Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 94 GT had no problem crusing around in the 40 - 45 MPH range in 5th. However, the Bullitt sounds and feels "clunky" from the transmission to the rear-end when driving in 5th gear in the 40 - 45 MPH range. It's hard to describe but it is like the drivetrain has a lot of play. I put it 4th and all is well. The manual says shift from 4th to 5th at 40MPH. I think 50 MPH is more like what it should be. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
451 Posts
For similar reasons, I never go into 5th at less than *60* mph, but it is hilly where I live...

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I've caught myself going around the bypass (about 2.5-3 miles) in 4th gear. I'm usually in 3rd when I'm on the ramp and then put it into 4th once I get on the roadway. I usually am over 50 when I go into 5th. DIDN'T say I was speeding or anything, just over 50. lol
Cam

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with my Superchip. Gene Ancel at Performance Ford (where I got the chip) is going to look into this for me.

John

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think I've got some of that play in my driveline also, but not necessarily in your gear/speed range. It's hilly around here. I should say that 5th seems to be of no use to me at all. Even on the PA Turnpike, I cruise in 4th until I hit about 70MPH. Seems like 5th is most useful for cruising in the 80MPH range, but that's just a bit outside the safe zone for avoiding tickets around here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-01 15:39, 01GTCOUPE wrote:
I think I've got some of that play in my driveline also, but not necessarily in your gear/speed range. It's hilly around here. I should say that 5th seems to be of no use to me at all. Even on the PA Turnpike, I cruise in 4th until I hit about 70MPH. Seems like 5th is most useful for cruising in the 80MPH range, but that's just a bit outside the safe zone for avoiding tickets around here.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I feel like I'm lugging the engine if I get into 5th at under 65 mph. I don't even like to use 4th until I hit close to 40 mph. It's rolling hills here. Also, I hate cruising in my small town - speed limit is 25 and I have to keep it in 2nd. It seems so loud.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Bullitt did not like to run in 5th gear at speeds below 50mph until I had almost 2000 miles on it. It used to lug the engine and make a very unpleasent kind of grinding noise when I would try to accelerate. Sometimes it would buck a little. This behavior was at its worst when the car had below 1000 miles, but has steadly improved its road manners. Now at 3000 miles, the car cruses fine at 40 mph in 5th on level and mild grades. It also has more overall power, a is still improving.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's good news, Peo'r, I just rolled over 1K yesterday. From what I'm reading performance keeps improving. Hope #2832's will too.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tracy and PEO'R. It is more like a "bucking" sensation when shifting into 5th between 40 - 45 MPH. Usually occurs when the car is still cold. Less likly to occur at full temperature. I know all the transmission mount bolts are tight as I checked them myself. As you suggest I am going to give it more time to break in. The car now only has 565 miles on it. If it is still a problem at 3000 miles I'll have the dealer check it out. I just hate taking the car to the dealer for anything. It's like rolling the dice. Sometimes it comes back better than new and sometimes it comes back with other problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts