Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone tell me why Ford would supply a 6 speed transmission in their SVT Focus and only supply a 5 speed in thier Cobras and Ford Bullitts. I know that the Focus has some massive power (170HP)but don't you think we would benefit by having that extra overdrive gear?

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's probably not another O/D gear like the T-56's. It's probably more like the 6 spd that comes in the new Maximas, where 5th is 1:1. I'd imagine that the Focus motor revs pretty high and would definately benefit from a wide ratio trans.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Does a Bullitt w/ 315lbft need another gear? It's pretty tractable in traffic and god knows we don't need to go 170mph.

With another gear change, that'll slow any 1/4 mile run down a few 10ths.

The SVT Focus needs that leverage for its 130ish lbft engine. SVT needs to do something with that engine... 170hp? The base Subaru 4 makes 165hp and a whopping 160lbft!

·
Registered
568 Posts
There's no need for 6th gear. I cross the traps in 3rd & cruise the highway in 5th at 2000 rpms. Why would we need another gear? The torque curve is flat enough to work fine with the current tranny ratios. Personally, our motor & the new tremec 3650 are perfectly suited for each other.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-01 15:18, rancorkeeper wrote:
There's no need for 6th gear. I cross the traps in 3rd & cruise the highway in 5th at 2000 rpms. Why would we need another gear?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Geez man, didn't you see JayP's post???
We need a 6th gear to hit 170!!!!
Seriously though, my friend has a 911 that has a six speed, I think he can get up to 170. That's why we (I) need an extra gear! I've got a Porsche to race.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The reason they don't throw the 6 speed in is probably the cost. There's enough space under the car to put another 5 gears in the case.

For the driving events on track, I might want another gear. But since I put just under 100 miles on my car a day... I'll take 2000 rpm at 75 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts