Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, the A/c clutch started making this metallic clunking, clanking sound. Makes the sound only while the A/C is off. Goes away when I engage the A/C. I figure it is about to go. Anybody have any DIY instructions on how to change it? Is there anything else I should purchase for the swap besides the clutch assembly? O'Reilly Auto Parts has an O'Reilly/Murray new one for under $100 at my local store.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I just did the A/C on my F-150. I had the clutch start to go, but the repair shop I used could get a rebuilt clutch and compressor for $525. A new one for $585. I had them put the new one on. It has a three year warranty, labor included. Just a clutch? Don't do it. If one is on it's way the other isn't far behind, and if one goes, it can take the other. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dillo Dave said:
Today, the A/c clutch started making this metallic clunking, clanking sound. Makes the sound only while the A/C is off. Goes away when I engage the A/C. I figure it is about to go. Anybody have any DIY instructions on how to change it? Is there anything else I should purchase for the swap besides the clutch assembly? O'Reilly Auto Parts has an O'Reilly/Murray new one for under $100 at my local store.
Advance Auto has the OEM replacement for the same price. As a rule, anytime a pulley gets to acting up, I change the belt out as well, (mostly)just because I'm there. We put the Goodyear Belt # 4060945 on our Bullitts when we changed out the A/C clutches.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
you can get just the a/c clutch from ford and it takes about 20mins to replace. if i remember right its just the bolt in the center of it then it comes apart

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
240_Bullitt said:
you can get just the a/c clutch from ford and it takes about 20mins to replace. if i remember right its just the bolt in the center of it then it comes apart
There are two different clutches, and two different style of pullies. It depends on what he has. Could be three bolt, could be like you said, one bolt. Either way, if it's been run with a bad clutch he could have ruined or almost ruined the compressor front end bearings. Which fail later, and take out the new clutch...finicky Asian compressors.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I put a new clutch in my 1992 f150 about 8 years ago.The truck has 175,000 miles on it and the rest of the air still works.Was worth the 60 bucks to just do the clutch.When my clutch siezed up I just unpluged the harness plug on the side till I fixed it.The air conditioner still gets power to it when the dial is set to defroster.Thats why I unplugged the plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts