Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My build date is may 8th [40 anv of bullitt filming!] I'd like to get some meguires on her to start protecting the finish.Is 6-7 weeks enough time?

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,321 Posts
glennster5.0 said:
My build date is may 8th [40 anv of bullitt filming!] I'd like to get some meguires on her to start protecting the finish.Is 6-7 weeks enough time?
I don't know who started this fable about "waiting to wax" your new car, but my opinion is that it's pure bunk. Mythbusters should do a segment on this to disprove that waxing "early" hurts your finish in any way. How do you "damage" something that's already protected? Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe its old school but paint used to take time for the solvents to come up and waxing would hurt this and keep the solvents from getting out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from mequires website
A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Zanio's Brothers all the way! Z2

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
glennster5.0 said:
from mequires website
A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best.
Also, bodies are pre painted and stored so they are ready for their scheduled build, so it's been more than the time you estimate that has passed as well.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
You are not really waxing it like we used to with Turtle wax or something like that. The new wax on a clear coat is non abrasive so it should not hurt anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts