Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've pretty much got everything I need minus a few small things. Here are the new 8.8 31 spline upgraded parts.....

Eaton 31 spline Posi-trac/limited slip differential

Moser 31 spline Axles

Roush differential cover!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VORTECD said:
Are you buying new abs sensor rings? It doesn't appear that you have the collers for them though.
I was thinking about just using the factory ones. They can be pressed off right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Yeah they can be. I ended up buying new ones since they were not that much. I can't tell in your pic if the collars are installed on your axles. The rings have a bigger inside diameter then the axles so they have to press on collars as I call them. They usually ask if you need them since they are not automatically put on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VORTECD said:
Yeah they can be. I ended up buying new ones since they were not that much. I can't tell in your pic if the collars are installed on your axles. The rings have a bigger inside diameter then the axles so they have to press on collars as I call them. They usually ask if you need them since they are not automatically put on.
There is a little step-up already on the axles that is not part of the orginial axle shaft. It looks like what you are talking about. I will get a close up picture in a little bit and post it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VORTECD said:
Yeah they can be. I ended up buying new ones since they were not that much. I can't tell in your pic if the collars are installed on your axles. The rings have a bigger inside diameter then the axles so they have to press on collars as I call them. They usually ask if you need them since they are not automatically put on.
Talking about these?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
yep, that looks like them. I bought the rings from Latemodel Restoration Supply out of Texas for $17.95 each. When I bought my axles I was asked if I needed the collars. They were $30 extra over the $225.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VORTECD said:
yep, that looks like them. I bought the rings from Latemodel Restoration Supply out of Texas for $17.95 each. When I bought my axles I was asked if I needed the collars. They were $30 extra over the $225.
My moser axles came with the collars. I've already got both ABS rings removed from the factory axles. I need to go have them pressed on somewhere or I might just beat them on like I did to get them off..... Didn't hurt a thing!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
884 Posts
Bullitt3246 said:
My moser axles came with the collars. I've already got both ABS rings removed from the factory axles. I need to go have them pressed on somewhere or I might just beat them on like I did to get them off..... Didn't hurt a thing!
Use a rubber mallet and a brass punch and you shouldn't have a problem getting them on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
I used a piece of pipe over the axle shaft to get them started, so they would be squared up. I sandwiched part of an old roller bearing in between the pipe and the tone ring to prevent damage. That was the toughest part. Once I could see they were started correctly, I used a punch to walk them down into place. I believe I used that old bearing there too, and struck it with the punch instead of the tone ring. The first one probably took me an hour to figure out. The second one took about 10 minutes.

Actually, gorilla'ing them on was one of the few options I had. I took the rings and axles to two machine shops and no one wanted to touch them.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top