Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newsbot had this the other day, but it is worth posting here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/10/ebay-find-of-the-day-1963-lemans-tempest-sells-for-226-521/

Posted Nov 10th 2008 10:57AM by Chris Tutor
Filed under: Motorsports, Time Warp, Auction Action, Pontiac

The eBay auction for this 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest started out innocently enough. Obtained after owner died. Appears to have original interior but no motor, no transmission. Body has a little rust and some dents. There's stuff in the trunk, but no key to open it. Opening bid nine days ago was a mere $500. After one week, eBay seller 123ecklin will pocket $226,521 before auction fees. What happened between Day 1 and Day 9 is an amazing story.

The car's plexiglass windows, unusual suspension setup and a dash plate bearing the name of a racetrack tipped the owner to its racing history. But what he didn't know is that the car is one of only six 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest Super Duty coupes ever made. Hemmings recently did a story on the rare cars in which they listed all ever built. This one looks to have been driven by Stan Antlocer and was the fastest drag car in 1963 before disappearing.

Reading through the questions on the auction gives us reason to believe the seller truly didn't know the car's provenance. In his answers, he seems both surprised by the car's potential value as well as overwhelmed by the attention. He turned down an offer of $160,000 to end the auction early because he feared getting negative eBay feedback. That decision paid off. With only seven minutes remaining, the highest offer was $95,000. When the virtual gavel fell, eBayer ccsi2000 had bought a very rare, if a little rusty, LeMans for $226,521. Thanks for the tip, Trevor!

Here is the auction link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pont...001QQitemZ110306170567QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I followed that auction from when it was about $85 grand. The questions to the seller may have indicated who purchased the car. A question was asked about the high bidder not having any feedback. The seller did mention his name, saying --- ---- does not need feedback. We have heard of the guy mentioned, he has a late nite tv show for now.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
wow, that is crazy

love this part from teh questions :D

Q: High bid has ZERO feedback! LOL! Goodluck. Nov-08-08
A: jay leno has high feedback, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supposedly it was purchased by a guy on the east coast.

On a somewhat related note, my friend Brian claims that we know the person who has the aluminum front end. It would be interesting if that turned out to be true.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did rblack...thanks though. you're pretty thrifty.

Don't respond w/ snide comments in the future. Makes for a lesser forum.

I was trying to carry on a conversation for those, like myself, under the age of 25, that didn't know the relevance of this car. These questions make searching forums easier.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Factory lightweights were built in very limited numbers by the manufacturers in the 60's. They were factory race cars designed to one-up the competition. Cars like the Ford Thunderbolt were rare, and can bring $250k. But this one goes one step further, being more unusual and rare. There may be 4 of 12 still in existence. Also with a documented racing pedigree, cars like this really can't even be given a value.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
1848 I was not replying with a snide comment, some on here do not read every post. I would think that the following would be a good explanation, guess it was not.

The car's plexiglass windows, unusual suspension setup and a dash plate bearing the name of a racetrack tipped the owner to its racing history. But what he didn't know is that the car is one of only six 1963 Pontiac LeMans Tempest Super Duty coupes ever made. Hemmings recently did a story on the rare cars in which they listed all ever built. This one looks to have been driven by Stan Antlocer and was the fastest drag car in 1963 before disappearing.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I seen a tempest wagon on tv a few years ago factory drag car very cool. It was part of a collection a guy had. He passed away and his wife was selling all the cars it was sad. They were all factory drag cars and or light weights. I think between all six it was almost a million they brought. I forget what show it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.