Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a NX Wet Nitrous system with all the lil accesories and was planning on using a 75 shot....what u guys think about running nitrous and so on? Tips, opinions, experiences, etc?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Many people run NOS without any problems, but many have problems as well. I just don't like the way that with NOS it is difficult to get an accurate tune because the pressure in the bottle is never the same.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Make sure you have a strong fuel pump (Focus SVT) and fuel press switch. Colder spark plugs gapped at .038 and you should be good.

I had a 100shot and went thru 20 bottles and never had a custom tune. Worked great and ran like a raped ape.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The technology thats available today makes running nitrous a safe and viable power adder. Do your homework on nitrous kits, not all kits are the same. I personally would recomend NOS's nozzle kit. No puddling issues, comes with a fuel pressure switch, and is well engineered. As far as bottle pressure goes there are devices available that monitor and cool or heat the bottle to keep pressure in the 950psi range. Good luck.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
BULLITT3629 said:
As far as bottle pressure goes there are devices available that monitor and cool or heat the bottle to keep pressure in the 950psi range. Good luck.
True, you can still have the same pressure, but it will not have the same amount of nos every spray. By heating the bottle you are actually lowering the concentration.

·
Registered
222 Posts
you can run a 75 shot with a stock fuel pump and no tune and it will work just fine. burnt pistons? who do you know that "burned a piston"?

·
Registered
222 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
One of the DFW members. Had to rebuild his engine.
so you're the guy on DFW?

what i'm saying here is that everybody is like OHHHHH NO YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT! when it comes to nitrous, everybody talks about all this stuff they have seen or heard... i'd rather talk to the people that know from personal experience. nitrous doesn't hurt stuff, stupid people with nitrous hurt stuff. you wouldn't need any tune with a 75 shot and you sure as hell aren't going to hurt your motor with it. i've sprayed double that without a tune and didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
MyLittlePwny said:
when it comes to nitrous, everybody talks about all this stuff they have seen or heard... i'd rather talk to the people that know from personal experience.
I think if you search a little on some of the larger boards such as modulardepot.com and corral.net you will find those who have burned pistons from running nitrous (and superchargers, and turbos etc.).

MyLittlePwny said:
you wouldn't need any tune with a 75 shot and you sure as hell aren't going to hurt your motor with it.
thats kind of generalized. i dont think you can come to the conclusion that the motor will be safe. there have been plenty of motors let go from aftermarket parts less dangerous than a power adder such as nitrous. an off the shelf chip can damage a motor, but you dont think an untuned nitrous kit will?

MyLittlePwny said:
i've sprayed double that without a tune and didn't hurt anything.
there have also been cars tuned up to and past 450 rwhp on stock shortblocks that have lasted, but i would be willing to bet that these cars are in the minority. if you are running a 150 shot without any kind of a tune, you are living on borrowed time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
bullitt890 said:
I think if you search a little on some of the larger boards such as modulardepot.com and corral.net you will find those who have burned pistons from running nitrous (and superchargers, and turbos etc.).

thats kind of generalized. i dont think you can come to the conclusion that the motor will be safe. there have been plenty of motors let go from aftermarket parts less dangerous than a power adder such as nitrous. an off the shelf chip can damage a motor, but you dont think an untuned nitrous kit will?

there have also been cars tuned up to and past 450 rwhp on stock shortblocks that have lasted, but i would be willing to bet that these cars are in the minority. if you are running a 150 shot without any kind of a tune, you are living on borrowed time.
the only reason people have "burned a piston" is because they ran out of fuel or their tune was out of wack to begin with. the reason you can hurt a motor with a chip is the same as above, they didn't have enough fuel in the tune.

NOS, ZEX and the like do a LOT of testing with absolutely bone stock cars, not a single thing done to them. i have a personal friend that worked at NOS for a number of years and did their testing. he has told me numerous times about their testing and how they would spray the ever loving christ out of cars and not change one single thing on the tune and it wouldn't run lean. nitrous kits are designed to compensate for the nitrous with fuel, be it through your injectors or adding fuel through the nozzle. it isn't a guessing game, they have it down to a science. the amount of fuel that is required for the nitrous is all done either through the brain of the kit or the fuel jet that goes with the correlating nitrous jet on a wet kit.

so i repeat, YOU WILL NOT HURT THE MOTOR! unless you are running barely within the limits of your current fuel system, there will be absolutely no problem.

also, i have a friend that ran for 3 years on a 215 shot on his mustang with zero tune... but you're right, it finally came apart. he got tired of it and put a turbo on it and went 10.30s. stock short block. borrowed time? lol

oh yea i forgot to add, he went 10.30s without a tune. ;)

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
MyLittlePwny said:
Nope, that was Phillip (Bullitt3246).

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
MyLittlePwny said:

what i'm saying here is that everybody is like OHHHHH NO YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT! when it comes to nitrous, everybody talks about all this stuff they have seen or heard... i'd rather talk to the people that know from personal experience. nitrous doesn't hurt stuff, stupid people with nitrous hurt stuff. you wouldn't need any tune with a 75 shot and you sure as hell aren't going to hurt your motor with it. i've sprayed double that without a tune and didn't hurt anything.
No I am not the "guy" on DFW stangs.
See this post:

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1710490&postcount=7

Bone stock motor with nothing added...... lasted 8 months. So your friend at NOS needs to see this. If it is so safe what happened here???? ANY power adder with the right conditions can cause the engine to fail. Without a tune you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You should be OK with a 75 or 100shot..... and thats coming from someone who had an NX wet kit and shot 20 bottles or more. Good fuel pump... fuel press switch cutoff and NGK TR6 plugs properly gapped and you should be fine. After going thru a bottle or two, I'd check/replace the plugs just in case.

Go for it.... I would not lead you down the wrong path.... Those who have had an engine failure was because of something else. Either they got too greedy and went 150-175shot or bad fuel pump... not enough fuel press and no press switch or something related like that. Cant speak for everyone but I say this from personal experience and thats my .02

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
running nitrous is going to increase the pressure on a given motor. and just running out of fuel is not the cause for so many blown motors. there are numerous cases of cars with correct tunes that come apart. the stock shortblock just is not designed to take that kind of power. why would ford spend the extra cash on the 03/04 cobras to add built internals? if someone could add a 150 shot with enough fuel and the motor hold together, there would not be companies offering built shortblocks. i would not be going to the trouble of researching built shortblocks and blower combos if it was that easy to add 150.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
i blew my engine with just a chip (no dyno tune).. that was the reason i didnt supercharge in the first place... so i wouldnt have to spend $$$ on a motor... and low and behold, woila! i needed another motor 2 weeks later!

who'd ever thunk that would happen??!!??!

im a firm believer in dyno tunes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
bullitt890 said:
running nitrous is going to increase the pressure on a given motor. and just running out of fuel is not the cause for so many blown motors. there are numerous cases of cars with correct tunes that come apart. the stock shortblock just is not designed to take that kind of power. why would ford spend the extra cash on the 03/04 cobras to add built internals? if someone could add a 150 shot with enough fuel and the motor hold together, there would not be companies offering built shortblocks. i would not be going to the trouble of researching built shortblocks and blower combos if it was that easy to add 150.
lol okay dude, the people that have ran nitrous are telling you that it will be fine, but you know more than they do, because you read something on the internet.

i'll say it again. the ONLY reason that you're going to hurt your motor when spraying correctly is from lack of fuel. either you ran out of injector, ran out of pump, pump was on its way out, pump died, you ran out of gas, you were LOW on gas and the pump cavitated, bad tune to begin with or you just plain had the wrong jets in. the only other way you're going to hurt the engine is bouncing it off the limiter while spraying or spraying way too early.

but you know, this is just coming from a guy that personally had a 150 shot on a stock LONG block, you're probably a much more credible source.

also, if it was that bad, wouldn't you think that the guy with the low 11 second stock longblock bullitt would blow his **** sky high every time he got on it? pull your head out of your ass and listen to people that know what they are talking about.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts