Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

A brief reply, please...what's your favorite finish care?

2K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  cammo-bdu 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about Meguire's. I'm not sure I can justify the Zaino costs/labor. I like my California Car Duster, too. I can tell my finish is now hardened. It's not scratching, at all. It's time for me to get to it.

#3 ·
I just got finished using Zaino polish.
I can say that it is the best shine I ever seen. I used Z1, Z2 and Z5
The glass cleaner is awesome. My brother used it on his 81 vette and it removed ALL the spots. :smile:

#7 ·
I tried Zymol when I first got my Bullitt. It got out all those nasty swirlies that were in the paint from the factory. It was $22 at Advance Auto but I saw it yesterday at Auto Zone for $12. In between a full wax job I like Turtle Express Wax. It's got Carnuba wax in it and it's really fast and easy to use.

#10 ·
Just got done doing mine today with Zaino.
Started with the Clay Bar, then
Z1,Z5,Z6. Figure about 4 hours. But that is because I did the Clay Bar and washed real well in between...
The next time should be less than an hour. My first impression is that it brings the green out more in the DHG.
I bought from the local AZ Zaino Dist. If you are in AZ you can contact
Glen Swenson
grswensen@earthlink.net

#11 ·
I use both Meguires and Mothers products. Use Mothers wash, and 3 step wax, and Meguires polish. Also use Lexol for the leather...

#12 ·
I am trying to use Zaino :mad: Got the car washed at the shop, clay barred it, washed it again, Z1'd, Z5'd, left it on overnight. Guess what Florida humidity, 10 hours later still not dry. Also apparently my shop has extremely hard water, the car had white water spots all over it the next day from the scoop and lights.

So today I brought the car to the house to wash it, turned out much better. Took it back to the shop without it getting to much dust on the 5 mile trip back and even dodged the rain :smile:. Got it back inside, finished mopping up the left over drops. It looked real good...ready to Z2 :grin: About that time a nice gust of wind came through and created a vortex as it went past the shop, blowing all the dust directly on my car :mad: :mad: :mad: Also the shop has a 14 foot ceiling that is impossible to clean, so stuff falls off and builds up in a couple days. I don't know how I'm gonna ever get this thing Zaino'd :???:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-12 21:41 ]</font>

#13 ·
I too am in the middle of applying Zaino. I did the wash and clay bar followed by the polish lok and then the Z-2. However, I got impatient and didn't quite wait long enough for it to completely dry so it was a job getting it off. However, I can say that I agree with "mid life" that it brings out the richness of the green. I plan to do two coats of the Z-2 before moving on the Z-5. All in all I would say it's as good as the Zymol that I was using in the past. In the past in between waxes and right after car washes I used either Eagle One, Meguiar's or Mothers quick spray which really brings the shine back nicely.

#14 ·
Hey 01,
The water here is really hard, imagine that, so after I dry the car off as best I can I let it dry and then go back and any water spots I mist with a spray bottle with distilled water, and then dry that off. Usually does pretty well. After looking at the Bullitt all day I was not sure how it looked compared to before I started so I sent the wife out to look at it and she had the same impression that it brought the green out of the paint more.

#16 ·
Hi MSUBULLITT,
It is going to sound a little weird but it is actually a bar of Clay. You mix in a little Zaino car wash in with water in a spray bottle for lubrication. Spray an area and then slide the clay over the area. What it does is to remove junk off the paint. Does not touch the paint or clear coat.
http://www.zainobros.com/files/z18.htm
It does take some time but it is not as hard as it sounds at first.
I hate to say this but one of their advertised features is that the finish will repeal dust... YEAH RIGHT. Well when I got up this morning I normally hit it with the california duster but no need to this morning. I will wait a few more days to see if I believe it or not though.

#18 ·
saw the results of a "test" somewhere and Zaino was rated the best but to be honest,... i don't have the time to strip, clay bar, and then put on 2 coats of Zaino.
i've had pretty good comments with the Eagle 1 Wet too!

#19 ·
have you guys tried a product by rain-x?.its a car wash and as it dries leaves no spots.
I tried it yesterday afternoon/ early evening after the kids ball game and 1994 got all dusty etc..works really well..no water spots at all including the next day after the scoop dripped on the bumper... might want to try it.bought it at autozone

#21 ·
ZAINO.

Z-1, Z-2, Z-6, Z-6, Z-6!

First coat takes longer. And then it is much easier.

However, when it is humid it takes forever to dry, like overnight. In the crisp Wisconsin days I have let it sit for 2 or 3 hours and it is fully dry and comes right off... perfect.

Roushraven... Z-5 after Z-2 sounds backwards. The application guidelines say Z-2 has better optical qualities and should be the finishing product.

#22 ·
3M's professional produxts are the way to go. I've always used them and they do a wonderful job. Easy to use.. on and off. they have a full line of stuff depending on what you need.
Great stuff and not too expensive either.

#23 ·
Thanks Trooper. I applied mine using the "tips" from the Zaino web page. Anyway, I just washed it again and will try the Z-5, Z-2 and then Z-6. Looks like I'll have a lot a fun in the garage when the rain returns.

#24 ·
It"s a synthetic clay bar used to remove above surface deposits like tree sap, bugs,ect. used with detailing spray to lubricate the paint surface so the bar slides over the surface easier. Does not remove below surface imperfections. Works pretty well. Great on older paint that has been neglected for a while, followed by a cleaner wax. I like meguires entire line.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bubba Bullitt on 2001-08-14 02:06 ]</font>

#25 ·
Zaino Z1 and Z2 rock! The glass polisher is amazing as well. I have removable braket for my eMap GPS unit that usually mounts to my front windshield of my 300M via a 3" diameter suction cup. Over time, this leaves a pretty visible ring that is near impossible to get off using conventional cleaners. The Zaino glass polish removed it entirely! I bet all of you with radar deterctors mounted in a similar manner have had the same concerns.

That being said, I just can't get myself to mount a radar detector to my Bullitt because it would detract from the retro appeal that I love about the car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.