Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
#776 Fred Cardone's Bullitt

I am the owner of Fred Cardone's 776 Bullitt.
After years of research I believe to have tracked down a little information. I believe user name -Cape Bullitt is Fred's brother but seems there hasn't been activity from his account in a while. If my understanding is correct "Cape Bullitt" had 3 owners and then my trail went cold. I've owned and Loved this car for 7+/- years. I've always told my friends & family, "There is something VERY special about my car.. there's someone else riding with me." (including Jesus) ..it is precious to me and Loved beyond what a "normal" car should be. It's my understanding there was a picture of Fred to remain in his car for the rest of it's days, unfortunately when I bought it there was not. If you know anything about Fred and his car I would Love to hear about it. Please know that it sits quietly in my garage, in the perfect condition he left it in, only now it has 88K miles. It has been so good to me and I think for many good reasons. I look forward to the rest of my days in it.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Fred Cardone's handle on the site was BULLITT 369. If you want to do any review of his activity on this site, just do a search of his posts using that handle.
Fred passed away due to kidney cancer in 2004.
His brother Mike then owned the car, and posted on the site under the handle of CapeBullitt.

You might try reaching out to Matt, FCMCBULLITT 2. He bought the car from Mike, where his handle (FCMC) was made up of the initials of Fred and Mike in their honor. Matt is still active on the board, so may have some stories to tell. He only owned the car for one year, selling it in the spring of 2007.

In the meantime, hopefully you are aware that there is a very special annual award that is dedicated to Fred and another individual (Chris Lindberg, a Ford Engineer)...The Spirit of Bullitt Award. See this link: http://www.imboc.com/forums/143-nat...17-cardone-lindberg-spirit-bullitt-award.html

Fred Cardone was the original owner of 776, and was a very active member on the board in the initial years of this site, as well as being one of the most active and ardent supporters of the Bullitt.

Fred ultimately was a huge driving force that inspired many of the great things that define the Bullitt community.

Fred was very vocal and active in trying to organize meet and greets, motivating owners to gather and get to know each other personally. I first met him at the MCA 25th Anniversary Show on Sept 27-30 2001 at the Commerce Dragway Georgia. It was one of the largest gatherings of Bullitt's to have taken place at that time, and, many of the Bullitt related Ford personnel were at the event. As such, our cars were the first to have been autographed, which gave us bragging rights on the board for some time. On the board, he actively encouraged members to do the same in their own regions, and he himself was a constant flag waver in organizing Bullitt owners to meet at various events in the south. Fred had obtained a huge cache of the Ford Bullitt posters, which he offered for sale on the site. But, it was also one of his 'motivators' for others to come to an event with the carrot of receiving a free Miller Beer Bullitt poster if you bought a Bullitt poster. The funny thing was the Miller Beer posters were highly sought after and expensive to obtain even then! His activism in turn helped to spur the concept, and early discussions of organizing a National Bullitt gathering. Ultimately, a Bullitt owner in Texas, Wade Koch, took the bull by the horn and with a few other members on the board organized the first Bullitt Nationals held in Ennis TX in Oct 2002. The Bullitt Nationals have continued annually since then...where...the roots of which can at least be partially attributed to Fred.

One of the early problems with all things Bullitt was that after market companies were unable to obtain rights to use "Bullitt". Anybody who attempted to produce and sell items were hit with a cease and desist from Warner Bros. As such, very few Bullitt related items were available on the market...or for very long. But of course everyone was clamoring for any Bullitt related apparel. Fred took the initiative to personally fund and create several Bullitt clothing items to sell on the site, such as shirts and jackets. HoonDog (the Bullitt event organizing non-profit) has a "museum" of various iconic Bullitt items, one item which is an original Fred produced Bullitt polo shirt, donated last year by Matt (FCMCBULLITT 2). While Fred was obviously doing so towards making a personal profit, he did however forward a percentage of his sales towards supporting the operations of "The Bullitt Owners Club", the first name of IMBOC. Whether posters, or clothing, he always offered for sale stipulating the amount being directed to IMBOC. And, such started the concept of charitable giving on the site.

Fred was the first of the original owners to pass away, which was a very tragic event for the Bullitt community. In the early years of Bullitt events, a Ford engineer by the name of Chris Lindberg graciously supported us on numerous occasions, providing various dog and pony discussions about the production of the Bullitt. He too tragically passed at a young age. At the 5th Bullitt Nationals held in San Francisco in 2006, the Bullitt Event organizers created an annual award in honor of these two great individuals: The Spirit of Bullitt Award. The basis of the award is to recognize Bullitt owners who exemplify the spirit and legacy of Fred and Chris relative to their support of the Bullitt community and/or charitable giving.

When the Bullitt Nationals organizers ultimately incorporated as a charitable non-profit, HoonDog Performance Group, part of the motivation for doing so, and supporting various charities as we do, was in part due to Fred's legacy and initial lead in that direction.

You have a VERY special Bullitt Ginger, originally owned by a VERY special early member of this site. Fred kept that car in absolute pristine show shape, and was very proud of that car.
It sounds like you in turn will be a very special owner of 776.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Wow! Great post by both of you. Ginger 776, it's cool that you feel the spiritual connection in your Bullitt.
Bullitt3230, thanks for providing all the bitter sweet details. It really is a great story!
Bruce

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Bruce! I'm so excited to learn about Fred and his beloved Bullitt. It gives me chills to hear about this sweet man who Loved this car as much as I do today. There is no doubt in my mind that he would be proud of "her" still pristine condition.
(Ummm.... maybe not so much that a "stinkin' Ole GIRL" owns it!😂 y'all, I'm kidding!)

BULLITT3230, OH WOW!!!!! ..just wow is all I can say! This is definitely A LOT of wonderful information and I Thank You from the depths of my heart for taking your time to write and explain all of this just for me! This is my 2nd time ever to post and I feel a GREAT HONOR to even be here! So, Thank You both for your kind words and making me feel welcome!
BULLITT3230...I'm still trying to pry my brain and jaw from the floor! All I can think or say is THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will soak in your information, read more, dig harder and continue on with my 776 journey. I do not know where it's taking me but I'm positive that I have sweet support beside me...
With the greatest honors, Love and respect ~ginger

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
You're welcome Ginger. Fred was well respected on this site in the early years.

Not in my original post, but the basis of Fred's handle, Bullitt 369, is that he actually had two 01 Bullitt's.

His first, Bullitt 369 was in an accident and totaled. I seem to recall that the remains of 369 was purchased and hauled away to Great Britain.

He then purchased 776

The story of Fred's pic to remain in the car was the wishes of his brother Mike.
I doubt any of the original pics that may have existed of Fred on this site still exist. When The "Bullitt Owners Club" was renamed to IMBOC, and various platform changes occurred over the years, many pics from the early years were lost.
But, like I mentioned, get in touch with Matt...he may have something, or, possibly know who to contact who may have something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts