Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention...At Mustangworld.com there's a twin turbo 95 gt, it's pushing 800 ponies! If you check out the mods to the engine they do not include forged rods or pistons! Many people here are suggesting that even if you add a supercharger to the Bullitt we need to build from the bottom up. I do realize that that is a 5.0 engine but 800 hp? Do we really need to build up our internals if we're shooting for around 500hp? My (local) ford tech guy says no? Who is the definative authority on this subject? Please respond. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I beg to differ. There is at least one thing you'll have to change on an 500 HP Bullitt, and you'll have to change it often.

The seats! :wink:

Did anyone see a 1/4 mile time since he did the mod? All I saw was pre-turbo.

I DARE someone on here to do this to their Bullitt! I triple-dog dare ya! :wink:

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Turbos are fairly easy on engine parts when compared to superchargers and nitrous. It is not uncommon to see some serious horsepower made with stock engines using a turbo or two. To me that is the way to go. It may cost a little more up front, but thats all you need. I talked about this when I first got the car, if they make a kit, I would think about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-09-03 14:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O1GTB. Let me get this straight, if it's done with a turbo (or two!) our little 4.6's could handle 800hp? What other things would have to be done to the engine? What would happen to the torque? Did someone actually dare me? How tempermental would a 800hp twin turbo Bullitt be? Has anyone put a turbo on a Bullitt yet?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
No, I am not gonna point blank say a stock mod motor will handle 800 horsepower. Detonation at that boost level would be bad and do bad things. But boost via turbo is not as hard on an engine as the other two forms of power adder. You also have wastegates to adjust boost, so you don't have to make 800 hp, you can dial them in.

I have seen loads of 5.0 Mustangs making big numbers with stock engine components. The 5.0 isn't blowproof itself.

As far as torque, nothing builds that like a turbo :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
at high power levels, the mod motor is actually pretty stout, though high piston speeds are murder on hypereutectic pistons and the stock con-rods, and detonation is absolute suicide on the stock pistons and rods.
If I was building a high-hp mod motor, I would at least swap the pistons and rods to quality forged pieces.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yep. The stock bottom end will support a pretty good horsepower load. As Rara noted, you need to keep the rpm's down and avoid detonation at all costs. That means giving up a bit of horsepower to run it rich and with conservative timing and the motor will run for years.

Brian

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2001-09-05 10:37, FordBullitt wrote:
Yep. The stock bottom end will support a pretty good horsepower load. As Rara noted, you need to keep the rpm's down and avoid detonation at all costs. That means giving up a bit of horsepower to run it rich and with conservative timing and the motor will run for years.

Brian

or........ one missed 2nd-3rd powershift!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Brian, why powershift? JB's time was awesome and he didn't powershift! I think though a better shifter would be a smart move?

·
Registered
24 Posts
slight problem. there is no turbo kit for the 4.6L yet. Incon has one that has been "about to come out" for years. Another company has a similiar setup. And then a third (I forget who) had a single turbo setup that was featured in mustangworks, but it just looked all wrong. the turbo was in an odd location and the exhaust routing was less than efficient (visually). Oh, it also fell into the "under development" category.

So, 5.0's have a twin turbo option and 4.6's have to keep wishing. sucks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittMatt on 2001-09-10 13:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
65 Posts
TDC makes turbo for the 4.6
-A guy on the corral is running a stage 2 tdc turbo setup. I havent check their boards in awhile.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The cost might slow me down from breaking out my credit card for all that HP. But I would at least think about it though. The risk and probabillity of voiding my warranty on the car totally keeps me away from something like this. Anybody else?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Somewhere on this site a comment was made that TDC puts there turbo in a "bad" location were (the author of the post thought) it wasn't as safe as other turbo's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts