline and I glanced at the speedo and was at or just above 140. That was the fastest I had ever been and was the first time opening her up, I'll never forget it. The first story above was the second time and was with a fellow GT owner. I broke my 4 1/2 year speed record that first night. The other was 135 in an 1990 Porsche 911 the night before I was married in my now father in laws car! My best man and I still talk about that night. He still doesn't know!! LoL!!
I would have your car looked at by Ford. Hope this helped. =)
BB00797

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BB00797 on 2001-10-24 08:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
540 Posts
there shouldn't be any problem taking it past 5 grand in fourth. i have had mine to 4 grand in 5th on a frontage road to an airport.

·
Registered
163 Posts
should be no problem at all getting it too 5800 rpm's in 4th gear....I had my car up to what looked like a little over 140 and was shifting out of fourth into fifth ..and had to slow down ..the traffic was coming up fast on the borman expressway ....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try again and see if I can get it past 5K in 4th.I'll look at the speed this time.These wide country roads are good for tests of that sort.Safe and no traffic.I just dont want to hit another deer with my Bullitt.Hit the first one before I got the dealer tags off.Shut it down in time.The doe only left some hair on the bumper,before it got up and ran away.Excellent brakes and bumper.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last night I went ahead a gave it a shot out in the country on the way home, and with success, I hit about 5900 RPM in 4th and was at about 135 MPH. I had to let off then due to another car up ahead. I didn't want to pass anyone at such speeds. Car handled awesome, pretty solid to the road.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recently had my Bullitt up to 130 mph in 4th gear turning over 5k rpm, probably close to redline...

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, i was racing a supra on the interstate and i was hiting around 142mph at 6000 rpm ""i know i shoud have shifted but i never race in 5th gear its an overdrive gear and unless you have some good mods i wouldnt do it""

1 - 14 of 14 Posts